There are 108 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Alex Boone at Guard the best roster move this year, so far?

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I have to go with Boone. This offensive line looks completely different line this year. Aldon Smith is handling the transition well. I'd actually like for us to draft a guy at OLB and play the role that Smith did last year- a pure pass rushing specialist on 3rd down. Either that, or a few more blitzes by the LBs. We have the athleticism at that position to get even more than we have out of that group.

I'm very pleased with the way Aldon is playing. He's such an asset to have. I would deff love to draft just a pass rusher as well to play on 3rd downs
What in the heck are you guys talkinga about? Aldon is an elite passrusher. You would take him off the field on 3rd downs for a rookie? If anything I'd put the rookie in on 1 and 2 and throw Aldon back on 3rd.....

This.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I have to go with Boone. This offensive line looks completely different line this year. Aldon Smith is handling the transition well. I'd actually like for us to draft a guy at OLB and play the role that Smith did last year- a pure pass rushing specialist on 3rd down. Either that, or a few more blitzes by the LBs. We have the athleticism at that position to get even more than we have out of that group.

I'm very pleased with the way Aldon is playing. He's such an asset to have. I would deff love to draft just a pass rusher as well to play on 3rd downs
What in the heck are you guys talkinga about? Aldon is an elite passrusher. You would take him off the field on 3rd downs for a rookie? If anything I'd put the rookie in on 1 and 2 and throw Aldon back on 3rd.....

This.


I believe that moving Aldon to left DE, Ray Mac, and Smith as the down lineman would open a spot at OLB. This is a great year to find a 3-4 outside linebacker.
I never said take Aldon off the field lol. I said I'd like to see us draft a guy to play the role he did in 2011 specifically for 3rd downs. He would be the other OLB. This isn't a knock against Ahmad Brooks at all. Just trying to get more pass rushers on the field. Taking Aldon off would be counter productive to the point I was trying to make.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I never said take Aldon off the field lol. I said I'd like to see us draft a guy to play the role he did in 2011 specifically for 3rd downs. He would be the other OLB. This isn't a knock against Ahmad Brooks at all. Just trying to get more pass rushers on the field. Taking Aldon off would be counter productive to the point I was trying to make.

So who would you take off the field in 3rd down situations for this extra pass rusher?
Member Milestone: This is post number 800 for SFrush.
Originally posted by Allx9er:
So who would you take off the field in 3rd down situations for this extra pass rusher?

You could rotate another pass rusher on some third downs with Brooks to keep him fresh. Of course this would be next season if we find another solid pass rusher.
hehe... opened this page thinking I'd get talk of Alex Boone... yet there's only talk of our.. pass rush and Aldon? Gotta love the WZ,
Um..I think I clearly said Ahmad Brooks. Back to Boone. This guy is great. The right side of our line reminds me of our left side in 2006 when Gore had his best season. I think Boone has helped to kill that ridiculous "Is Anthony Davis a bust?" talk. Amazing what plugging in a good guard can do. I will also be the first to admit I was against the move because it would leave us thin at tackle, but wow.
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
So who would you take off the field in 3rd down situations for this extra pass rusher?

You could rotate another pass rusher on some third downs with Brooks to keep him fresh. Of course this would be next season if we find another solid pass rusher.

find a player to do that on 1st/2nd down when called for and 3rd down shouldnt be a problem
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Is Alex Boone, at Guard, the best roster move this year, so far? If not, what is?

Here's a couple other ones that I like:
  • Mario Manningham at Wide Receiver
  • Aldon Smith to starting Outside Linebacker
  • Will Tukuafu to back-up Fullback

1) Boone
2) Manningham

Not sure about Aldon being better playing every down. He seemed to be a better attacker coming in on passing downs. He and the whole DLine were more disruptive last year.

Had my doubts about moving Boone from T to G but he has been an incredible addition. So much so that Goodwin has been singled out during games as making some good blocks...which seldom happened last year. Just a great example of the whole line being helped by the addition of one player...great chemistry brewing. Maybe all G's should be nearly 6'8"!

Manningham seems really comfortable with Smith and they have a nice rapport.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Is Alex Boone, at Guard, the best roster move this year, so far? If not, what is?

Here's a couple other ones that I like:
  • Mario Manningham at Wide Receiver
  • Aldon Smith to starting Outside Linebacker
  • Will Tukuafu to back-up Fullback

1) Boone
2) Manningham

Not sure about Aldon being better playing every down. He seemed to be a better attacker coming in on passing downs. He and the whole DLine were more disruptive last year.

Had my doubts about moving Boone from T to G but he has been an incredible addition. So much so that Goodwin has been singled out during games as making some good blocks...which seldom happened last year. Just a great example of the whole line being helped by the addition of one player...great chemistry brewing. Maybe all G's should be nearly 6'8"!

Manningham seems really comfortable with Smith and they have a nice rapport.

These are the two guys who should be top priorities to re-sign, although Boone may be playing himself into a larger contract than the 9ers can afford to pay.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,723
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Is Alex Boone, at Guard, the best roster move this year, so far? If not, what is?

Here's a couple other ones that I like:
  • Mario Manningham at Wide Receiver
  • Aldon Smith to starting Outside Linebacker
  • Will Tukuafu to back-up Fullback

1) Boone
2) Manningham

Not sure about Aldon being better playing every down. He seemed to be a better attacker coming in on passing downs. He and the whole DLine were more disruptive last year.

Had my doubts about moving Boone from T to G but he has been an incredible addition. So much so that Goodwin has been singled out during games as making some good blocks...which seldom happened last year. Just a great example of the whole line being helped by the addition of one player...great chemistry brewing. Maybe all G's should be nearly 6'8"!

Manningham seems really comfortable with Smith and they have a nice rapport.

These are the two guys who should be top priorities to re-sign, although Boone may be playing himself into a larger contract than the 9ers can afford to pay.

Do not worry about his contract.

Boone is signed until 2015. He will not be a free agent until 2016.