LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

Switch to a 4-3 defense already

Shop Find 49ers gear online
... switch to a 4-3 to improve our pass rush? what DE's do you think we have that are going to be a improvement?
Originally posted by bleeds9ersredandgold:
the defense already ONLY sends 4 rushers on almost every play, why not switch.... Seriously we have the players to do AS SOON AS NEXT YEAR.
we would have Smith, Smith, Ice, and Raymac as Dline with Willis, Bowman and Brooks as LBS.. In this upcoming draft we could draft either a DE or LB to fit the system, and when you think about how many draft picks we have, could get both. Which would start or play major minutes compared to this year draft.

My main reason for bringing this to discussion is that we hardly ever use the 3-4 to its full use IMO.. Rarely do we send more then 4 rushers and its seems to me ( at least) that they are always the same guys. When a 3-4 you should be sending everybody and anybody on any given play.

Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
if this does not work you want to switch to a 4-6? Big Elephant package? Stay in goaline formation?

Look full disclosure I prefer the 4-3.. That being said... really when you think about can you really say that we run the 3-4 to its FULL effect????

The 3-4 defense is going out of style because teams are going away from the run more and more which makes the 3-4 a bunch of crap. The 3-4 was invented to confuse the offense, which IMO the 9ers don't do. We send the same guys almost every time.

So if teams are moving away from the run, you would rather switch to a defensive scheme which basically locks 4 players to the LOS as opposed to 3.

I like the 3-4. It's as versatile as you can get in a defense if you have the personnel to run it, which we do.
Originally posted by mkmasn:
So if teams are moving away from the run, you would rather switch to a defensive scheme which basically locks 4 players to the LOS as opposed to 3.

I like the 3-4. It's as versatile as you can get in a defense if you have the personnel to run it, which we do.

Great point.
um no
  • fryet
  • Veteran
We already have the #1 pass defense in the league - why would we want to change it? I think we are #12 against the run, and I suppose a 4-3 would help with that more, but that area has never been a point of weakness for us. I would rather not spend draft picks on new defensive players that would have to start in our new 4-3. I like the players that we have currently. Let's instead draft some defensive backups that can grow into the system instead.

Also, the 49ers of old ran a 3-4 with Charles Haley. And yes, he was normally rushing the QB like Aldon. It still worked then, and it is working now.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
WTF.
So instead of letting our best pass rusher stand up we should put his hand in the dirt and let him get beat up? Also we should lose the versatility of sending either OLB on the pass rush and just rush the same 4 and give the QB the easy recognition? I say if it ain't broke, dont fix it. Our D has been strong for quite some time so why change it now. Plus it's just a BASE defense. It's not like we don't put 4 Dlineman in at certain times.
Well ok hats off to the author for thinking outside the box a little, its cool. But I think 3/4 is doing fine right now, maybe another blitz or two wouldn't hurt though.
let's not and say we did.
the defense already ONLY sends 4 rushers on almost every play, why not switch.... Seriously we have the players to do AS SOON AS NEXT YEAR.
we would have Smith, Smith, Ice, and Raymac as Dline with Willis, Bowman and Brooks as LBS.. In this upcoming draft we could draft either a DE or LB to fit the system, and when you think about how many draft picks we have, could get both. Which would start or play major minutes compared to this year draft.

My main reason for bringing this to discussion is that we hardly ever use the 3-4 to its full use IMO.. Rarely do we send more then 4 rushers and its seems to me ( at least) that they are always the same guys. When a 3-4 you should be sending everybody and anybody on any given play.

You clearly do not understand the 3-4 or 4-3.

Please lock.

Number 1 D in the league is not good enough!!!!
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Number 1 D in the league is not good enough!!!!

This.
Wow.
Originally posted by Eastcoastniner:
how about no scott

lol this lol
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Look full disclosure I prefer the 4-3.. That being said... really when you think about can you really say that we run the 3-4 to its FULL effect????

The 3-4 defense is going out of style because teams are going away from the run more and more which makes the 3-4 a bunch of crap. The 3-4 was invented to confuse the offense, which IMO the 9ers don't do. We send the same guys almost every time.

Then be a fan of a team with 4-3 personnel. We have two All-Pro ILBs. Lock it up.

lol if only you knew Bowman was an OLB in a 4-3 when we drafted him
Share 49ersWebzone