There are 47 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why doesn't Roman EVER call screens?

Originally posted by Lunchwagon:
One of the other reasons we dont see alot of screens, is that the defensive backs are not threatened with deep threats. So in obvious pass rush situations, they are currently pressing hard on our receivers and jumping routes. This means they are never real far from the line of scrimmage. So even if we get a pass completed to a back, the dbs, and non rushing lbs, are coming in and blowing it up. Until you have the ability to strike on long plays in one-on-one coverage against the blitz, you will not be a good screen team. This is my observaton anyway.

I think your observation has merit indeed. Thursday's game is gonna be interesting.. as the Hawks will likely do a ton of what you are talking about. Gonna be disappointing if we don't take some deep shots to counter the CB jams they will try. We better hope the refs are looking out and inclined to throw the P.I. flag. If they are, then expect the Hawks to get lots of penalties. Screens can also get your QB killed, if the OL don't block and release properly. Add in the WR screens, and we actually have probably used screens about 7-10 times all year so far.. mixed results, but nothing that has resulted in big gains.

Originally posted by dj43:
Ask Roman. Good passing teams like NO use it as a staple. It forces defenses to slow down their rush and allows Brees more time to find targets the rest of the time.

Definitely. I laugh when idiots still try and call our QB a checkdown artist. Brees targets his RBs more than any other QB on screen passes... and they are damn good at it.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by Lunchwagon:
One of the other reasons we dont see alot of screens, is that the defensive backs are not threatened with deep threats. So in obvious pass rush situations, they are currently pressing hard on our receivers and jumping routes. This means they are never real far from the line of scrimmage. So even if we get a pass completed to a back, the dbs, and non rushing lbs, are coming in and blowing it up. Until you have the ability to strike on long plays in one-on-one coverage against the blitz, you will not be a good screen team. This is my observaton anyway.

I think your observation has merit indeed. Thursday's game is gonna be interesting.. as the Hawks will likely do a ton of what you are talking about. Gonna be disappointing if we don't take some deep shots to counter the CB jams they will try. We better hope the refs are looking out and inclined to throw the P.I. flag. If they are, then expect the Hawks to get lots of penalties. Screens can also get your QB killed, if the OL don't block and release properly. Add in the WR screens, and we actually have probably used screens about 7-10 times all year so far.. mixed results, but nothing that has resulted in big gains.

Originally posted by dj43:
Ask Roman. Good passing teams like NO use it as a staple. It forces defenses to slow down their rush and allows Brees more time to find targets the rest of the time.

Definitely. I laugh when idiots still try and call our QB a checkdown artist. Brees targets his RBs more than any other QB on screen passes... and they are damn good at it.

i feel like if hunter got a screen pass, he's at least gain 4 yards min with the vision that he has
Gore and Hunter could get a lot of YAC, if a screen was called at the right moment ...I was wondering if we would use any screens to try and slow down that Giants pass rush , NOPE

The Quick Slant is rarely used also , it's a staple of the WCO , and Crabtree wouild benefit if he and Alex could run that play , like we used to run it in the 80's ...JT shredded defenses with that play
[ Edited by NeeJ49er on Oct 17, 2012 at 7:47 AM ]
Originally posted by kujon11:
i feel like if hunter got a screen pass, he's at least gain 4 yards min with the vision that he has

Can't disagree. Hunter is a much more complete RB than I would have expected at this point, and does have excellent vision and cut ability.

Both of our backs (and some WRs) don't seem to play with intensity in the pass game though. Gotta get out quick... gotta turn your head around and be ready for a dump pass.. and it's inexplicable to me why I go back and watch to see some sluggishness in the pass game aspect from them.

( just talking about them setting up for pass.. not catching or RAC )
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Gore and Hunter could get a lot of YAC, if a screen was called at the right moment ...I was wondering if we would use any screens to try and slow down that Giants pass rush , NOPE

The Quick Slant is rarely used also , it's a staple of the WCO , and Crabtree wouild benefit if he and Alex could run that play , like we used to run it in the 80's ...JT shredded defenses with that play

Yeah, you shouldn't use many quick slants when you are playing a D like the NYG. They can rush only their front 4 while dropping the OLBs in zones to cut that route of pretty easily.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Gore and Hunter could get a lot of YAC, if a screen was called at the right moment ...I was wondering if we would use any screens to try and slow down that Giants pass rush , NOPE

The Quick Slant is rarely used also , it's a staple of the WCO , and Crabtree wouild benefit if he and Alex could run that play , like we used to run it in the 80's ...JT shredded defenses with that play

Yeah, you shouldn't use many quick slants when you are playing a D like the NYG. They can rush only their front 4 while dropping the OLBs in zones to cut that route of pretty easily.

sprinkel one in once in awhile ...but I admit , todays LB's are so damn fast , the quick slant cant be used the way it used to be, the speed of the game has really altered a lot of playbooks over the years
im sure they have in practice. didnt like the result so its not in the gameday package.
Remember last year when an analyst asked Roman why he didn't call a single screen when it appeared to be the perfect call for the particular defense at hand?
He said something like, "Well why didn't you tell me that during the game? I would have called one!"
So really it's the fans' fault for not chanting "SCREEN PASS! SCREEN PASS!" during our offensive possessions.
An alternative theory is that he wants to be known as the one man who will NEVER call a screen pass so defenses don't worry about it or scheme for it.
Then, in the biggest game of the year, when the season is on the line, we will screen our unwitting opponent to death.
We dont run screens because we have no downfield passing game and defenders are constantly keying on our RB's. What good would it do to call a bunch of screens when they are sure to get blown up in the backfield.
So the answer is, " we don't call it cuz it won't work"?
Originally posted by 99problems:
im sure they have in practice. didnt like the result so its not in the gameday package.

but we use trick plays with Alex and Kap on the field at the same time?
Originally posted by 99problems:
im sure they have in practice. didnt like the result so its not in the gameday package.

yeah cuz whatever they ran last week worked so well
Originally posted by NinerG94:
We dont run screens because we have no downfield passing game and defenders are constantly keying on our RB's. What good would it do to call a bunch of screens when they are sure to get blown up in the backfield.

not calling for 20 screens a game

but one a game would be nice...
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
not calling for 20 screens a game

but one a game would be nice...

I can think of none last week, but prior to that, I think we were averaging a couple per game. Not always your standard RB screens though. Some were WR screens, and even a Walker screen that just didn't develop fast enough.
They have run screens but lately they've been breaking down and ending up as a sack. That's one weakness the offensive line needs to improve on in a hurry.
...