LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 204 users in the forums

Playing time for draft picks

Shop Find 49ers gear online
LINK

I thought when we draft players, they should be utilized. They are brought in to compete to start to make the team better. Interesting statistics in this link. Look at the totals at the bottom for us and compare to our NFC West Rivals. Why even hold a draft? Yes, we have a deep roster but at least try to draft players that will compete for playing time or win a starting job.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
The 49ers are the only team in the league with zero snaps from their 2012 class.

Another way of looking at it is the rookies aren't as good as the starters or their immediate back-ups.

I'd really like to see them take some snaps AND we're only 6 games into the season so there's still hope.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Another way of looking at it is the rookies aren't as good as the starters or their immediate back-ups.

I'd really like to see them take some snaps AND we're only 6 games into the season so there's still hope.

Yeah, we'll if that is true, then either we should be 6-0 or we don't know how to draft.
This draft class was relly mishandled.

The ORG should have seen the logjam at WR and RB and drafted accordingly. I like Jenkins, and James, but the fact is that if they were good enough to justify taking with those picks, regardless of depth, than they should be good enough to be on the gameday active roster.

OLB, DL, OL, DB, TE were all positions we could have addressed with the #1 and #2 picks. Had we drafted for those positions i would find it hard to beleive that they would be inactive on game days. Like i said i like the guys we drafted, it was just a screwup by ORG drafting those positions where they did.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
This draft class was relly mishandled.

The ORG should have seen the logjam at WR and RB and drafted accordingly. I like Jenkins, and James, but the fact is that if they were good enough to justify taking with those picks, regardless of depth, than they should be good enough to be on the gameday active roster.

OLB, DL, OL, DB, TE were all positions we could have addressed with the #1 and #2 picks. Had we drafted for those positions i would find it hard to beleive that they would be inactive on game days. Like i said i like the guys we drafted, it was just a screwup by ORG drafting those positions where they did.

I think you guys are all nuts.

These guys aren't playing because they don't NEED to play them. Good teams don't draft for THIS year. You draft the best available player at the time you have a pick or you trade down. The 49ers did BOTH. You are suggesting the Niners take an OLB they don't think is good as Jenkins or James just because they have a "need" for a BACKUP player? Smart teams don't think that way. They realize that there isn't that large a difference between a guy at a certain position if you take one in the second round and another in the 4th round. It just turns out the guy they took got HURT and is out for the year.

The Niners solved issues for THIS year in Free Agency by signing Moss and Manningham CHEAP. They signed Brandon Jacobs to play behind Gore and James and even HE hasn't played yet. You take James because you know Gore isn't gonna last forever. If you lose Gore you still have Hunter as your starter and James behind him. Thats a move for the FUTURE, not just for this year. This season also gives both Jenkins and James a reshirt year to learn the NFL game and GET BIGGER.

The Niners didn't screw up a damn thing. We as fans just sometimes have much less patience than NFL GMs and we aren't always privy to their long term plans.

EDIT: ...and another thing...Harbaugh did the same damn thing with Luck at Stanford and is doing the same thing now with Kaepernick. We as fans have so little patience it's ridiculous.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 17, 2012 at 2:02 PM ]
Hey, look at what the Chiefs have done. Be very thankful we aren't looking at this topic from their angle.
BPA
Originally posted by English:
BPA

BINGO.
It just makes me laugh that the Niners are considered the deepest team in the NFL and peeps on this site are b***hing because the Niners aren't playing their draft picks. This shows me that MANY peeps don't remember when the Niners were really good in the 80's that rookies had a very similar problem as they do now...they can't get on the field because the starters are really good.

I could understand if there was a glaring weakness, but there isn't. The Niners are strong at almost every position.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Marvin49:
BPA

BINGO.

You guys are acting like Jenkins has pro bowl players in front of him.
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
BPA

BINGO.

No, I'm acting like he has good player in front of him who are performing. He does.

Don't start quoting stats either because this is a running offense. When the Niners have needed to find an open WR, more often than not they've found one.

Mannignham has looked pretty damn good and Moss has commanded HUGE cushions and is triple teamed whenever he does deep.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 17, 2012 at 2:08 PM ]
BPA

BINGO.

I shouldn't really have to explain this to you. The comment refers to draft choices.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
BPA

BINGO.

No, I'm acting like he has good player in front of him who are performing. He does.

Don't start quoting stats either because this is a running offense. When the Niners have needed to find an open WR, more often than not they've found one.

Mannignham has looked pretty damn good and Moss has commanded HUGE cushions and is triple teamed whenever he does deep.

Well that maybe so but he still at least dress for games. Also looks like Baalke doesnt have a balanced roster. We have too many WRs for a running offense and too little OLBs for a 3-4 scheme. Also looks like the special teams advantage we had last year is now disadvantage because he chose to sign a couple of vet players who hardly play and contribute nothing to special teams (Moss, Jacobs).
Im sorry, but you guys defending ORG on this are just wrong. I love what Baalke has done since he has been here and have defended him many times, but he screwed the pooch on this one.

We are in desperate need of quality depth at DL, OLB, and OL and also most would argue TE. Had we drafted at any of those positions #1 or #2 we would have had a contributer, and also an improved team. It is not ok, in todays NFL, to redshirt your #1 and #2 draft picks, barring key positions like QB. Just cant do it. This is not the old NFL, where vets played their whole careers for one team, and draft picks had to earn their spots over time. In todays NFL your #1 and #2 need to contribute.
Share 49ersWebzone