Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Thoughts from Idaho

• mod
  • Veteran
Y'all a bunch of over reacting sissy boys
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I don't buy the BS excuses anymore. "Well uh, we don't need them to contribute this year." Now we do, and James and Jenkins apparently still aren't ready to contribute. This draft so far doesn't pass the smell test and appears to be a disaster.

I'm starting to agree. The fact that they still can't even dress for games when injuries opened up a spot is concerning. Either they suck, or the coaches are making a big mistake by sitting them. We could really use a change of pace runner and a big play receiver right now........

Its not just the first two picks, no one from this draft has made even a minor impact, not even on ST. It is hurting us badly this season. But more than this season, my worries are about the long term harm it will cause if this is a failed draft. Like i have said many times, even the best teams in this league find players year one from their drafts. Thats why they are, and continue to be the best teams in the league.
Originally posted by modninerfan:

Thanks for your input. But i made this thread in OCT.
I thought that was a very nice post, Idaho, and it serves as a nice summation of how we've reached the team's current impasse. You're correct to point out that many of the key assumptions that informed last year's overhaul of the franchise were warrantless, and by doing so, you place an especially stark criticism on decisions made by the club over the off season and during the course of this season.

In particular, I think your paragraph regarding "creativity channeled in the wrong direction" is excellent. Creativity for creativity's sake is worthless, as it detracts from the the team developing true excellence in the areas where it has shown sparks of dominance. Creativity without focus and direction amounts to little more than directionless flailing--creative, sophisticated flailing--but flailing just the same. As I've mentioned in several posts today, I'm not sure what this fascination with creativity, gadget-plays/formations, and sophistication for sophistication's sake does to improve the team's ability to move the chains and put points on the board. It's as if winning has taken a back seat to how we go about winning--and when that happens you end up with fiascoes like today.

I think your solution is dead on, it's time for the team to go back to meat-and-potatoes, to re-establish its identity, and quit goofing around with this mickey mouse crap. Most of all, the coaching staff has to remember why some of these gadget plays were effective in the first place, because they were truly unexpected gambits that made sense within the context of the game. Now that the unexpected and the novel have become the norm, they cease being novelties and the upshot is a schizophrenic mess that has no coherent strategy.

Anyway, I thought your post was well worth taking the time to read. Unfortunately, to understand how we've come to this crossroads requires a bit of thinking and more than a paragraph or two. Great job!
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Wow, I didn't catch that. Makes it an even better post, sir!
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:

Wow, I didn't catch that. Makes it an even better post, sir!

Thanks man. Great previous post you had as well. This didnt get alot of attention in OCT when i first typed and posted it, but i figured i would give it a bump after today and see if it got more attention this time. Thanks for taking the time to write a nice response.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Dec 2, 2012 at 5:10 PM ]
  • mod
  • Veteran

I know... I was responding to the notion that this draft class is a bust.

I know... I was responding to the notion that this draft class is a bust.

I know. its been spectacular.
Stand by pretty much everything i said in OP, on OCT. 15. The only thing further i will add is this draft class not being able to contribute is hurting us badly.

Also Roman/Harbaugh need to start showing some humility and take some responsibility for these blunders.

...harbaughs= stubbornes
Originally posted by 49ercrusher:

...harbaughs= stubbornes

I dont know about stubborn. I think he honestly believes he is doing the right thing. I dont think he is being stubborn just for the sake of being stubborn, but he does have a huge ego. He needs to get that under control and realize that the ride or die, me against the world attitude is ok to an extent, but you also have to have humility and look at yourself in the mirror when things dont go right and question whether you made the right decisions, and if you didnt admit it, fix it, and move on.
Again, this thread was made in OCT. And again i feel mostly the same about it.

The way i look at it is this.This team has always had some shortcomings on Offense, But Alex, who was called a Game Manager, But was really more like a game General, did alot to comerup for those shortcomings through realtime adjustments at the LOS. That, and he beleived in spreading the football around, and riding Gore as the bell Cow. This was the way the offense was tailored to fit his mentality and strengths as a QB.

The Media latched on to AS as the weak link to the offense, for lack of a better term he was the scapegoat. Always has been since he was drafted.With AS getting the media attention, all harbaugh had to do was defend his QB. That is much easier to do than to defend ones own shortcomings as a coach.

Now that AS is no longer the scapegoat, the media is begining to see that this is not the dreamteam it was last season. They are begining to question why? A few of harbaughs questionable decisions this season are coming front and center, and harbaugh has yet to own those decisions.My biggest problem with harbaugh right now is the fact that he is stubborn, and hasnt taken responsibility for the mistakes he has made. I still think he is a quality coach, but i am begining to seriously question his integrity when it comes to taking responsibility for the problems he and his staff has caused with this team.

I do not blame Kaep. Never have. He is a young QB with alot of talent who is obviously trying his best. It just wasnt the right time for this to happen. Russell Wilson's situation is differant in that, yes he is a rookie, but he was the starter from the getgo, his offense has had time to be tailored and molded and adjusted to best fit him over the course of an entire season, and over the last few games has hit its stride.

We attempted to change an Offense that was clearly working fine, and put Kaep out there at Midseason, with no clear vision of how that offense would look under Kaep, and no clear evidence, that even if we knew what it would look like, that it would work beter than the already strongly efficient offense we were currently running.
Again, this thread was made in OCT. And again i feel mostly the same about it.

The way i look at it is this.This team has always had some shortcomings on Offense, But Alex, who was called a Game Manager, But was really more like a game General, did alot to comerup for those shortcomings through realtime adjustments at the LOS. That, and he beleived in spreading the football around, and riding Gore as the bell Cow. This was the way the offense was tailored to fit his mentality and strengths as a QB.

The Media latched on to AS as the weak link to the offense, for lack of a better term he was the scapegoat. Always has been since he was drafted.With AS getting the media attention, all harbaugh had to do was defend his QB. That is much easier to do than to defend ones own shortcomings as a coach.

Now that AS is no longer the scapegoat, the media is begining to see that this is not the dreamteam it was last season. They are begining to question why? A few of harbaughs questionable decisions this season are coming front and center, and harbaugh has yet to own those decisions.My biggest problem with harbaugh right now is the fact that he is stubborn, and hasnt taken responsibility for the mistakes he has made. I still think he is a quality coach, but i am begining to seriously question his integrity when it comes to taking responsibility for the problems he and his staff has caused with this team.

I do not blame Kaep. Never have. He is a young QB with alot of talent who is obviously trying his best. It just wasnt the right time for this to happen. Russell Wilson's situation is differant in that, yes he is a rookie, but he was the starter from the getgo, his offense has had time to be tailored and molded and adjusted to best fit him over the course of an entire season, and over the last few games has hit its stride.

We attempted to change an Offense that was clearly working fine, and put Kaep out there at Midseason, with no clear vision of how that offense would look under Kaep, and no clear evidence, that even if we knew what it would look like, that it would work beter than the already strongly efficient offense we were currently running.

you are so dead on it is not even funny--indeed its sad that harbaugh has hijacked a season where the niners window is getting smaller--gore and justin msith arent getting any younger

and meanwhile the seahawks are surging and they are basically looking to russell wilson to manage the game--
Originally posted by hofer36:
you are so dead on it is not even funny--indeed its sad that harbaugh has hijacked a season where the niners window is getting smaller--gore and justin msith arent getting any younger

and meanwhile the seahawks are surging and they are basically looking to russell wilson to manage the game--

Don't Get me wrong. I like harbaugh as our coach. I just seriously question a couple of the decisions this season, and the fact is, those decisions have been critical in getting us to where we currently are as a team.

I still dont think its to late to go to AS for the cardnils game, let him get his legs back under him, then come post season go back to the bread and butter offense that got us so far last season, and the begining of this season. I dont however see that ever happening. Even if Kaep came out and had an aweful game against AZ, hich is doubtful, Coach would still not make the change back.

For all of coaches positives, his one negative IMO, his lack of being able to admit/realise when he is wrong, will not allow him to see that this teams best shot at a post season run would be with AS under center.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,600 for IdahoNiner.
What happened to all that depth i was told we had?

Other than LMJ, and Celek, barely starting to contribute the last couple of games, we are not getting contribution from our draft class. This draft is seriously coming back to bite us in the ass. Hopefully it doesnt hurt us over the long term, but it is certainly hurting us this year. Like i said, good teams simply do not have drafts like this. Even the best teams in the league year in and year out cant afford it.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
What happened to all that depth i was told we had?

Other than LMJ, and Celek, barely starting to contribute the last couple of games, we are not getting contribution from our draft class. This draft is seriously coming back to bite us in the ass. Hopefully it doesnt hurt us over the long term, but it is certainly hurting us this year. Like i said, good teams simply do not have drafts like this. Even the best teams in the league year in and year out cant afford it.
idaho said nothing that is not true