There are 113 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What happend to the offense on this team?

Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Alex somehow is regressing, and can't seem to play even decent against good teams.
The play calling has been really questionable.

He's really sub par against good defenses. What do you feel is bad about the play calling?

Last year we were just straight forward we didn't try anything cute, we didn't try to become a passing team. We were physical and ran the ball hard. This year I just feel there's been a lot of wtf play calling. Reverses on 3rd down. That wild Kaep s**t. Rotating QBs in mid game. The thing that bothers me the most is they seem to want to pass a lot more which isn't our bread and butter. Pound and ground like tonight baby.

The fact Alex like you said is sub par against good D's is alarming and should be a concern

Yeah we are too inventive this year. Just run Gore and play defense and we can probably be 11 - 5 if we tighten up our horrific special teams coverage and Akers starts hitting all his FG's consistently again.
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
The passing game has come down to earth now that we are playing better defenses. It's one thing to dominate the Bills but we can't play those cupcake games every week. The passing will be our down fall once again this season. The online is dominant the wrs are improved and the run game solid so that only leaves one position that is subpar.

Maybe it's Smith and all Smith. And the Bills are weak. But how do you explain that game? He was really good. Hitting plays all over the field. Are the Bills really that bad?

The jets put 48 on them.

Ha. I didn't see that game. The Jets suck bad. So if they put 48 on them.....
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Alex's play dropping off?

How do you explain it though? He was the best we have seen in 2011. You could actually argue in 2012 he was even better still at least in some portions of the early season. He had some good games. I mean lately he reminds me of his rookie year sometimes....

To put it blatantly, Harbaugh and Roman engineered some genius schemes that disguised Alex's weaknesses in hopes of him actually gaining confidence and becoming a better quarterback. We were all witness to it, no one denies it. Those schemes were never meant to last forever though, and now that the jig is up and Alex is still Alex, this is the result.

But how do you explain him playing better all year last year? And even to start this year in some portions at least he was much better in some games. So explain that?

I think teams have just caught on to the schemes which is a big part of Alex's regression. I can't explain him
Not being able to complete passes he was makin last year though.

Yeah I mean even passes he would and could make last year he is not doing. It seems like every thing is a 5 yard check down. He's captain checkdown this year.... I remember some 10 or 15 or 20 yard passes last year and even in the first 5 games this year. Now he doesn't look beyond 3 - 5 yards. Wow.

It's very puzzling. It's like 07 Alex

That high interception game must have really shook him up. He's normally risk averse. But now he's hyper risk averse. He's so cautious it's just rediculous. We can't even move the ball down the field.

How do you explain it though? He was the best we have seen in 2011. You could actually argue in 2012 he was even better still at least in some portions of the early season. He had some good games. I mean lately he reminds me of his rookie year sometimes....

To put it blatantly, Harbaugh and Roman engineered some genius schemes that disguised Alex's weaknesses in hopes of him actually gaining confidence and becoming a better quarterback. We were all witness to it, no one denies it. Those schemes were never meant to last forever though, and now that the jig is up and Alex is still Alex, this is the result.

But how do you explain him playing better all year last year? And even to start this year in some portions at least he was much better in some games. So explain that?

I think teams have just caught on to the schemes which is a big part of Alex's regression. I can't explain him

Yeah I mean even passes he would and could make last year he is not doing. It seems like every thing is a 5 yard check down. He's captain checkdown this year.... I remember some 10 or 15 or 20 yard passes last year and even in the first 5 games this year. Now he doesn't look beyond 3 - 5 yards. Wow.

That high interception game must have really shook him up. He's normally risk averse. But now he's hyper risk averse. He's so cautious it's just rediculous. We can't even move the ball down the field.

Imaging how frustrating it must be for the players if we're this frustrated haha. I know Crabs was getting irritated. I just don't get it. Same systems, more weapons, supposedly we have an offensive genius right? Why does our our O reek so bad then

Imaging how frustrating it must be for the players if we're this frustrated haha. I know Crabs was getting irritated. I just don't get it. Same systems, more weapons, supposedly we have an offensive genius right? Why does our our O reek so bad then

It's just awful. I think it's worse than last year. And it was game manager central last year. The very fact that we threw like 1 bomb all season to Randy Moss and he caught it for 60 yards and we never go back to him again is just plain.....
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Sando's take on Alex

SAN FRANCISCO -- I know what you're thinking, San Francisco 49ers fans.You'll take your team's 13-6 victory over the Seattle Seahawks at Candlestick Park on Thursday night. You're thrilled Frank Gore ran all over the Seahawks' second-ranked rush defense. You loved watching Seattle's receivers and tight ends drop passes all over the Candlestick turf. But you're worried about the quarterback.You've seen enough from Alex Smith over the past two weeks -- the four picks, the pre-2011 indecisiveness -- to affirm what you secretly feared all along. Smith's progress under coach Jim Harbaugh was a carefully orchestrated mirage, a product of superior coaching, a strong ground game and a punishing defense. The old feelings about Smith surfaced during that three-pick defeat to the New York Giants last week. They washed over you in waves Thursday night when Smith ran around and threw that killer pick to Seahawks cornerback Brandon Browner in the red zone.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Oct 19, 2012 at 1:06 AM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
This is what Sando is saying about Alex and the offense.

SAN FRANCISCO -- I know what you're thinking, San Francisco 49ers fans.You'll take your team's 13-6 victory over the Seattle Seahawks at Candlestick Park on Thursday night. You're thrilled Frank Gore ran all over the Seahawks' second-ranked rush defense. You loved watching Seattle's receivers and tight ends drop passes all over the Candlestick turf. But you're worried about the quarterback.You've seen enough from Alex Smith over the past two weeks -- the four picks, the pre-2011 indecisiveness -- to affirm what you secretly feared all along. Smith's progress under coach Jim Harbaugh was a carefully orchestrated mirage, a product of superior coaching, a strong ground game and a punishing defense.
Never was or will be a fan of Sando. He still secretly loves his Seahawks and will bash the 49ers every chance he gets. OH WAIT. He is correct.
[ Edited by 49erswillbeback on Oct 19, 2012 at 12:41 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erswillbeback:
Originally posted by mayo49:
This is what Sando is saying about Alex and the offense.

SAN FRANCISCO -- I know what you're thinking, San Francisco 49ers fans.You'll take your team's 13-6 victory over the Seattle Seahawks at Candlestick Park on Thursday night. You're thrilled Frank Gore ran all over the Seahawks' second-ranked rush defense. You loved watching Seattle's receivers and tight ends drop passes all over the Candlestick turf. But you're worried about the quarterback.You've seen enough from Alex Smith over the past two weeks -- the four picks, the pre-2011 indecisiveness -- to affirm what you secretly feared all along. Smith's progress under coach Jim Harbaugh was a carefully orchestrated mirage, a product of superior coaching, a strong ground game and a punishing defense.
Never was or will be a fan of Sando. He still secretly loves his Seahawks and will bash the 49ers every chance he gets. OH WAIT. He is correct.

Yeah, he's a former Seachicken reporter, but he never really is too critical of the Niners.
Just run the football work the play-action and play hardnose D
Sando is a reporter not even an ex NFL player, coach, or gm. His opinion means squat to me.
[ Edited by 24plus25er on Oct 19, 2012 at 1:23 AM ]
Member Milestone: This is post number 400 for 49erswillbeback.
Originally posted by jonr422000:
Just run the football work the play-action and play hardnose D

Play-action? Whats that? And please don't even think Roman knows anything about play-action inside the 5 yrd line. If you do you are dreaming.
I have to agree with San Diego 9er, in that playing like this will only get them so far. However it puts a lot of pressure on the defense and you can't possibly expect them to play lights out every game, so it only takes a slight hiccup on their part and there goes the game.

Unfortunately some of the fans will put the blame directly on their shoulders because they expect the defense to play lights out EVERY game. Not gonna happen.
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Oct 19, 2012 at 1:28 AM ]
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Sando is a reporter not even an ex NFL player, coach, or gm. His opinion means squat to me.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 19, 2012 at 1:25 AM ]
IMO the 49ers must not practice the play-action pass inside the 5 yard line very much. They seem to be stuck on the ISO. Why? You rarely if ever see it. BUT we seen it tonight and Alex looked confused and threw into triple coverage and threw an INT. Not making excuses for Alex but why don't we see more of this inside the 5 yard line?
My least favorite phrase on this board is "too cute."

These plays often work and look great, and even if they don't, give opponents things to think about and prepare for; hence, increasing the success of the gold standards. Variety not only gives unique opportunities for success, but gives opponents more things to spread their focus on trying to stop.

The Jumbo package doesn't work every time, but has proven successful, and the WildKaep has had its failures, though more successes, and these wrinkles have overall had a high lvl of success. The more we incorporate these varieties, the less opponents can hone in on the means to stop us.