There are 87 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Eddie Debartolo: A Football Life is on Tonight

Just a heads up Eddie Debartolo: A Football life is on tonight at 7:00 PM CST on the NFL network. Im looking forward to it and figured plenty of you guys would want to know.
DVR set !
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
DVR set !

Eddie is a big reason why this kid from the midwest grew up loving the 49ers. The image he crafted for that franchise and the success that he willed the team to were hugely influential in the way I watch sports in general. Not just winning, but doing so with class and dignity, became especially poignant to me as I watched the Dallas Cowboys do so in quite contrasting fashion. Anyone can jump on a bandwagon, but being a fan of a winning team because of the way they won and how they handled success was a different matter altogether.

That being said, my favorite Eddie D. moment came in a loss to the Packers at Lambeau. He came to fisticuffs with an intoxicated fan over the result of the game, and I just thought that not only does this guy have class, but he also don't take sh!t off nobody. O.G. Eddie D.
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:
Eddie is a big reason why this kid from the midwest grew up loving the 49ers. The image he crafted for that franchise and the success that he willed the team to were hugely influential in the way I watch sports in general. Not just winning, but doing so with class and dignity, became especially poignant to me as I watched the Dallas Cowboys do so in quite contrasting fashion. Anyone can jump on a bandwagon, but being a fan of a winning team because of the way they won and how they handled success was a different matter altogether.

That being said, my favorite Eddie D. moment came in a loss to the Packers at Lambeau. He came to fisticuffs with an intoxicated fan over the result of the game, and I just thought that not only does this guy have class, but he also don't take sh!t off nobody. O.G. Eddie D.

Eddie is gangsta.....in more ways than one.

With regards to his class.....look at how loved he was as AN OWNER. I doubt Jerry Jones is/was loved as much.....or the Rooneys, Maras......owners that are often held to higher regard for their longstanding relationship with the NFL along with not having a legal snafu.

Have we ever heard Lawrence Taylor, Terry Bradshaw, Phil Simms, Franco Harris, etc. talk glowingly about their owner? Doubt it.

Eddie is GOAT of NFL OWNERS.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Oct 24, 2012 at 11:23 AM ]
I was thinking they might have to do a Bill Walsh one....i was waiting...and waiting...then they did one of Tebow... ....WTF.....but this Eddie D one should be good...still wanna see the one with Walsh....
lol Tebow.
He was the MAN!

Thanks for the heads-up on the show.
The other owners didn't want to spend their own money to compete with Eddie so they had the "league" institute the salary cap.
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
DVR set !

+1. Now where is the Bill Walsh football life ? How Tebow has one already and the person who invented/created modern football doesnt is dumbfounding. They could actually make two; one about the man himself and another about his coaching tree.
I'll upload it onto Youtube once its on TYT.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Eddie is gangsta.....in more ways than one.

With regards to his class.....look at how loved he was as AN OWNER. I doubt Jerry Jones is/was loved as much.....or the Rooneys, Maras......owners that are often held to higher regard for their longstanding relationship with the NFL along with not having a legal snafu.

Have we ever heard Lawrence Taylor, Terry Bradshaw, Phil Simms, Franco Harris, etc. talk glowingly about their owner? Doubt it.

Eddie is GOAT of NFL OWNERS.

Gangsta indeed. There's no way this guy and the family aren't in with "The Family".
CAN'T WAIT!
I've been waiting for this to air, since it was announced after last Wednesday's
episode. Under two hours to wait ... it should be an very interesting show.

Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
The other owners didn't want to spend their own money to compete with Eddie so they had the "league" institute the salary cap.

The "Eddie D" Niners - excuse the expression - were Plug and Play. If and when a Key Cog on the offensive, or defensive side of the
ball went down to injury ... the next player up, was usually of starter (or near starter) caliber. Player were willing to come to SF, make
damn near starter money, and be assured of making the Play-offs, season after season. The team/bench, was deep and strong.

First team to use non commercial airlines (had their own) while traveling to and from games ... the training facility (then) was State of
The Art. The perks afforded to players, and their families, was second to none. Even those of us in the Press Corps, were treated very
well.

The pre-game meal served, was a notch above that of other franchises ... and in general, the Game Day information (stats and updates),
team Media Guide, and the promotional give-a-ways always wowed visiting teams administrative and Media personnel.

Yes, "Eddie D", was The Man !
[ Edited by FlayvaMeister on Oct 24, 2012 at 5:21 PM ]
Originally posted by Whomeam:
I'll upload it onto Youtube once its on TYT.

Thank you bro. Please check back and upload a link, I got no NFL Network here.