There are 228 users in the forums

Out-coached!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Missing those first two touchdowns and field goal laid the foundation of despair for the Niners. Don't forget how well Gore was running early on. I'm not afraid of the tinkering but not so often. In times past we would utilize a gadget play to free a lesser used option, but now we believed that we have arrived as this fluid take any shape conundrum that confuses defenses. But without execution these plays are usually make coaches look lost or desperate.

We need more sacks from the Ahmad Brooks' of the world when others are doubled.
Not worried....Alex Smith played like sh**.....O-line didnt do any better.....and coach was being too cute with the offense.....we'll clean that up soon....Seahawks better watch out....we going be mad next game....
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
If anyone watched this game from starts to end and blames anyone other than Jim Harbaugh and Greg Roman for this lost, then you have to be blind, crazy, or you just don't know football. The offense was fine until the started using these SILLY gadget plays against the Super Bowl Champions. I wasn't a fan when we did it against Buffalo and NYJ, so I sure as hell thought this was foolish. Yes Alex threw the picks at the end of the day, but Greg Roman might as well had put a gun to Alex's head and told him to throw a pick. In and Out, In and Out, In and Out... I don't mind seeing Kaep once or twice a game (with us having the lead), but running on and off the field in the middle of a big time game... no sir!

Finally a post that makes sense. Cheers to you sir.

Said more succinctly than I.

Games are often won early although that is not always apparent. Yesterday showed us a team that came out in rhythm that was moving the ball. The 49ers dominated early. At the time, and in review, it was clear that the gimmick plays (Harbaugh told Aikman he would use some plays he got from his father and that they would be obvious when you saw them) interrupted the flow and timing of the offense. If Smith would have been allowed to continue in the rhythm they had established and the 49ers gone up by 14 or even 10 points, the momentum that established may well have changed the final outcome. As it was, it was clear the Giants had weathered the storm and could now go to work.

Fantastic points. I think most people can agree with this, thus why this place is quite functional today. Some really good civil football talk imo.

That and everyone is affraid of the ban hammer....

Its hard to argue the QB carosel wasn't a factor....I would even submit that we dominated the first half or most of it. We looked great in the run and pass and our D was doing there job (Hence only 7 points by the Gmen).

One thing I've noticed: This offense seems to unravel when playing from behind.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Oct 15, 2012 at 12:00 PM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
It's one thing for JH to rev up Smith by telling him and the media, the Smith is an elite QB, it is entirely another when JH starts to believe it! Smith is an average, "serviceable" QB, the game plans need to reflect that. Smith is fine and can get us where we all want to go, but he needs to be in the system, and not the focus of the system.

Giving up on the running game even though it had been very successful was a MAJOR reason that the passing game failed. The 49ers and Alex Smith are one of the very best play action passing teams in the league. This is due largely to the strength of the running game which forces at least one safety to play close to the LOS to defend against the run.

At the beginning of the game yesterday, 49er receivers were finding space due to the fact the safeties were usually occupied elsewhere. Once Roman abandoned the run, the safeties were either sitting back waiting to poach or were double covering the receivers. Without any of the easy options Smith had at the beginning of the game he began forcing throws and the result was disaster.

This is not rocket science. I would bet/hope, that Harbaugh and Roman are sitting down at 4949 right now saying, "we REALLY screwed up."
  • dj43
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by danimal:
surprise surprise. DJ43 is blaming the coaches AGAIN. Maybe once the Niners run through every single NFL and NCAA coach you can start to look at QB

Surprise surprise.

Another dumb f**king post.

Funny he chooses such a great time to make a reappearance.

eh, Danimal is usually a pretty good poster or has been in the past. I was surprised by his comment. That is why I asked the question.
It's one thing for JH to rev up Smith by telling him and the media, the Smith is an elite QB, it is entirely another when JH starts to believe it! Smith is an average, "serviceable" QB, the game plans need to reflect that. Smith is fine and can get us where we all want to go, but he needs to be in the system, and not the focus of the system.

Giving up on the running game even though it had been very successful was a MAJOR reason that the passing game failed. The 49ers and Alex Smith are one of the very best play action passing teams in the league. This is due largely to the strength of the running game which forces at least one safety to play close to the LOS to defend against the run.

At the beginning of the game yesterday, 49er receivers were finding space due to the fact the safeties were usually occupied elsewhere. Once Roman abandoned the run, the safeties were either sitting back waiting to poach or were double covering the receivers. Without any of the easy options Smith had at the beginning of the game he began forcing throws and the result was disaster.

This is not rocket science. I would bet/hope, that Harbaugh and Roman are sitting down at 4949 right now saying, "we REALLY screwed up."

I look at it differently. You can't completely change what you have been preparing for and maybe we practiced to throw the ball because that was the plan. Sometimes, the passing game has to come through and it didn't.

This is not the 1st time. It happened vs Minn too, against a good defense also. Now we need to see if they will do this ever again and stop running the ball or overuse CK.
If they do, Greg Roman needs to be replaced or Harb needs to put a stop to it as the HC, game plan wise or in game and adjustments.
[ Edited by MrTruth on Oct 15, 2012 at 12:24 PM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:

I look at it differently. You can't completely change what you have been preparing for and maybe we practiced to throw the ball because that was the plan. Sometimes, the passing game has to come through and it didn't.

The first two series had to be part of the game plan. The CHANGE was when they went away from that.

The 49ers have played that style successfully for 20+ games now. It should not be a problem to continue on with that.

Read my comments on the running game setting up the passing game and get back to me.
Originally posted by Joecool:

They thought they can surprise the NYG with the passing game, they thought their WR crop has improved dramatically, they thought AS was a great/HOF QB, they thought overusing CK would result in success, and they thought they could win a game against the defending SB champs NYG without establishing a running game therefore going with an unbalanced offensive attack by primarily passing and mixing in a gimmicky wildcat QB in CK instead of traditional running plays.

Well they thought wrong, it would be a big mistake to try that again against a good team with a good defense for the rest of the season. If someone continues with that nonsense, you can bet someone will be on the chopping block by season's end. As they said, "You are either getting better or getting worse." since they're putting that on the players, I believe that should apply to the coaching staff too.
[ Edited by MrTruth on Oct 15, 2012 at 12:39 PM ]
Outplayed AND outcoached. Abandoning a running game that was working was the most inexplicable, especially when there was still time enough in the game for a comeback. Then, in a 4th quarter when we needed 3 TD's to win, there was no sense of urgency!? Yes, the Giants were the better team yesterday, but did we need to help them along with poor coaching decisions?

• dj43
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Outplayed AND outcoached. Abandoning a running game that was working was the most inexplicable, especially when there was still time enough in the game for a comeback. Then, in a 4th quarter when we needed 3 TD's to win, there was no sense of urgency!? Yes, the Giants were the better team yesterday, but did we need to help them along with poor coaching decisions?

The Giants were not the better team in the first quarter when the 49ers were playing 49er football. It was only when the offense changed character that the Giants excelled.

The biggest mistake the coaching staff made, IMO, was overestimating the quality of 49er WRs. Cruz, Hixon and Nicks are ALL THREE better than anyone on the 49ers. Each one of them demands safety attention unless you want to invite trouble. Consequently, if you are going to beat NY, you are going to have to do it primarily on the ground and then use that to set up the pass. In play action, Smith is excellent but when forced to throw, no one can dependably relied on to be open. That was made abundantly clear yesterday.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
At first this year I was like yay were passing more. Now I hate it. Just run the rock like last year IDGAF if its not as fun to watch at least it's a W
And our D was aggressive and brought the pain and heat

Harbaugh/Roman/Vic f**k you guys

Coaching failed big time, but this just made me lol.
...Cruz, Hixon and Nicks are ALL THREE better than anyone on the 49ers. Each one of them demands safety attention unless you want to invite trouble...Smith is excellent but when forced to throw, no one can dependably relied on to be open. That was made abundantly clear yesterday.

It was amazing to watch the way their receivers jumped for the ball, turned their bodies to shield off the defenders and came down with the catch, seemingly every time they touched the ball. Is it talent, coaching or both?
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
That Kapernick sack was HUGE for the NY Giants. It brought up 3rd and 21 instead of a first and near goal.score there and we're only down two td's with momentum and it's still the 3rd quarter.

-Rogers dropping that easy ass pick.

-too many INTS

-Akers missing 2

-Too much subbing out Alex and Patrick Willis

-abandoning the run (although 23-3 at the middle of the third, one could make an argument)

Let's kill some seahawks on Thursday

Also, anybody seen RayMac this entire season???

You abandon the run when you need to score...because you are behind, we see other teams do this against us almost every week. When we game plan against our type, and it shows pretty clearly. Also I find it sad that we need to bring in our deep passing QB to get the ball downfield more than 30 yards in the air.
Share 49ersWebzone