There are 101 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Thoughts from Idaho

Originally posted by RishikeshA:
You made good observations with all your points, and I read each one. However, each one could have been a thread unto itself and some of us have that 21st century malady of short attention span.

I could have gone on much longer, and certainly could have made each point a thread of its own. But then each thread would have been equally as long. Brevity is not my strong suit. Thanks for taking the time to read.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
For me, the most worrisome at first was the lack of ST contributions. I would at the very least expect contributions on ST especially when we let our to best contributers on ST walk. It has gotten worse since then with injurys, and still very little contributions. Fact is our depth all over was largely exagerated.

Having them trade away Colin Jones after the awesome performances he put out on special teams last year pissed me off to no end. Along with trading him and letting Costanzo walk, the special teams performance has markedly gone down, and for what? Brandon Jacobs? There was no value in the moves that they made.

Yea. Cartwright would have been the better choice if they wanted extra insurance at RB. Atleast he would have contributed on ST. I hated the Jacobs move from the getgo.
One thing is for certain, we are returning to the playoffs for the 2nd year in a row and after a season spent with a target on our backs, we have a great opportunity this week to become NFC West Champs for the 2nd season in a row since Harbaugh's hire after nearly a decade of futility. I can agree with a lot of the OP posts, but the fact is that we are winning again and Jim Harbaugh is a sophomore NFL Head Coach. As he learns from both his successes and failures, we can only hope that he gets better as he gets experience. He wasn't coach of the year last season for nothing, not to excuse us ONLY making the playoffs this season thus far
Yea. Cartwright would have been the better choice if they wanted extra insurance at RB. Atleast he would have contributed on ST. I hated the Jacobs move from the getgo.

I too think that Rock would've been the more useful roster move but Jacobs did seem to show good promise during the offseason and early preseason prior to the injury so I can see why he stuck and not the "limited" Rock. Aside from that Dixon forged his way onto the roster
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
One thing is for certain, we are returning to the playoffs for the 2nd year in a row and after a season spent with a target on our backs, we have a great opportunity this week to become NFC West Champs for the 2nd season in a row since Harbaugh's hire after nearly a decade of futility. I can agree with a lot of the OP posts, but the fact is that we are winning again and Jim Harbaugh is a sophomore NFL Head Coach. As he learns from both his successes and failures, we can only hope that he gets better as he gets experience. He wasn't coach of the year last season for nothing, not to excuse us ONLY making the playoffs this season thus far

Deffinately. And dont get me wrong here. This wasnt supposed to be a doom and gloom type of thread, just pointing out observations, and areas where we havent been perfect.

Deffinately. And dont get me wrong here. This wasnt supposed to be a doom and gloom type of thread, just pointing out observations, and areas where we havent been perfect.

Cool, I can respect that and I did gain a lot of insight and perspective from your posts. Much appreciated
Cool, I can respect that and I did gain a lot of insight and perspective from your posts. Much appreciated

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Having them trade away Colin Jones after the awesome performances he put out on special teams last year pissed me off to no end. Along with trading him and letting Costanzo walk, the special teams performance has markedly gone down, and for what? Brandon Jacobs? There was no value in the moves that they made. Now the special teams is struggling in coverage and Jones and Costanzo are outstanding special teams performers for their respective teams.

Letting Costanzo walk was a financial decision. I didn't get the Colin Jones trade at all. They traded the guy practically for a song - a low-round pick, which usually doesn't amount to much of anything. The guy didn't make much money at all. Baalke could have stayed put and still had money for other players.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Letting Costanzo walk was a financial decision. I didn't get the Colin Jones trade at all. They traded the guy practically for a song - a low-round pick, which usually doesn't amount to much of anything. The guy didn't make much money at all. Baalke could have stayed put and still had money for other players.

His contract is 2 years for about $1.8 million. For a guy who's an absolute difference maker on special teams, that is not a high price to pay, especially considering 49ers coverage has gotten drastically worse without him and Jones. They went from the top half of the league to near dead last in kick return coverage. Bears meanwhile saw the opposite swing, with their kickoff coverage going from near the bottom of the league to near the very top. Not to say that's all on Costanzo but the guy did make a tremendous impact.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 27, 2012 at 9:23 PM ]