LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

Out-coached!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Outplayed AND outcoached. Abandoning a running game that was working was the most inexplicable, especially when there was still time enough in the game for a comeback. Then, in a 4th quarter when we needed 3 TD's to win, there was no sense of urgency!? Yes, the Giants were the better team yesterday, but did we need to help them along with poor coaching decisions?

This. Very well put.
Offensively I don't see how we were out-coached. We just went IN with a retarded gameplan that we expected to work for whatever reason
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by dj43:
It's one thing for JH to rev up Smith by telling him and the media, the Smith is an elite QB, it is entirely another when JH starts to believe it! Smith is an average, "serviceable" QB, the game plans need to reflect that. Smith is fine and can get us where we all want to go, but he needs to be in the system, and not the focus of the system.

Giving up on the running game even though it had been very successful was a MAJOR reason that the passing game failed. The 49ers and Alex Smith are one of the very best play action passing teams in the league. This is due largely to the strength of the running game which forces at least one safety to play close to the LOS to defend against the run.

At the beginning of the game yesterday, 49er receivers were finding space due to the fact the safeties were usually occupied elsewhere. Once Roman abandoned the run, the safeties were either sitting back waiting to poach or were double covering the receivers. Without any of the easy options Smith had at the beginning of the game he began forcing throws and the result was disaster.

This is not rocket science. I would bet/hope, that Harbaugh and Roman are sitting down at 4949 right now saying, "we REALLY screwed up."

You abandon the run when you need to score...because you are behind, we see other teams do this against us almost every week. When we game plan against our type, and it shows pretty clearly. Also I find it sad that we need to bring in our deep passing QB to get the ball downfield more than 30 yards in the air.

Had we stuck with the run, I believe we would have scored, certainly more than the 3 pts we did trying to pass! and at the time, there was sufficient opportunity to keep running, but we abandoned it early on. As it was, we averaged nearly 5 yds a carry between Frank and Kendall only to put it all on Alex's shoulders and we saw what happened there. Then, in the 4th quarter with only about 10 minutes left and 3 touchdowns behind, did we go no huddle? Call plays to advance down the field and stop the clock? Have any sense of urgency whatsoever? NO! Mystifying!!!! It's a good thiong I have a buzz cut, 'cause if my hair had been long enough to grab, I'd have pulled it out by the roots! The ride home was not fun.
Also I find it sad that we need to bring in our deep passing QB to get the ball downfield more than 30 yards in the air.

You didn't know? That's all he's good for, QB option runs and deep balls with his big arm, he doesn't really have good touch on short passes lol... He probably throws those too hard.
[ Edited by MrTruth on Oct 15, 2012 at 5:17 PM ]
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Offensively I don't see how we were out-coached. We just went IN with a retarded gameplan that we expected to work for whatever reason

They got "out coached" cause the NYG wasn't fool by the nonsense they came up with offensively. That includes the game plan, play calling and adjustments in the game.
Originally posted by MrTruth:

They got "out coached" cause the NYG wasn't fool by the nonsense they came up with offensively. That includes the game plan, play calling and adjustments in the game.

What adjustments? lmao
  • dj43
It's one thing for JH to rev up Smith by telling him and the media, the Smith is an elite QB, it is entirely another when JH starts to believe it! Smith is an average, "serviceable" QB, the game plans need to reflect that. Smith is fine and can get us where we all want to go, but he needs to be in the system, and not the focus of the system.

Giving up on the running game even though it had been very successful was a MAJOR reason that the passing game failed. The 49ers and Alex Smith are one of the very best play action passing teams in the league. This is due largely to the strength of the running game which forces at least one safety to play close to the LOS to defend against the run.

At the beginning of the game yesterday, 49er receivers were finding space due to the fact the safeties were usually occupied elsewhere. Once Roman abandoned the run, the safeties were either sitting back waiting to poach or were double covering the receivers. Without any of the easy options Smith had at the beginning of the game he began forcing throws and the result was disaster.

This is not rocket science. I would bet/hope, that Harbaugh and Roman are sitting down at 4949 right now saying, "we REALLY screwed up."

You abandon the run when you need to score...because you are behind, we see other teams do this against us almost every week. When we game plan against our type, and it shows pretty clearly. Also I find it sad that we need to bring in our deep passing QB to get the ball downfield more than 30 yards in the air.

We were not behind for the first two Kaep appearances. Down 10-3 or even 17-3 is not so much that you give up the run game. Roman gave up the run game for a gimmick when the 49ers were still ahead.

It isn't a matter of arm strength. The pass that MM almost hauled in was in the air 60 yards. The problem is that the 49ers had very few deep patterns in the game plan, or at least called almost none of them. Of course part of that was the pressure their DL was bringing. After a nearly clean game last week, he was getting pounded yesterday. Can't plan to throw deep very often under those circumstances.
  • dj43
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
...Cruz, Hixon and Nicks are ALL THREE better than anyone on the 49ers. Each one of them demands safety attention unless you want to invite trouble...Smith is excellent but when forced to throw, no one can dependably relied on to be open. That was made abundantly clear yesterday.

It was amazing to watch the way their receivers jumped for the ball, turned their bodies to shield off the defenders and came down with the catch, seemingly every time they touched the ball. Is it talent, coaching or both?

Talent.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
So Hixon is better than crabs ?
What adjustments? lmao

Exactly, none was made and they stuck to the failed game plan apparently

Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
So Hixon is better than crabs ?

He was yesterday. No doubt NYG knows how to use their players and it was obvious 9ers didn't game plan for Hixon and Eli took advantage of it like he did in the NFCC with receivers other than Cruz, Manningham and Nicks.
[ Edited by MrTruth on Oct 15, 2012 at 5:57 PM ]

That's being out-coached bro. The coaching staff makes the game plan.
[ Edited by Schulzy on Oct 15, 2012 at 5:59 PM ]
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Schulzy:

Originally posted by Baldie:
Originally posted by Schulzy:

We out coached ourselves lol
There are some great points in here. Nice thread everyone.
Share 49ersWebzone