LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Why doesn't Roman EVER call screens?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by NinerG94:
We dont run screens because we have no downfield passing game and defenders are constantly keying on our RB's. What good would it do to call a bunch of screens when they are sure to get blown up in the backfield.

not calling for 20 screens a game

but one a game would be nice...

I completely agree and you'd think we could run a successful screen to Hunter atleast. Gore seems to attract way too much attention and screens to him always get blown up. Maybe playaction fake to one side to Gore and hit Hunter the other way for a big gainer? I don't really know but I agree our screen game is pathetic and needs to change.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
We dont run screens because we have no downfield passing game and defenders are constantly keying on our RB's. What good would it do to call a bunch of screens when they are sure to get blown up in the backfield.

not calling for 20 screens a game

but one a game would be nice...

I completely agree and you'd think we could run a successful screen to Hunter atleast. Gore seems to attract way too much attention and screens to him always get blown up. Maybe playaction fake to one side to Gore and hit Hunter the other way for a big gainer? I don't really know but I agree our screen game is pathetic and needs to change.

This reminds me, whatever happened to that roll-right, back throw to VD where he blocks on the line and then takes off and is wide open? Its like a "naked screen."
My guess is simple, our backs are not good receivers, and Smith doesn't execute screens well...I base this solely on BS, but here is my BS:
JH screened alot at Stanford, and doesn't here, why because this personnel does not execute screens well.
More BS, we since the Smith Gore era started have run very few screens, again my guess, our personal doesn't execute them well.
Every team has a screen package and runs them just to keep other teams honest, even if they don't screen particularly well, kinda like running draw once in while to keep um honest, we don't...why...despite multiple coaches and offensive coordinators? Well my BS guess our personnel doesn't run screen well.

let's hope one of these days we draft a back who can sell the screen and catch the screen, and hey maybe a QB who can sell the screen and throw the screen would be nice, then we could run more screen, but and this is just BS but we won't run more screen until we can run screen more effectively!
Originally posted by NCommand:
This reminds me, whatever happened to that roll-right, back throw to VD where he blocks on the line and then takes off and is wide open? Its like a "naked screen."

I don't know.. but just thinking about it nowadays just makes me want to knock Roman the F**k out for not using it. I mean, wtf? Works so well like everytime, and

" meh.. let's just throw it out. I'm bored and want to make some goof-ball college option crap now."

• dj43
49ers ran screens in the Raye/Johnson offense, particularly after Johnson took over. I just don't believe it is because the players can't execute.
Originally posted by dj43:
49ers ran screens in the Raye/Johnson offense, particularly after Johnson took over. I just don't believe it is because the players can't execute.

How well and how often? I don't recall it being a major success, maybe my old brain is on the fritz again, but I've been b***hing at the TV during games for a few years, calling for the screen, the waggle, and the play action dump off to the full back, three of my favorite plays from back in the day, and we seldom call um anymore.
Originally posted by dj43:

If there is one thing Alex Smith could always do well, it was the screen.

In the Harbaugh era, teams seem to be sniffing out all of our screens. We have attempted them, but they have not been successful, or they have fallen incomplete. This is why nobody remembers them.
We don't attempt nearly as many as we used to, but we surely have tried. They just haven't been successful; the reasons for this are debatable, but if I were to guess, I would say it's because every team who plays us has learned to spy our RB's. This can be countered with play-action, which we have been very successful with lately.

The problem is, scheming can only take you so far. We can't depend on the coaching staff to have a brilliant, foolproof gameplan for us every week. Sometimes the players themselves have to win games. When you face a well-coached and experienced team like the Giants, it's very hard to beat them with scheme and scheme alone.
Dont know.....good question....let me know the answer when you find out...
How about seeing a successful scree play called AND executed last night! Thank god for #21! GO FRANK! GO NINERS!
Yeah, we called one...and it worked...and then, in typical Roman fashion, we never went back to it. That said, I liked how Roman exploited their middle on the TD drive with basically, naked middle screens to Gore, Crabtree and Walker.

niners just dump it off to the RB's most of the time anyway
Yeah - it did work pretty good.
Share 49ersWebzone