LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 294 users in the forums

What happend to the offense on this team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Every QB has weaknesses; and every good coach maximizes the strengths, and minimizes the weaknesses of his players. I don't see how that's a bad thing.
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Alex's play dropping off?

How do you explain it though? He was the best we have seen in 2011. You could actually argue in 2012 he was even better still at least in some portions of the early season. He had some good games. I mean lately he reminds me of his rookie year sometimes....

To put it blatantly, Harbaugh and Roman engineered some genius schemes that disguised Alex's weaknesses in hopes of him actually gaining confidence and becoming a better quarterback. We were all witness to it, no one denies it. Those schemes were never meant to last forever though, and now that the jig is up and Alex is still Alex, this is the result.

But how do you explain him playing better all year last year? And even to start this year in some portions at least he was much better in some games. So explain that?
Alex somehow is regressing, and can't seem to play even decent against good teams.
The play calling has been really questionable.

How do you explain it though? He was the best we have seen in 2011. You could actually argue in 2012 he was even better still at least in some portions of the early season. He had some good games. I mean lately he reminds me of his rookie year sometimes....

To put it blatantly, Harbaugh and Roman engineered some genius schemes that disguised Alex's weaknesses in hopes of him actually gaining confidence and becoming a better quarterback. We were all witness to it, no one denies it. Those schemes were never meant to last forever though, and now that the jig is up and Alex is still Alex, this is the result.

But how do you explain him playing better all year last year? And even to start this year in some portions at least he was much better in some games. So explain that?

He really wasn't all that magical last year. He was just making simple, high percentage throws as he was asked. That's why everyone in the whole damn world ragged on him. If you think his play last year was stellar, I invite you to take another look. Jim Druckenmiller could excel in that offense.

This season, those options are gone. The opposition has the film and there is no way to hide Smith any longer.

I think teams have just caught on to the schemes which is a big part of Alex's regression. I can't explain him
Not being able to complete passes he was makin last year though.
The 49er offense has been very predictable to some of us. I'm hoping it is part of the LONG TERM game plan.
[ Edited by 49erswillbeback on Oct 18, 2012 at 11:55 PM ]

He really wasn't all that magical last year. He was just making simple, high percentage throws as he was asked. That's why everyone in the whole damn world ragged on him. If you think his play last year was stellar, I invite you to take another look. Jim Druckenmiller could excel in that offense.

This season, those options are gone. The opposition has the film and there is no way to hide Smith any longer.

He was kind of a dreaded "game manager" last year. But this year he doesn't even do that good. He's turning the ball over left and right. Leading to interceptions, missed TD opportunities, missed FG opportunities. I remember him making clean passes at least although not spectacular. He just seems so wild and confused this year. His ace was always he would read the coverage well, make the right decision, don't turn it over. It was never about throwing for tons of yards.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

I think teams have just caught on to the schemes which is a big part of Alex's regression. I can't explain him

Yeah I mean even passes he would and could make last year he is not doing. It seems like every thing is a 5 yard check down. He's captain checkdown this year.... I remember some 10 or 15 or 20 yard passes last year and even in the first 5 games this year. Now he doesn't look beyond 3 - 5 yards. Wow.
Alex somehow is regressing, and can't seem to play even decent against good teams.

He's really sub par against good defenses. What do you feel is bad about the play calling?
I think there's a point to be concerned. But, I don't think there's a need for being overly concerned. Considering the 49ers prepped for two games in a little over a week, it's not surprising A) the game plan may have been uber vanilla in one of the two games B) the execution was rather less than stellar C) timing and rhythm will be really off.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
The passing game has come down to earth now that we are playing better defenses. It's one thing to dominate the Bills but we can't play those cupcake games every week. The passing will be our down fall once again this season. The online is dominant the wrs are improved and the run game solid so that only leaves one position that is subpar.
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
The passing game has come down to earth now that we are playing better defenses. It's one thing to dominate the Bills but we can't play those cupcake games every week. The passing will be our down fall once again this season. The online is dominant the wrs are improved and the run game solid so that only leaves one position that is subpar.

Maybe it's Smith and all Smith. And the Bills are weak. But how do you explain that game? He was really good. Hitting plays all over the field. Are the Bills really that bad?

He's really sub par against good defenses. What do you feel is bad about the play calling?

Last year we were just straight forward we didn't try anything cute, we didn't try to become a passing team. We were physical and ran the ball hard. This year I just feel there's been a lot of wtf play calling. Reverses on 3rd down. That wild Kaep s**t. Rotating QBs in mid game. The thing that bothers me the most is they seem to want to pass a lot more which isn't our bread and butter. Pound and ground like tonight baby.

The fact Alex like you said is sub par against good D's is alarming and should be a concern
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:

Maybe it's Smith and all Smith. And the Bills are weak. But how do you explain that game? He was really good. Hitting plays all over the field. Are the Bills really that bad?

The jets put 48 on them.

Yeah I mean even passes he would and could make last year he is not doing. It seems like every thing is a 5 yard check down. He's captain checkdown this year.... I remember some 10 or 15 or 20 yard passes last year and even in the first 5 games this year. Now he doesn't look beyond 3 - 5 yards. Wow.

It's very puzzling. It's like 07 Alex
Share 49ersWebzone