LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 160 users in the forums

Playing time for draft picks

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Im sorry, but you guys defending ORG on this are just wrong. I love what Baalke has done since he has been here and have defended him many times, but he screwed the pooch on this one.

We are in desperate need of quality depth at DL, OLB, and OL and also most would argue TE. Had we drafted at any of those positions #1 or #2 we would have had a contributer, and also an improved team. It is not ok, in todays NFL, to redshirt your #1 and #2 draft picks, barring key positions like QB. Just cant do it. This is not the old NFL, where vets played their whole careers for one team, and draft picks had to earn their spots over time. In todays NFL your #1 and #2 need to contribute.

Also contracts for 1st round picks are now 4 years, so to waste 25% of his contract to be red shirted is not smart football management.
Just think of it as having two first rounders next year and 2 second rounders next year to go along with our 2 thirds rounders next year.

ha.
[ Edited by SFL49ER on Oct 17, 2012 at 2:26 PM ]
Im sorry, but you guys defending ORG on this are just wrong. I love what Baalke has done since he has been here and have defended him many times, but he screwed the pooch on this one.

We are in desperate need of quality depth at DL, OLB, and OL and also most would argue TE. Had we drafted at any of those positions #1 or #2 we would have had a contributer, and also an improved team. It is not ok, in todays NFL, to redshirt your #1 and #2 draft picks, barring key positions like QB. Just cant do it. This is not the old NFL, where vets played their whole careers for one team, and draft picks had to earn their spots over time. In todays NFL your #1 and #2 need to contribute.

Totally disagree.

You take the best guy available.

Lets look deeper....

RBs: Gore, Hunter, Jacobs, James. Harbaugh likes to run the hell out of his RBs. He did so at Stanford and he does so in SF. You need ALOT of RBs to run that offense. Guys get banged up and different guys play just to keep the others fresh. Can you couldnt on Gore to stay healthy? What happens next year if Gore is finished and Jacobs was only ona 1 year contract? Now you have Hunter and NOBODY? That can't happen on an offense that depends so much on the run game. Peeps will see james play in the next few years and will feel really dumb for having criticised the pick.

WRs: There were NO GUARANTEES that Moss would have anything left and Manningham wasn't exactly saught after and signed a small contract in SF. There were no guarantees there. Then they ALL played well, including Kyle WIlliams. Say all you want but Jenkins will be just fine.

Peeps have to STOP looking at all this through a 1 year lense. It doesn't work that way. If Jenkins can't get on the field in three years, then you have a point. Right now it ridiculous.
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:

Also contracts for 1st round picks are now 4 years, so to waste 25% of his contract to be red shirted is not smart football management.

Jeez...do any of you guys remember what it was like when this team was good? SMDH.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
It just makes me laugh that the Niners are considered the deepest team in the NFL and peeps on this site are b***hing because the Niners aren't playing their draft picks. This shows me that MANY peeps don't remember when the Niners were really good in the 80's that rookies had a very similar problem as they do now...they can't get on the field because the starters are really good.

I could understand if there was a glaring weakness, but there isn't. The Niners are strong at almost every position.

Oh Really??

"Playing in only his second full season, Hicks was considered the leader of a secondary that also featured rookies Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright and Carlton Williamson. The young, but hard-hitting secondary would affectionately be known as "Dwight Hicks and his Hot Licks"
  • sfout
  • Veteran

4 years means 5 years, if he is our 1st round pick and sits his whole rookie year but lights it up for 3 we will just franchise him if we cant lock him up long term. Besides he's showing the coaches what he has on the practice field and IIRC you can't negotiate on rookie contract until the end(? correct me if Im wrong) of the 3rd season anyway. We've got plenty of time to watch Jenkins play and develop.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Jeez...do any of you guys remember what it was like when this team was good? SMDH.

Yes I do Marvin but even then first and second round picks contributed unless they were complete crap.
Haha wait until next season. Don't we have like 15 Draft picks? Guys drafted in the later rounds are gonna be pissed when their name is called bu the 49ers.
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
It just makes me laugh that the Niners are considered the deepest team in the NFL and peeps on this site are b***hing because the Niners aren't playing their draft picks. This shows me that MANY peeps don't remember when the Niners were really good in the 80's that rookies had a very similar problem as they do now...they can't get on the field because the starters are really good.

I could understand if there was a glaring weakness, but there isn't. The Niners are strong at almost every position.

Oh Really??

"Playing in only his second full season, Hicks was considered the leader of a secondary that also featured rookies Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright and Carlton Williamson. The young, but hard-hitting secondary would affectionately be known as "Dwight Hicks and his Hot Licks"

That was 1981 smart guy....the FIRST year they were good when they sucked the year before. This picks were what MADE the Niners a good team. How many games did Shell, McIntyre or Frank play as rookies?, How about in 1888 with Stubbs and Holt? How about 1989 with DeLong or Wesley Walls?

NONE of those guys made a huge contribution. We are in freakin week 6. CHILL.
There is just no way to justify the redshirting of a #1 and #2 pick. Especially when you are redshirting both. No excuse.

We are not talking about a couple guys that only get a snap or two a game because we have a deep roster. We are talking about guys BURRIED on the depth chart. We have extreme depth problems at OLB, DL, OL, TE, but we are good enough to ignore that and draft a WR and RB that are not even active on game days? I dont buy that logic.

Yes I do Marvin but even then first and second round picks contributed unless they were complete crap.

SOME may have contributed, but not very much. Those were also the days BEFORE Free Agency so the ONLY way to fill a hole was the draft.
There is just no way to justify the redshirting of a #1 and #2 pick. Especially when you are redshirting both. No excuse.

We are not talking about a couple guys that only get a snap or two a game because we have a deep roster. We are talking about guys BURRIED on the depth chart. We have extreme depth problems at OLB, DL, OL, TE, but we are good enough to ignore that and draft a WR and RB that are not even active on game days? I dont buy that logic.

Sorry you don't buy it.

I like it. Yeah...they are buried on the depth chart NOW. What about NEXT year and beyond? Moss: 1 year deal. Jacobs: 1 year deal.
Manningham: 2 year deal. Gore: Getting older.

How the hell do you think the Patriots stay so good for so long? They take players BEFORE they need them because they can see the need down the road.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

SOME may have contributed, but not very much. Those were also the days BEFORE Free Agency so the ONLY way to fill a hole was the draft.

here look at the names during the 80s and 90s and most of those dudes played unless they were not good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_San_Francisco_49ers_first-round_draft_picks

here look at the names during the 80s and 90s and most of those dudes played unless they were not good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_San_Francisco_49ers_first-round_draft_picks

How many of them made big contributions AS ROOKIES.
Totally disagree.

You take the best guy available.

Lets look deeper....

RBs: Gore, Hunter, Jacobs, James. Harbaugh likes to run the hell out of his RBs. He did so at Stanford and he does so in SF. You need ALOT of RBs to run that offense. Guys get banged up and different guys play just to keep the others fresh. Can you couldnt on Gore to stay healthy? What happens next year if Gore is finished and Jacobs was only ona 1 year contract? Now you have Hunter and NOBODY? That can't happen on an offense that depends so much on the run game. Peeps will see james play in the next few years and will feel really dumb for having criticised the pick.

WRs: There were NO GUARANTEES that Moss would have anything left and Manningham wasn't exactly saught after and signed a small contract in SF. There were no guarantees there. Then they ALL played well, including Kyle WIlliams. Say all you want but Jenkins will be just fine.

Peeps have to STOP looking at all this through a 1 year lense. It doesn't work that way. If Jenkins can't get on the field in three years, then you have a point. Right now it ridiculous.

We should have already drafted Gore's replacement by now. Kendall Hunter is not an everydown back, neither is LaMichael James or Brandon Jacobs.
Share 49ersWebzone