LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Have you begun to TEMPER expectations for this season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Have you begun to TEMPER expectations for this season?

Don't take this to mean PANIC, OMG the world is over.

Just an attitude of :

"Ok, we'll have to re-evaluate what's going on here. Maybe our team isn't super bowl caliber like we thought.....or maybe it CAN BE later in the season. Maybe Alex Smith is definitely not the answer.......or maybe he still can be. We will see"

It's an attitude of perhaps what we had last year in those Redskins and Browns games. We are better than most teams but have to wait and see with EVERYONE.

For the record I put money 9/1 on us going all the way and if I had the option to pull out I wouldn't.

I also don't stop watching Niners games on TV or leave early in person.

It takes a certain experience and maturity to be able to handle this. I notice I get over losses a lot quicker than my coworker/friend who seems to sulk in it longer and gets surprised more easily when things do not go right.

What's probably bothering a lot of people is the uncertainty. I know a lot of Giants fans who are uncertain as well but they always say "as long as Eli is there, we're in the game, I feel good".

Anyways, curious to see who here is in a genuine wait & see approach the rest of this season.
No. My expectations are the same. This team is still just as good as it was last week. Just gotta get back to buisness as usual.
We get to the playoffs, f**k the hawks, cards, and lambs....the West still belongs to us.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
No. Even after last year I figure we need to win the turnover battle to beat elite teams. We wouldn't have beaten a top team last year if Alex throws 3 int's. It is the same team as last year. Protect the football and limit the mistakes and we beat anybody. We don't have the passing attack to overcome bad starts.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Nope not at all.

I predicted we will win the division and make the playoffs, after that Im not sure. Anything can happen in the playoffs just get into the playoffs and let it ride.
What for?
Not even close.

Another lesson learned, in my opinion.

Rely on the run game....let our defense keep the score low....give Alex an opportunity to play small ball with efficiency. That formula can win us the ring. The two losses this season have been instances that we've put more on Alex's shoulder (unnecessarily) than he can handle.
My SB dreams are a little shakier now, but I still feel we are playoff bound... and like Sus says, anything can happen after that.
there are a lot of teams capable of winning the superbowl this year.

49ers are one of them.

i expect to win the superbowl.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
no. i just do not like being outcoached in two games and i do not like not being competitive in two games. it has taken place twice more this year than it did all of last year . they need to stop with this revolving quarterback s**t which hit the brick wall yesterday, they did nothing to fix thier offensive line in the off season and we are seeing results from that, for some reason we can not generate a pass rush and special teams coverage is just horrid. and please thursday can we just go back to basics and stop being cute. i still think we can win the division but if you think those things i said are not a concern you are fooling yourself

I expect to win the Superbowl this year too, and I had super high expectations until yesterday's game.

Winning the NFC West is one step, but the road to the Superbowl will go through the Giants imo. And unfortunately they own the 49ers. I did not expect us to get whooped on like that yesterday.

We have played the Giants 3 times already, and those 3 games has shown regression. First one we eeked out a victory, 2nd one we lost at home, 3rd game we got SMASHED at home!

Coughlin sure knows how to break a team down and dismantle their schemes, he's done it twice to Bellicheck, and now he's go Harbaugh's number.

You want to be the best you have to compete with the best and so far the 49ers are FAR from competing with Superbowl champions.
Originally posted by cciowa:
no. i just do not like being outcoached in two games and i do not like not being competitive in two games. it has taken place twice more this year than it did all of last year . they need to stop with this revolving quarterback s**t which hit the brick wall yesterday, they did nothing to fix thier offensive line in the off season and we are seeing results from that, for some reason we can not generate a pass rush and special teams coverage is just horrid. and please thursday can we just go back to basics and stop being cute. i still think we can win the division but if you think those things i said are not a concern you are fooling yourself

moving forward. that should be the motto of this team.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by cciowa:

moving forward. that should be the motto of this team.

Tru dat..they must go back to what worked. I'm just afraid maybe the D is not nearly as confidant currently, which means if other teams do stop our run game and put it on the QB, take VD out the game and bump the hell outta our Wr at the LOS.. it won't be pretty.. Our offense is REALLY going to have to step up to gt W's...
Yes. We are definitely not elite. Way too many holes.
The loss was basically a game plan error. I know Harbaugh will make the necessary changes. I agree with the back to basic approach.
Share 49ersWebzone