There are 134 users in the forums

The good news is....................................................

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
I don't think the scheme is faulty. We have shown we can throw the ball and open it up with some success when necessary. However, we are best when we control the lines of scrimmage, control the TOP and get our running game going. Having said that, sometimes you are in a hole that is too large and you must abandon the run game. We are not built to win that way with Alex at QB and I am a pretty big supporter of his. Our D is supposed to be able to keep us in any game, which allows us to stick to our style of play for the most part. As many have noted, the Texans are playing a lot like we did last year. Their O looks better but our D last year was more dominant than theirs. Our D has fallen off this year. We all knew it would happen, you cannot have that turnover differential two years running.

Our D will inevitably have average to bad games. Our O just is not explosive enough to make up for instances where our D has some lapses. We tend to score on long, time consuming drives. We have talent on offense and some playmakers, we just don't take many high risk/reward chances. Moss is still a deep threat but he is older now, also Alex doesn't throw the best deep ball. Still, I'd like to see at least some attempt at a true vertical game other than just Vernon. Would giving Jenkins and even Williams more of a shot really hurt us that much? Would it hurt more than running those stupid Kaep plays?

We knew this was going to happen, the offense would need to carry some of the load the defense carried last year. The problem is the weapons we brought in aren't being utilized as per their skills. Moss and Manningham have true vertical threat ability, yet we don't have the QB to actually take advantage of their skills. Alex can throw deep but he isn't accurate with most of those throws. They are being used as decoys or underneath catches which doesn't really get you anywhere. 90% of Alex's throws look to always be at 10 yards or less. If we play from behind, those type of throws are useless. If Alex played like he did against the Saints last year, we would be fine. I think the whole team lost some edge that they had last year. Need to get that back ASAP, especially Alex.
Originally posted by Baldie:
I don't think the scheme is faulty. We have shown we can throw the ball and open it up with some success when necessary. However, we are best when we control the lines of scrimmage, control the TOP and get our running game going. Having said that, sometimes you are in a hole that is too large and you must abandon the run game. We are not built to win that way with Alex at QB and I am a pretty big supporter of his. Our D is supposed to be able to keep us in any game, which allows us to stick to our style of play for the most part. As many have noted, the Texans are playing a lot like we did last year. Their O looks better but our D last year was more dominant than theirs. Our D has fallen off this year. We all knew it would happen, you cannot have that turnover differential two years running.

Our D will inevitably have average to bad games. Our O just is not explosive enough to make up for instances where our D has some lapses. We tend to score on long, time consuming drives. We have talent on offense and some playmakers, we just don't take many high risk/reward chances. Moss is still a deep threat but he is older now, also Alex doesn't throw the best deep ball. Still, I'd like to see at least some attempt at a true vertical game other than just Vernon. Would giving Jenkins and even Williams more of a shot really hurt us that much? Would it hurt more than running those stupid Kaep plays?

We knew this was going to happen, the offense would need to carry some of the load the defense carried last year. The problem is the weapons we brought in aren't being utilized as per their skills. Moss and Manningham have true vertical threat ability, yet we don't have the QB to actually take advantage of their skills. Alex can throw deep but he isn't accurate with most of those throws. They are being used as decoys or underneath catches which doesn't really get you anywhere. 90% of Alex's throws look to always be at 10 yards or less. If we play from behind, those type of throws are useless. If Alex played like he did against the Saints last year, we would be fine. I think the whole team lost some edge that they had last year. Need to get that back ASAP, especially Alex.

When we get behind, it seems that we don't even try to come back...the team lacks the 'heart' that we had last year..
Hard to say this but we might be better offensively had we signed Hasselbeck a couple years ago. Weren't we a possibly destination for him but he decided to sign with Tennessee? I think had Harbaugh been in place already he probably chooses the niners.

No way. Hasselback, at this age, would have been a disaster and set this team back another 3-4 years. Someone I always though should have been given some consideration was Michael Vick, but hindsight is 20/20. Alex is probably not the best QB in the world, but he is a good option nonetheless if we play to his strengths. Pound the ball, and set up PA pass. Thats the only way....

I agree. He has that ability and has shown it when he gets pissed off or pushed to the brink. I hope this beat down awakens some of that killer instinct that we saw last year. Alex has the physical skill set, he does not have a cannon arm but he can make good throws. It's his mentality. He's a smart guy and I'm sure he's always overthinking, not willing to make that one big mistake that might cost us the game. However, the great ones all say f*ck it once in a while and sling it out, he's not willing to take enough risks.
Originally posted by BayAreaNinersFan:
People, we simply might not be able to revert to our 'formula' in some games. We will need to come from behind some games this year as our D doesn't appear as dominant. Therefore, we will need to throw more.

We might need to accept that the NFL is a passing league instead of trying to persist as an exception. We need to pass the ball better, end of story.
'

I agree with this. I'm a realist and think we got exposed today on O. We can't play from behind very well and althout we are a good team, we are not elite
At this point I will keep my prediction of 11-5, a division win, and a home game against the Packers in the divisional round. We better clean up the offense against good teams before our playoff run or we'll be one and done.
The only good news is that the Cowboys lost. Im not worried about our division. We'll definitely make the playoffs. It gives me great pleasure to see the Cowboys collapse and then watch Ed Werder soak tears onto his mustache when he gives us a postgame report.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Good news is we are on short rest so a win thursday and we quickly forget about this terrible game today.
When the 49ers were running the ball and barely winning games last year many fans cried for a passing game. The 49ers passed the crap out of the ball the last couple of weeks and everyone was happy. This week Alex is passing the ball and throwing interceptions and now people want to get back to run run run? LOL Maybe it's not the run game or the fact that passing plays are being called. Maybe just maybe it's a QB that is not as consistent as we all would like him to be.
the good news is..........WE THREW TO RANDY MOSS 3 TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow we really know how to use those weapons!!!!!

Originally posted by vamphunter23:
the good news is..........WE THREW TO RANDY MOSS 3 TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow we really know how to use those weapons!!!!!

Didn't you get the memo? We are saving him for the play-offs.

I agree. He has that ability and has shown it when he gets pissed off or pushed to the brink. I hope this beat down awakens some of that killer instinct that we saw last year. Alex has the physical skill set, he does not have a cannon arm but he can make good throws. It's his mentality. He's a smart guy and I'm sure he's always overthinking, not willing to make that one big mistake that might cost us the game. However, the great ones all say f*ck it once in a while and sling it out, he's not willing to take enough risks.

This is the 2nd beat down in 4 weeks, how many do they need? Just sayin..
Originally posted by 49erswillbeback:
Originally posted by vamphunter23:

Didn't you get the memo? We are saving him for the play-offs.

Riiight...........!
Alex is still our savior!!!
Moss proved he can still go deep (we need to dial his number at least 3-5 times a game), Alex proved with proper pass protection he can get the ball there. Stop the gadget plays, pound the rock with Gore and Hunter at least 30 times a game, set up play action. If we can get into reasonable filed goal position then kick it, if not let Andy Lee do his thing. Just stop putting our d in f'd up situations! We went 13-3 with this formal, I don't mind running maybe 5 (1-2 in a close game) low risk gadget plays a game but that's it. Oh and get another pass rusher or two in here!
[ Edited by 24plus25er on Oct 14, 2012 at 10:55 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone