LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

Our Red Zone play calling

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Is it me or does it seem like we dont take enough shots into the endzone?

Its always run on first & 2nd down in the redzone.

Something else i noticed Every time we run the "wild Kaep" the play is always designed too go to the left

Can they switch it up a little and not be so predictable....
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
I thought the offseason was dedicated to red zone offense to.

If anything, putting Kaep in on that play in the redzone against the seahwaks I felt disrupted the flow again.
Its not the play calling its Alex Smith.. Hes afraid to take shots.. The plays are called.. the Wide Receivers are Wide Open... he just gets flustered and checks it down or doesnt see the play.. Look at Moss wide open tonight and INT.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Fricker:
Its not the play calling its Alex Smith.. Hes afraid to take shots.. The plays are called.. the Wide Receivers are Wide Open... he just gets flustered and checks it down or doesnt see the play.. Look at Moss wide open tonight and INT.

this.

You can visually see the moment alex smith get's all flustered. He starts tap dancing and looking for somewhere to run, which often is right into a defenders hands. And it doesn't just happen in the endzone.

That play hurt to watch.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

this.

You can visually see the moment alex smith get's all flustered. He starts tap dancing and looking for somewhere to run, which often is right into a defenders hands. And it doesn't just happen in the endzone.

He was the one of best in the league if not the best in the redzone the year before Harbaugh and Co. took over. It's the play calling, it's putting more pressure on him. They just need to let him ball. Alex has a lot weighing in on him especially when they bring in Kaep. You could tell he was frustrated and felt he had to do too much in that pressure situation. Once the coaches take away that pressure he will be fine, call the plays that he likes to run in the redzone. It starts with the coaching and they need to figure it out collectively.
[ Edited by paperplanemedia on Oct 19, 2012 at 7:19 AM ]
Originally posted by 94605NiNer:
Is it me or does it seem like we dont take enough shots into the endzone?

Its always run on first & 2nd down in the redzone.

Something else i noticed Every time we run the "wild Kaep" the play is always designed too go to the left

Can they switch it up a little and not be so predictable....

Pretty sure, that's the only way CK can do it. He's limited.
Also, how many different passes you think CK practices each week?
Stop pulling AS and inserting CK, if the NYG game and that 1 snap last night didn't teach Harb/Roman anything, I don't know what will.
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:

this.

He was the one of best in the league if not the best in the redzone the year before Harbaugh and Co. took over. It's the play calling, it's putting more pressure on him. They just need to let him ball. Alex has a lot weighing in on him especially when they bring in Kaep. You could tell he was frustrated and felt he had to do too much in that pressure situation. Once the coaches take away that pressure he will be fine, call the plays that he likes to run in the redzone. It starts with the coaching and they need to figure it out collectively.

This is similar to my line of thinking. Smith has been successful in the red zone before, it shouldn't be the problem that it is.
Maybe let him call his own plays in the red zone? Could be interesting.

This. Help your starting QB so the team can get back to winning and where they left off last season, the NFCC, stop inserting the backup that practice on only a limited playbook that everyone has tape on already. It's so dumb and useless it's not even funny

Given his success in the past I doubt this is the case. When you run for a loss on first down, run for a loss on second down and then hand Smith a 3rd and 15...what do you expect?

He seemed to find folks in the Jimmy Raye offense so what the h*ll's wrong with the play calling from Roman? Pass on first down, not third. The pass to Walker demonstrates how effective this scheme can be but they have to be patient, block well and allow the receivers to make plays after the catch. The short stuff generally opens up the deeper RZ passes. When you have 3rd and long the D doesn't have to guess.

Alex Smith cannot see the whole field. He is who he is
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

this.

This and the coaches don't trust him not to f**k it up. He must be managed and limited. We are handicapped by him I understand why the coaches call those plays.
  • dugo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

this.

This is similar to my line of thinking. Smith has been successful in the red zone before, it shouldn't be the problem that it is.
Maybe let him call his own plays in the red zone? Could be interesting.

I think it's a combo of AS and the play calling... to predictable down there and AS doesn't look confident. Most of Romans play calling is plain as plain can be at anytime on the field..When they get in the red zone I think all that plain play calling gets into a condensed area and more times then not it Fails..I can't figure out if Roman just doesn't trust Smith to execute or what???? Just can't understand why any plays for VD are either designed or called for him down there
You treat Alex like Mark Sanchez, he'll play like Mark Sanchez. Stop being cute in the red zone.

Missing Moss in the back of the end zone was atrocious
Originally posted by MrTruth:
This. Help your starting QB so the team can get back to winning and where they left off last season, the NFCC, stop inserting the backup that practice on only a limited playbook that everyone has tape on already. It's so dumb and useless it's not even funny

Give it up fellas. Harbaugh doesn't trust Alex Smith to throw the ball with a short field. Its obvious.
Share 49ersWebzone