There are 145 users in the forums

Why doesn't Roman EVER call screens?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Got this one wrong. One new thing about Alex this year is he has gotten much better at looking in one direction if for no other reason than to throw it to another. It's not every time, but show me a QB that does do it every time.

alex has always done a good job of looking off the safety, he constantly does that on those great vernon wheel routes
Originally posted by GoldandGarnet:
I think I have seen two screens called in two years. It is a pretty standard play, used to mitigate pressure and blitzes. Teams that are good at screens are difficult to defend cuz if you blitz them and get caught with a screen, it's usually a big gain. Standard stuff here folks. Just another tool in the tool box. Why is it Roman is allergic to them?

Great question.
I've been asking the same thing; also, I was screaming for a bubble screen to a WR for most of last Sunday, as well!
middle scrrens to hunter = $$$$$
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Seen a few to hunter this season, just not good at it. Would be nice to see them have success with the play. It be nice to see any type of successful screen to any skill pos.

middle screens to hunter work so well behind our big ass oline, we ran it last year and got at least a first down out of it every time.

i just don't understand roman sometimes

i hate all the running plays he calls when we get in the red zone.

Thats because we don't have a 6'4 wr who can out jump jordan! Wait we do but he only gets 10 snaps and there either running plays or ones outside the 20 got to keep him fresh!
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
i honestly think they're saving a s**t ton of plays for later. Sounds dumb, but I think that's the case. I also believe that's why we haven't seen LMJ.

that was last years excuse

Yep that's the standard preseason excuse that seems to be mistakingly used during regular season as well. The coaches should be using every play at their disposal that would give us the best chance to win on that day. There's only 16 regular season games, so they don't have time to hide plays.

Well, Walsh hid plays all the time, so I have seen the benefit, but I do agree that we need to unleash a few things to not only win, but to secure home field, and also to make teams, down the road, game-plan for sh!t that may not be coming on a given day.
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
I've been asking the same thing; also, I was screaming for a bubble screen to a WR for most of last Sunday, as well!

Crabtree wouldn't be good at that!
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

With the right entourage, even you or I could be good at that.

Crabtree dances too much on those, you know who's awesome at those? Manningham, he does one cut and goes

With the right entourage, even you or I could be good at that.
Not like the oline has any talent, I mean Joe is Slow, Mike is Fat, Boone can't play Lt, Davis don't even get me started on a guy who couldn't even play Lt at any level!

Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Got this one wrong. One new thing about Alex this year is he has gotten much better at looking in one direction if for no other reason than to throw it to another. It's not every time, but show me a QB that does do it every time.

alex has always done a good job of looking off the safety, he constantly does that on those great vernon wheel routes

Dont ya think the term "always" is a bit of an exaggeration?

Crabtree dances too much on those, you know who's awesome at those? Manningham, he does one cut and goes

Crabtree's entire college career was built on the bubble screen. We just throw those less than we do halfback screens.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Crabtree's entire college career was built on the bubble screen. We just throw those less than we do halfback screens.

This aint the texas tech offense and crabtree is a lot slower in the NFL than in college. Manningham is just quicker
KW's TD catch two games ago is enough evidence to me that we should in fact run screens for him. He took like 4 steps in 2 feet to turn around and leave the defender in his dust, his screens (and maybe some with Hunter) will more often than not result in some positive gains just b/c of their speed, and with our designed blocking, should be effective, BUT, the main thing here is the timing of when we should or should not call them. Teams seemingly can (or at least I can) predict some of the screen passes we've had in the past just b/c of the 3rd and long situation or whatever and so the point here is to mix it up.

And our screens need people with speed, Crabtree does have some nifty ability at times but he's been very effective in his routes lately so let him do that, we just have to take advantage of KW, Hunter, Moss? Manningham, and maybe Ginn (I'm not sure about his injuries and if they have something to do with why he's not in the slot every now and then).
Originally posted by rEspEctdA49ers:
KW's TD catch two games ago is enough evidence to me that we should in fact run screens for him. He took like 4 steps in 2 feet to turn around and leave the defender in his dust, his screens (and maybe some with Hunter) will more often than not result in some positive gains just b/c of their speed, and with our designed blocking, should be effective, BUT, the main thing here is the timing of when we should or should not call them. Teams seemingly can (or at least I can) predict some of the screen passes we've had in the past just b/c of the 3rd and long situation or whatever and so the point here is to mix it up.

And our screens need people with speed, Crabtree does have some nifty ability at times but he's been very effective in his routes lately so let him do that, we just have to take advantage of KW, Hunter, Moss? Manningham, and maybe Ginn (I'm not sure about his injuries and if they have something to do with why he's not in the slot every now and then).

Got to agree with this KW has great change with his hips, and gets up to speed like a Formula 1
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Oct 16, 2012 at 6:54 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone