LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

Switch to a 4-3 defense already

Shop Find 49ers gear online
the defense already ONLY sends 4 rushers on almost every play, why not switch.... Seriously we have the players to do AS SOON AS NEXT YEAR.
we would have Smith, Smith, Ice, and Raymac as Dline with Willis, Bowman and Brooks as LBS.. In this upcoming draft we could draft either a DE or LB to fit the system, and when you think about how many draft picks we have, could get both. Which would start or play major minutes compared to this year draft.

My main reason for bringing this to discussion is that we hardly ever use the 3-4 to its full use IMO.. Rarely do we send more then 4 rushers and its seems to me ( at least) that they are always the same guys. When a 3-4 you should be sending everybody and anybody on any given play.
[ Edited by bleeds9ersredandgold on Oct 21, 2012 at 3:22 PM ]
if this does not work you want to switch to a 4-6? Big Elephant package? Stay in goaline formation?
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
if this does not work you want to switch to a 4-6? Big Elephant package? Stay in goaline formation?

Look full disclosure I prefer the 4-3.. That being said... really when you think about can you really say that we run the 3-4 to its FULL effect????

The 3-4 defense is going out of style because teams are going away from the run more and more which makes the 3-4 a bunch of crap. The 3-4 was invented to confuse the offense, which IMO the 9ers don't do. We send the same guys almost every time.
Originally posted by cwilson830:

how about no scott
Originally posted by bleeds9ersredandgold:
Look full disclosure I prefer the 4-3.. That being said... really when you think about can you really say that we run the 3-4 to its FULL effect????

The 3-4 defense is going out of style because teams are going away from the run more and more which makes the 3-4 a bunch of crap. The 3-4 was invented to confuse the offense, which IMO the 9ers don't do. We send the same guys almost every time.

Then be a fan of a team with 4-3 personnel. We have two All-Pro ILBs. Lock it up.
I dont get why this guy is getting slammed. Its not that outlandish of an idea and I think we could try it. Bow and Willis could play OLB in a pinch
Originally posted by spizzy:
I dont get why this guy is getting slammed. Its not that outlandish of an idea and I think we could try it. Bow and Willis could play OLB in a pinch

Why change what is already the best?

Its all good about getting slammed, I was prepared for it. I KNOW THE IDEA OF SWITCHING TO A 4-3 IS NOT A POPULAR ONE in NinerTalk

I just think us running a 4-3 could be just as good or better... with Willis and Bowman and another LB that is just as fast the front 7 would be soooo much better.

Hey, Brooks could probably play ILB too. Let's do it.

It's webzone protocol
Originally posted by cwilson830:

Do your really think that our pass rush is good this year?

Don't you think NEXT year that with a front 4 Smith, Smith, Ice, Raymac or a top draft pick would be a better pass rush. You could always put Raymac inside also. The idea isn't that crazy.

All I know is this year's pass rush isn't that good, and Aldon isn't playing as well as he could.
Originally posted by bleeds9ersredandgold:
the defense already ONLY sends 4 rushers on almost every play, why not switch.... Seriously we have the players to do AS SOON AS NEXT YEAR.
we would have Smith, Smith, Ice, and Raymac as Dline with Willis, Bowman and Brooks as LBS.. In this upcoming draft we could draft either a DE or LB to fit the system, and when you think about how many draft picks we have, could get both. Which would start or play major minutes compared to this year draft.

My main reason for bringing this to discussion is that we hardly ever use the 3-4 to its full use IMO.. Rarely do we send more then 4 rushers and its seems to me ( at least) that they are always the same guys. When a 3-4 you should be sending everybody and anybody on any given play.

Seems like you dont to know how the 3-4 works. What makes it unique is the offense doesn't know which side the fourth rusher is coming from. You rarely rush all five rushers on the line...
[ Edited by awol36 on Oct 21, 2012 at 4:00 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone