There are 458 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Our Red Zone play calling

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Given his success in the past I doubt this is the case. When you run for a loss on first down, run for a loss on second down and then hand Smith a 3rd and 15...what do you expect?

He seemed to find folks in the Jimmy Raye offense so what the h*ll's wrong with the play calling from Roman? Pass on first down, not third. The pass to Walker demonstrates how effective this scheme can be but they have to be patient, block well and allow the receivers to make plays after the catch. The short stuff generally opens up the deeper RZ passes. When you have 3rd and long the D doesn't have to guess.

Lol should we bring Jimmy Raye back? Our offense was atrocious when Alex Smiths red zone efficiency was at its best what does that tell you?
Next big test is the Cards.

With 10-11 days to get ready - we'll see is Alex improves and especially our Red Zone production.

I'm an Alex supporter BUT he can frustrate the hell out of me. Last year against Saints he was excellent. Last week against the Giants he was a turd.

The commentators, can't remember if NFL or ESPN, mentioned his accuracy has fallen off since the finger injury.

I don't know if that's true BUT the Cards game will tell us a lot.
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Lol should we bring Jimmy Raye back? Our offense was atrocious when Alex Smiths red zone efficiency was at its best what does that tell you?

Jimmy Raye for the RZ and Roman for the field...sounds like a winning formula! LOL! Can't believe that under Raye the team couldn't make it down the field often but seemed to score a TD when they did, and it's just the opposite with Roman. Will email JH and suggest he give Jimmy Raye a call...old folks home may let him out on Sundays.
Originally posted by Fricker:
Its not the play calling its Alex Smith.. Hes afraid to take shots.. The plays are called.. the Wide Receivers are Wide Open... he just gets flustered and checks it down or doesnt see the play.. Look at Moss wide open tonight and INT.

This

I agree 100% Alex has to get that ball out in put in play so the receivers can make a play on it.

alex kills me he routinely misses wide open receivers if he's the best QB we have we are in trouble

im ready too move on.
[ Edited by 94605NiNer on Oct 19, 2012 at 5:20 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Given his success in the past I doubt this is the case. When you run for a loss on first down, run for a loss on second down and then hand Smith a 3rd and 15...what do you expect?

He seemed to find folks in the Jimmy Raye offense so what the h*ll's wrong with the play calling from Roman? Pass on first down, not third. The pass to Walker demonstrates how effective this scheme can be but they have to be patient, block well and allow the receivers to make plays after the catch. The short stuff generally opens up the deeper RZ passes. When you have 3rd and long the D doesn't have to guess.

what sucess?? besides the saints game last year
I want to see us use gore more in the redzone and playaction and let Alex have a couple of shots. Not just one. it seems like we usually give him just ONE chance in the redzone. too much pressure.
Why no back shoulder throws/fades to Randall?

Or do we need to activate Swain for that?
Really hope we can get some better play calls in the red zone next week against the Cardinals.