There are 332 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Out-coached!

• Garcia
  • Veteran
Originally posted by father49er:
We lost because of the turnovers. Each of the 3 interceptions, Alex stared down the receiver so Rolle can jump the route. Sorry. The game plan was sound, the players couldn't get it done. Harbaugh blamed it on planning to take pressure off of Alex - the right thing to do given we have another game in 4 days.

Special teams sucked as well.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by captain_planet:
Total net yards:
Giants - 342
49ers - 314

Average gain per play:
Giants - 5.3
49ers - 5.2

Third down:
Giants - 5/15
49ers - 4/14

If the turnover margin was closer to the norm and Akers kicked well, this would have been a great game. It was the interceptions and missed field goals that cost us. The game planning and play calling weren't perfect, but we still were about even besides the turnovers.

Yeah, even when they were up just 10-3, you felt it was out of reach because of how bad we were playing.

too many gimmick plays. they need to get back to what they were doing against detroit, green bay, jets and bills. they tried to force the wild kaep/pistol offense b******t and rotated the QBs way too much. impossible to get into a rhythm when they get pulled every other play. they had success in the 1st half with smith when he was consistently playing, they started to get into trouble when they kept putting kaep in and yanking smith. they need to run Gore more than 8 times thats for damn sure. run shotgun sets with 3 or 4 options like smith likes. moss should be on the field a lot more than he is, he takes a safety with him EVERY time! whether hes a decoy or a target he needs to be out there. also need to get davis and crabs involved on the underneath stuff and on slants. lot of improvements need to be made on how they approach their offensive philosophy. gotta get the passing game goin at all costs.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by father49er:
We lost because of the turnovers. Each of the 3 interceptions, Alex stared down the receiver so Rolle can jump the route. Sorry. The game plan was sound, the players couldn't get it done. Harbaugh blamed it on planning to take pressure off of Alex - the right thing to do given we have another game in 4 days.

Special teams sucked as well.

Not to mention our DB's got torched and we had no pass rush. It was a total team collapse. Offense, defense, ST, coaching.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by captain_planet:
Total net yards:
Giants - 342
49ers - 314

Average gain per play:
Giants - 5.3
49ers - 5.2

Third down:
Giants - 5/15
49ers - 4/14

If the turnover margin was closer to the norm and Akers kicked well, this would have been a great game. It was the interceptions and missed field goals that cost us. The game planning and play calling weren't perfect, but we still were about even besides the turnovers.

Yeah, even when they were up just 10-3, you felt it was out of reach because of how bad we were playing.

too many gimmick plays. they need to get back to what they were doing against detroit, green bay, jets and bills. they tried to force the wild kaep/pistol offense b******t and rotated the QBs way too much. impossible to get into a rhythm when they get pulled every other play. they had success in the 1st half with smith when he was consistently playing, they started to get into trouble when they kept putting kaep in and yanking smith. they need to run Gore more than 8 times thats for damn sure. run shotgun sets with 3 or 4 options like smith likes. moss should be on the field a lot more than he is, he takes a safety with him EVERY time! whether hes a decoy or a target he needs to be out there. also need to get davis and crabs involved on the underneath stuff and on slants. lot of improvements need to be made on how they approach their offensive philosophy. gotta get the passing game goin at all costs.

Yeah, keep the gimmick plays to a minimum, like when we've got the lead. Seeing the wild Kap when we're trailing was inappropriate. The coaches out gimmicked themselves.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Let's kill some seahawks on Thursday

This *100.
We just took the NY Giants for granted & got punched straight in the mouth for doing so. Each & everyone thinking of sweet revenge got the end of the stick. I just hope that our coaches & our team can learn from this beat down & return the favor in the playoffs & play our type of game, as for now let's take this f**ked up feeling out on the Seahawks...
I agree with the OP entirely. We were outcoached. The Kaep packages were total drive killers. It's fine for a weapon not to work in a game; what annoyed me was the insistence to keep trying it. It reminded me of the worst Singletary days where he kept sending poor Frank between the tackles against 8 and 9 man boxes to break through by sheer willpower. The first half challenge was totally bizarre - hopefully someone upstairs gets an earful about it.

The worst thing about this loss is that it confirmed what was also in evidence in the Minny defeat: once we fall behind the team go into a total funk: DBs drop picks, Alex starts forcing the ball into multiple coverage and the playcalling moves from "exotic" to "bizarre". This makes me suspect that the team are a bit "overcoached": if the gameplan works and we go ahead then all is sweetenss and light. Once Plan A goes pear-shaped however there is little evidence we can adapt and improvise.
This was a really bad offensive gameplan, that's for sure.
Last year the Giants lost 5 of 6 games in the second half of the season. They would have lost 6 in a row but the Boys' gifted them a win. As late as Dec. every one in NY was calling for the Coach to go. Oh yeah, one other thing they won the Super Bowl. Just get to the party and the second season starts. Sure they made some mistakes against the Giants, correctable mistakes. Show me a QB with years in the league that hasn't thrown 3 or 4 interceptions in a game. The way I see it the foundation is in place after a decade of failure. What's the Giants record? 4-2, same as the 49ers.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
If anyone watched this game from starts to end and blames anyone other than Jim Harbaugh and Greg Roman for this lost, then you have to be blind, crazy, or you just don't know football. The offense was fine until the started using these SILLY gadget plays against the Super Bowl Champions. I wasn't a fan when we did it against Buffalo and NYJ, so I sure as hell thought this was foolish. Yes Alex threw the picks at the end of the day, but Greg Roman might as well had put a gun to Alex's head and told him to throw a pick. In and Out, In and Out, In and Out... I don't mind seeing Kaep once or twice a game (with us having the lead), but running on and off the field in the middle of a big time game... no sir!

Finally a post that makes sense. Cheers to you sir.

i agree with this. everytime i see the crappy jets take out sanchez for some lame tebow play- i giggle at the failure of rex rayn.

NOW WERE DOING IT?!

come on...
Originally posted by dj43:
It is the job of coaches to put players in a position to succeed, and very often that comes down to scheme. Today, Jim Harbaugh and Greg Roman got taken out behind the woodshed for a coaching lesson from Tom Coughlin, Perry Fewell and Kevin Gilbride. Let's hope they learned from the lesson, and in a hurry. A very good Seattle team is coming in just three days.

Didn't that happen in the NFCC last year and in the Minn game this season already? One more time of this fail game planning, useless adjustment, desperate overuse of CK, and not running the ball enough with our capable RBs and o-line, I think someone needs to go.... >>> Greg Roman

I mean it's one thing to beat out weak teams with your gimmick CK QB options and such, your players are simply better than theirs, any decent offensive game plan can get it done and look good really. But against good teams with good defenses that nonsense and fail adjustments isn't going to get it done.
[ Edited by MrTruth on Oct 15, 2012 at 7:40 AM ]
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by danimal:
surprise surprise. DJ43 is blaming the coaches AGAIN. Maybe once the Niners run through every single NFL and NCAA coach you can start to look at QB

Surprise surprise.

Another dumb f**king post.

Funny he chooses such a great time to make a reappearance.
the 49ers really need to get back to our brand of football. we outcoached ourselves. the giants didnt do anything special, they played mistake free ball and they shortened the field for their offense in the second half, and ran the ball down our throats! SOUNDS FAMILIAR!!! we played like the other ny team,the jets. running stupid trick plays, playing soft defense, and qb playing erratic. go figure
Freddie P Soft, was in the coaches room this week, he helped drafted a real cutesy frilly game plan. He gave several motivational speeches to the players, and they when soft!

Every now and again a team fails to show up, this week it was us, lets hope this does not become a habit.

The key ingredient missing from the game plan and players....Toughness, we were not the most physical team on the field yesterday, when we are we generally win, we were SOFT!
The whole switching QB's is for sure breaking the rhythm leave Smith in as long as he is making plays if he gets into a funk then switch CK for a couple downs.....another thing is they need more hurry up no huddle offense when they are behind in these games they act like they have all the time in the world their clock management has been really bad