LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

Out-coached!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
The 49ers were defeated today in all three phases of the game...make that all four phases. They were defeated on offense. They were defeated on defense. They were defeated on special teams. And they were defeated big time in the coaching department.

The 49ers came out strong on offense and moved the ball down the field. They were in rhythm. They ran the ball well and they passed it well. Then Harbaugh/Roman decided to start playing with their toys instead of continuing to play the football that has resulted in victories. On four occasions they brought in Kaepernick in the middle of a nice drive and in 3 of those 4 situations the play was stuffed and it put the 49ers in a hole that resulted in a punt. Instead of continuing to run the ball the way they started they went to the passing game with some very predictable stuff that the Giants shut down easily. From there on the offense just went down hill. The Giants had scouted 49er tendencies very well. They took away Vernon Davis and with Davis gone, there were easily able to defend Crabtree and Manningham one-on-one which left the safeties to double and play the ball. Alex Smith was due for an off day and he had one but give the Giants credit for disguising coverages which made it even worse for Smith. The result was a mess.

While the Giants were pounding Alex Smith with constant pressure, the 49er defense wasn't even in the same area code with Eli Manning. A good QB like Manning will kill any secondary, and when you add in a top level WR like Victor Cruz, it is child's play. His threat took the 49ers out of the standard coverages and left others wide open. (Exposed the 49ers need for a true #1 receiver along the way.) Kevin Gilbride stayed with the run game and as the front 7 began to tire from the fruitless attempts to pressure Manning, the run game put the 49ers into dreamland. Those gashes look like the San Andreas Fault. They were huge and distructive.

On Special Teams...well, that gives me a headache. Something is missing. It is hard to believe that the loss of Jones' speed and Costanza personality have made this much difference but those are the only obvious things to be seen.

Which brings me to coaching: The miscues started with the aforementioned Kapernick packages. Not only had NY scouted them well and stuffed them, they also came in the middle of drives that were in rhythm and were moving. Nothing against CK but changing things up at a time that they team was moving the ball against a quality defense just made no sense. It was Harbaugh just playing with toys and it backfired big time. Secondly, the offensive game plan was a virtual copy of what they tried to do against the Giants in the NFCC game. Nothing new other than the CK "surprises." Yes, MM had a couple of nice catches but Crabtree was completely shut down...again and Williams didn't seem to be in the picture much at all. In the meantime, screen passes, which are normally a good way to beat pressure, just were not in the game plan at all. With Gore seemingly given the day off after the first 13 minutes of the game, the 49ers were a one-dimensional train wreck from then on.

Defensively the failure to pressure Manning was the single greatest deciding factor. This area befuddles me. When I first heard Vic Fangio was coming to SF as the defensive coordinator I was delighted. I've long been an admirer of the pressure schemes Dom Capers runs and the fact that Fangio tutored under Fangio led me to believe, or should I say hope, that Fangio would bring some of that and turn loose the tremendous LB talent on this team to make life miserable for opposing QBs. DISAPPOINTMENT is a mild word for how I feel about that. Instead of creative schemes that allow LBs to "do their thing," Fangio seems to be content to play the mano-a-mano style where you just hope your guy can beat their guy. Well, as we have seen, in this league one team rarely has that much of a talent gap so excepting the few occasions where Aldon Smith or Brooks have beaten their guy, consistent QB pressure remains missing on the team. Against a QB of the quality of Eli Manning, that spells disaster. Just as Buffalo found out against the 49ers last week, if you do not pressure a good QB, you are going to get shredded.

It is the job of coaches to put players in a position to succeed, and very often that comes down to scheme. Today, Jim Harbaugh and Greg Roman got taken out behind the woodshed for a coaching lesson from Tom Coughlin, Perry Fewell and Kevin Gilbride. Let's hope they learned from the lesson, and in a hurry. A very good Seattle team is coming in just three days.
[ Edited by dj43 on Oct 14, 2012 at 6:21 PM ]
two times this year
Well coughlin is the only HC not named Belichick to have multiple Super Bowl rings this decade. So he does seem to out coach other coaches most of the time
eh.

we were outplayed bro.

out-talented in many respects, namely, in the passing game and pass-rush. biggest keys to success in today's league.

Giants were like #1 scoring offense heading in to this game, and we held them to less points than their average even on so many short fields.

in games like this, you have to match that firepower. Alex f**ked up. Coaches didnt throw those bad passes. Or false start, or hold, etc.. Carols Rogers f**ked up too. Culliver was burnt a few times. Could they have done a better job game planning? Duh. But we were mostly outplayed. And outmanned. Our D Line rotation is inferior to NY's and that makes a huge difference.

What we are seeing is what our 2011 team looks like without week-in week-out dominance of our D.
The regression to the mean talk before the season (turnovers and injuries) was seemingly right, hurts to admit it.

And that means our offense must compensate for this performative decrease. It's the players who've failed to show they can do this against the better teams. I'm not naming anyone..
[ Edited by BayAreaNinersFan on Oct 14, 2012 at 6:31 PM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by BayAreaNinersFan:
eh.

we were outplayed bro.

out-talented in many respects, namely, in the passing game and pass-rush. biggest keys to success in today's league.

Giants were like #1 scoring offense heading in to this game, and we held them to less points than their average even on so many short fields.

in games like this, you have to match that firepower. Alex f**ked up. Coaches didnt throw those bad passes. Or false start, or hold, etc.. Carols Rogers f**ked up too. Culliver was burnt a few times. Could they have done a better job game planning? Duh. But we were mostly outplayed. And outmanned. Our D Line rotation is inferior to NY's and that makes a huge difference.
Giants D played with intensity.

In the end, yes(bold), the 49ers were outplayed, BUT not until the coaching staff started tinkering with what has worked in the past.

The coverage that worked against Cruz in the NFCC game was discarded until Cruz had already burned them for one TD and caused a lot of disruption in the secondary in general. I've detailed my other complaints in the Out-Coached thread. I won't repeat them here.
Horrible game plan that was horribly executed.
[ Edited by Allx9er on Oct 16, 2012 at 12:46 PM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
eh.

we were outplayed bro.

Giants D played with intensity.

In the end, yes(bold), the 49ers were outplayed, BUT not until the coaching staff started tinkering with what has worked in the past.

The coverage that worked against Cruz in the NFCC game was discarded until Cruz had already burned them for one TD and caused a lot of disruption in the secondary in general. I've detailed my other complaints in the Out-Coached thread. I won't repeat them here.

i understand what you're saying. I'm just a lot more bummed about our roster right now than coaching...I had hoped the Vikings game was anomalous, but nope. I think the coaches will learn from this and improve schemes to a certain extent, but our lack of depth at DL and OLB is a huge concern.
And I just don't like Alex Smith as our QB when our defense doesn't show up, which as we see will happen some weeks this year.
[ Edited by BayAreaNinersFan on Oct 14, 2012 at 6:37 PM ]
surprise surprise. DJ43 is blaming the coaches AGAIN. Maybe once the Niners run through every single NFL and NCAA coach you can start to look at QB
i understand what you're saying. I'm just a lot more bummed about our roster right now than coaching...I had hoped the Vikings game was anomalous, but nope. I think the coaches will learn from this and improve schemes to a certain extent, but our lack of depth at DL and OLB is a huge concern.
And I just don't like Alex Smith as our QB when our defense doesn't show up, which as we see will happen some weeks this year.
I don't like Alex Smith as our QB when we start colin on 2nd down rather than starting Smith, and either way we need to handoff the ball to gore whoever is at QB, you want the D to show up, keep them off the field which we didn't do!
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Oct 14, 2012 at 6:39 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
More like out played.

Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
More like out played.

More like out QB'd

eh.

we were outplayed bro.

What we are seeing is what our 2011 team looks like without week-in week-out dominance of our D.
The regression to the mean talk before the season (turnovers and injuries) was seemingly right, hurts to admit it.

And that means our offense must compensate for this performative decrease. It's the players who've failed to show they can do this against the better teams. I'm not naming anyone..
I only agree with you to a point because it was so blatantly obvious that we were outcoached to a degree I didn't think was possible. You're post is of course meant to critique Alex, which is fine because I agree. But all QB's are going to have bad games, several did today along with Alex, but to not have the other components of our team prepared for this game falls squarely on the coaches. To not make any meaningful adjustments at halftime was another massive coaching fail. They simply kept doing what they did in the 1st half thinking somehow we would get it to work. Instead, it was the Giants who adjusted. We got smoked.

You're simply trying to place blame more on Smith, than on anyone else. There's alot more that went on other than Alex.
It was just a bad game overall. Perhaps it was the 49ers started to read the press clippings more than they should, but mostly the Giants just giving us a good stomping.

My quick thoughts:

- Smith just had a bad game. Even on the opening drive there his passes were wobbly and that continued throughout the day.
- I think we can slow down the "CK is the next great thing" train a bit.
- Aldon who?
- Where were the WR's?

I think also some attention needs to be paid to the coaching because the 49ers only seem to want to max protect to counter blitzes. I thought part of the reason we drafted James and Jenkins was to open up the playcalling a bit. How about some screens or hitches? And I think the offense started to over think itself after that opening drive with the trick plays. When you are playing your brand of football (pounding the run and short passes) and its working, don't outsmart yourself. In the past they worked but good teams prepare and those avenues are being shut down.

The defense didn't do so well, but then again the offense was terrible after the 1st quarter so I would largely say they did "okay".
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Oct 14, 2012 at 8:27 PM ]
At first this year I was like yay were passing more. Now I hate it. Just run the rock like last year IDGAF if its not as fun to watch at least it's a W
And our D was aggressive and brought the pain and heat

Harbaugh/Roman/Vic f**k you guys
Share 49ersWebzone