There are 108 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Switch to a 4-3 defense already

Originally posted by bleeds9ersredandgold:
I don' think Aldon is to small.. The man is a straight up beast. As for Brooks yes your right which is why I said Sub Packages rarely would he be in as a DE.

I love myself some 99, but he has a hard enough time defending the run from the OLB spot..
The 3-4 defense is going out of style because teams are going away from the run more and more which makes the 3-4 a bunch of crap. The 3-4 was invented to confuse the offense, which IMO the 9ers don't do. We send the same guys almost every time.
Yea it doesn't work for Houston at all.
Originally posted by bleeds9ersredandgold:
Alot considering that the NFL doesn't run the ball anymore. So running an out of date system doesn't really work. There is a reason Ice didn't see more then 5 snaps before playing the Vikings....

Wouldn't you prefer to have the best possible front 4 along with Willis and Bowman and another fast LB that would replace Brooks.

The reason Ice didn't see so many snaps before the vikes game is cause we played pass happy teams. Ice doesn't play on passing downs. Hes a hole stuffer on running downs. The opposing teams offense personnel dictates what personnel we must use on defense...
Originally posted by stonecold590:
The 3-4 defense is going out of style because teams are going away from the run more and more which makes the 3-4 a bunch of crap. The 3-4 was invented to confuse the offense, which IMO the 9ers don't do. We send the same guys almost every time.

Yea it doesn't work for Houston at all.

LOL


Really they run the 3-4 A HELLVA LOT BETTER THEN THE 9ERS DO...
Originally posted by cwilson830:
I love myself some 99, but he has a hard enough time defending the run from the OLB spot..

Ive seen him set the edge on running plays quite a few times this year. I thought hes done more than ok on defending the run..
Originally posted by awol36:
Originally posted by bleeds9ersredandgold:
Alot considering that the NFL doesn't run the ball anymore. So running an out of date system doesn't really work. There is a reason Ice didn't see more then 5 snaps before playing the Vikings....

Wouldn't you prefer to have the best possible front 4 along with Willis and Bowman and another fast LB that would replace Brooks.

The reason Ice didn't see so many snaps before the vikes game is cause we played pass happy teams. Ice doesn't play on passing downs. Hes a hole stuffer on running downs. The opposing teams offense personnel dictates what personnel we must use on defense...
Its my point exactly.. If we are going to spend the majority of our time in a pass defense why waste our draft picks on a defense designed to stop the run?
Originally posted by awol36:
Ive seen him set the edge on running plays quite a few times this year. I thought hes done more than ok on defending the run..

He's learning.
The monthly 4-3 thread has made its scheduled appearance
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Originally posted by awol36:
Ive seen him set the edge on running plays quite a few times this year. I thought hes done more than ok on defending the run..

He's learning.

I think Aldon's ability to play OLB is good, But he's ability to DE I think could be similar to J. Peppers. Which IMO is HOF.
Originally posted by bleeds9ersredandgold:
Its my point exactly.. If we are going to spend the majority of our time in a pass defense why waste our draft picks on a defense designed to stop the run?

Not every team is a pass happy team. Trends come and go. By the time defenses adapt to a pass happy league, its gonna leave them open to them getting ran on. And then it repeats it self all over again. Its just best to stay balanced. Being one dimensional is not the way to go
[ Edited by awol36 on Oct 21, 2012 at 4:56 PM ]
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Hey, Brooks could probably play ILB too. Let's do it.

I dont get what you are saying. Willis played a little OLB at ole miss, and certainly has the athletic ability to do so. Bowman WAS an olb in a 4-3 at Penn State, it was his natural position.

All I'm trying to say is that the transition could be smoother than you think. We don't have to switch to a base 4-3 but if we threw in those looks I think it could help.

The main reason would be to have our front seven always in position to do what they do best (IE Aldon, Brooks never dropping, etc)
Big nickel!!!!!!!!
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Oct 21, 2012 at 5:20 PM ]
Originally posted by bleeds9ersredandgold:
Originally posted by stonecold590:
The 3-4 defense is going out of style because teams are going away from the run more and more which makes the 3-4 a bunch of crap. The 3-4 was invented to confuse the offense, which IMO the 9ers don't do. We send the same guys almost every time.

Yea it doesn't work for Houston at all.

LOL


Really they run the 3-4 A HELLVA LOT BETTER THEN THE 9ERS DO...

They run it better because they can get a lead on a team
Originally posted by stonecold590:
The 3-4 defense is going out of style because teams are going away from the run more and more which makes the 3-4 a bunch of crap. The 3-4 was invented to confuse the offense, which IMO the 9ers don't do. We send the same guys almost every time.

Yea it doesn't work for Houston at all.
Do you know why the 34 became popular in the first place?
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home