There are 152 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

This is NOT a GREAT TEAM in 2012.

We're better all around except for the kicking game. Kicking was the difference in the 2 Rams games.
Still waiting for special teams to show up, clock management still an issue, and would love to see an effective four minute and two minute offence.
Still waiting for special teams to show up, clock management still an issue, and would love to see an effective four minute and two minute offence.
Originally posted by father49er:
We're better all around except for the kicking game. Kicking was the difference in the 2 Rams games.

Remember that the statistical analysis firm that analyzes team prospects predicted 6-10 or 7-9 and not making the playoffs. If not for two missed kicks, this team would be 12-2. That's not really to blame Akers for the record. It's just to show that the team is very close to where it was last year record wise and those predictions were wrong.
This team we have here.......is one of the greatest teams in the history of football. I'm telling u right now. This team is deeper than the Titanic baby.
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
This team we have here.......is one of the greatest teams in the history of football. I'm telling u right now. This team is deeper than the Titanic baby.

Too soon
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:

Too soon

He meant the Lusitania.
Was about to lose my s**t until I noticed this thread was created in October..lol

I think we have a great team now.
The only thing that bothers me is our rotation on defense. We have got to give some of these younger kids a chance to play. We our gassed in the 4th quarter and it shows BIG time!
I don't know why people still are ragging on the special teams. The coverage unit is doing great. The two problems we have is Akers and ginn.
Nitpick: We have a very, very good defense. I don't think a great one, as I keep hearing. Or the implication is this is the best 49er defense we have ever had.

But I can remember some outstanding defenses we had in past years that in crunch time (4th qtr) didn't give up the score when the opponent needed it.

Our loss to the Rams, we go in front of them, severely need a stop and can't even slow them down to a FG. Tie game etc.on to lose

Brady's comeback 4 consecutive TDs in 4 consecutive series? Not slowed a single one to a FG? 28 points lead isn't enough for a "great" Defense ... we gotta score TD to win?

We are very good, but have a way to be great.
Who is truly better than us? Is there any team right now in the NFL that can beat us convincingly? Maybe there just aren't any "great" teams this year. Did you consider the Giants great when they won the SB, or the Packers?
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Who is truly better than us? Is there any team right now in the NFL that can beat us convincingly? Maybe there just aren't any "great" teams this year. Did you consider the Giants great when they won the SB, or the Packers?

I agree with this
Why do people keep pointing to the whole special teams as an issue? Kickoff and punt coverage has been outstanding for weeks. The only reason Lee isn't having a probowl outing is because he doesn't have to BOOM it every time. He's getting ton's of punts inside of the 20 and IMO is having a pro bowl season. Kickoffs have been no issue for Akers. We have had some miscues in the punt return game but that is more from "over effort" by players than lack of skill. Yes Akers has missed some big kicks and I agree that the Rams games would have been won if Akers is on his FG game. But other than that issue ST is doing very well as far as I am concerned.
[ Edited by VA49er on Dec 19, 2012 at 10:44 AM ]
Not great!

Because we haven't won the BIG game - we're not a proven product - yet.. When we win the SBowl and repeat - then we're great.

Then again, our definitions of great are very different.

When the "great" RB of NFL history are mentioned Bo Jackson's name VERY rarely is mentioned by anyone. He was considered a "great" RB by many. IMO, he could have been great - BUT, greatness must stand the test of time. Walter Payton was GREAT, you never hear a word that he wasn't. He did it for years and years. Emitt Smith's name is always mentioned, as is Jim Brown, Gayle Sayers, Barry Sanders. If APeterson can stay in the game for another 4-5 years and produce like he's currently doing - ONLY then will he be considered truely great.

IMO, you have to be at the very top 2 for at least 4-5 years. Just like the Niner teams of the 80's-90's.

All that said - we MOST definitely have the potential to be "Great"!