There are 219 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What happend to the offense on this team?

It seemed we actually started out the year more aggressive. We could both run and pass. We even had a 600 yard game. The first 5 weeks I was thinking we could maybe be a little better. We were converting 3rd downs. We never did that much last year. Now we struggle mightly to get a 1st down. Our passing in paricular has incredible struggles. O Line injuries? Alex's play dropping off? Play calling? Not using Randy Moss enough? Alex's sprained finger? Alex's multiple interception game made him even more gun shy than he already is?

I glad we won. But this offense is absolutely horrendous.... We got to step it up big time if we are to win in the playoffs. Honestly watching grass grow is more fun than watching this offense. I just can't see competing against the big boys in the playoffs this year with what we are currently seeing. On the offensive side that is at least. What are your thoughts?
We played better defenses, Minn, NYG and SEA.

We have another tough one in AZ coming up.

The run game hasn't regressed. Passing has though/
Started playing better defenses. Mix in a little of getting too cute.
I'm glad there's the long week, for the 49ers, to prep for the Cardinals. I think this is where they'll actually be able to rest up, and focus on just one team, instead of two in seven days. More importantly, it's a divisional opponent. I'm sure things will be corrected. It's a marathon, not a sprint. It's also, not how strong you start, but how you finish (Walsh so lovingly said, regarding the 88-89 team). I know there are things of notice, lately. But, I'm optimistic, still about the ability to finish better than what they're going through, offensively.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Alex's play dropping off?

Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Started playing better defenses. Mix in a little of getting too cute.

I guess that's it. We did play some much better defenses which has a big impact. And we probably did too much Wild - Kaep. Now people have film on it and are stopping it. And all the double reverses and stuff. Maybe just run Frank Gore a lot and play defense. That's always been our formula.
StOnEy333, I'm reminded of what I read in Building a Champion, where Walsh admitted this aspect of being too cute for your own good; and admitted he should have just pounded the rock one yard into the end zone.
Originally posted by zillabeast:

How do you explain it though? He was the best we have seen in 2011. You could actually argue in 2012 he was even better still at least in some portions of the early season. He had some good games. I mean lately he reminds me of his rookie year sometimes....
I also think, SanDiego49er, getting Gore re-involved in the passing game could be something they needed to do more of. By that, I mean as a receiver, too. I missed seeing Bruce Miller catch some balls, in games.
Roman-Smith
SanDiego49er I think of the short week; and what it can do to a team. I think someone said something to the effect of expecting more basic/vanilla material from the 49ers, tonight, offensively. I also think it was that way, defensively.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
We played better defenses, Minn, NYG and SEA.

We have another tough one in AZ coming up.

The run game hasn't regressed. Passing has though/

Man the passing is horrendous lately. Just awful. Looks like 32 in the league. Not sure where the actual ranking is. But goodness I'm thinking 3 and out every time we are out there. To get 10 yards is an absolute war.
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
Roman-Smith

How do you feel Roman has been effecting it?
Originally posted by zillabeast:

How do you explain it though? He was the best we have seen in 2011. You could actually argue in 2012 he was even better still at least in some portions of the early season. He had some good games. I mean lately he reminds me of his rookie year sometimes....

To put it blatantly, Harbaugh and Roman engineered some genius schemes that disguised Alex's weaknesses in hopes of him actually gaining confidence and becoming a better quarterback. We were all witness to it, no one denies it. Those schemes were never meant to last forever though, and now that the jig is up and Alex is still Alex, this is the result.
I think, right now, the Giants/Seahawks games are something you can somewhat label a crapshoot. However, gameplan wise, I think it would be a time for really really vanilla stuff, that way the team can play up to par, for two games in a little over a week. I just heard the 95.7 the game interview with Mark Schlereth. He was saying the Broncos only ran six plays all year, in one of their super bowl years; and just varied it up with personnel, and formation.