LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 442 users in the forums

Why doesn't Roman EVER call screens?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Seen a few to hunter this season, just not good at it. Would be nice to see them have success with the play. It be nice to see any type of successful screen to any skill pos.

middle screens to hunter work so well behind our big ass oline, we ran it last year and got at least a first down out of it every time.

i just don't understand roman sometimes
I understand why (maybe) we didn't call a lot of them last year, cuz of the lockout. Screens requires a cohesive online and a lot of practice. But at this point, we have had the entire offseason to get it installed. We also don't had a no-huddle/ 2 min offense. All other teams have these, I don't understand why we don't. It's pretty standard stuff. Just plain situational football. I mean if you are blowing up the run and blitzing me, I am taking my shots deep, or going to catch you out of position with a screen, and when I do, it's going to hurt. We do not do this and I don't know why.

I hope the ghost of Walsh whispers in Romans ear.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Seen a few to hunter this season, just not good at it. Would be nice to see them have success with the play. It be nice to see any type of successful screen to any skill pos.

middle screens to hunter work so well behind our big ass oline, we ran it last year and got at least a first down out of it every time.

i hate all the running plays he calls when we get in the red zone.
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Because he sucks

The superior quality of your insight continues to amaze.

do you have better reason to why he doesn't call screen passes ?

i think it's cuz he's allergic to it

could be or it could be he was abused by a screen pass as a child.

all valid points

lol
Hunter would DESTROY teams on screens...look how quick/fast he is just running off tackle. Imagine him on a middle or outside the T on a screen WITH blockers out in front. Scary! I genuinely have felt for a while now, he could be just as effective as D. Sproles. No joke.

BTW: Manningham would be another good one with VD spread out to block in front of him!
we were fooled, the NFL was fooled last year..

These coaches are way over their head....the best plays we can come up with are pee wee football plays
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Oct 16, 2012 at 4:56 PM ]

i hate all the running plays he calls when we get in the red zone.

Ya a little more play action in rz/gl situations would be good to see the only play i can remember off the top was from the jumbo against the jets.
We like to instead run bad plays we know won't work and then try to trick the defense with odd ball plays. Instead of doing like Eli and the Giants offense did... you know.... play well with simple plays...

Such a familiar sight here. 3rd and 5. Alex in the gun. Sack, incomplete, or 2 yard pass just shy of the first. On comes the field goal/punt unit. Anybody else sick of seeing this constantly? Or a steam rolling drive to the 10 that ends in a field goal? I don't know who is to blame but I HATE seeing that stuff consistently.
Screens in our current version of the WCO ? Where most receivers are schemed to run slants, short outs, curls ? Screens work if you can draw the Cbs and safeties out of the field of vision. I dont think we have the capabilities (playbook wise) to run a screen.

Plus, why run a screen when you have the Wildcat option
Cause he's too good for it, he likes CK QB options

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

These coaches are way over their head....the best plays we can come up with are pee wee football plays

Did you expect them to go 19 and 0? We're still tied for 1st and have the #1 defense and #1 rushing offense in the league
Originally posted by DirtyP:

Did you expect them to go 19 and 0? We're still tied for 1st and have the #1 defense and #1 rushing offense in the league

our #1s our slowly declining...We haven't changed one bit from last year is our weakness

i'm already looking at loses for This Thursday, Bears and saints

so that puts us at 6-5 heading into December, looks like this is it boys

no! No more effing kool aid or favored drink ish. We have a good staff (offensively) they just have to adapt as needed and keep to the to the initial philosophy of power run, multiple sets/personnel, play action off the bread n butter. Time to get jacobs going or bring in dixon or admit/acknowledge that for whatever reason both moves were mistakes. Its nice that it works (sometimes) and it gives the O more options but the read option is not a great replacement to a running game that was suppose to have balance, power and speed from the rb pos. Roman is no dummy imho he has a touch of martz and like mm he needs to kept on target every now and again.

Um maybe because we're a top 5 rushing attack in the NFL and are capable of getting yardage by handing the ball off. Maybe thts why?
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:

Um maybe because we're a top 5 rushing attack in the NFL and are capable of getting yardage by handing the ball off. Maybe thts why?

I hear you on how we can get yards on the ground, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't throw one every now and then. We seem to do much better with short passes and methodically marching down the field, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't throw it down field a few times a game.
Share 49ersWebzone