There are 320 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
During the game my 8 year old was telling me where the runs were going to go and 90% of the time he was right. If he can catch on to us motioning into a single wing and running to the wing side everytime..ugh. Seattle's d coordinator must have had fun disecting our tape.
Originally posted by AZ9erfan520:
During the game my 8 year old was telling me where the runs were going to go and 90% of the time he was right. If he can catch on to us motioning into a single wing and running to the wing side everytime..ugh. Seattle's d coordinator must have had fun disecting our tape.

The run situation wasn't going to be good any way you slice it. Gore with a broken hand, LMJ looked like his head was scrambled after that hit, Dixon is slow, and Hunter has been meh since the knee injury....not a great situation all around. Add in that Sea has a great run D and we are left with what we got. I will admit the play design could be better but I don't think it makes a big difference in that game.
Originally posted by jreff22:
The run situation wasn't going to be good any way you slice it. Gore with a broken hand, LMJ looked like his head was scrambled after that hit, Dixon is slow, and Hunter has been meh since the knee injury....not a great situation all around. Add in that Sea has a great run D and we are left with what we got. I will admit the play design could be better but I don't think it makes a big difference in that game.

Biggest issue was having to use a silent count all game. Defense eventually catches on to the timing and they got a great jump off the snap every time. That defense is already great. It's the added advantage of playing in that loud stadium that makes them so difficult to beat.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Biggest issue was having to use a silent count all game. Defense eventually catches on to the timing and they got a great jump off the snap every time. That defense is already great. It's the added advantage of playing in that loud stadium that makes them so difficult to beat.

Very good point I didn't even think of. While I think we can win and should have, it will take next year to do so. I just hope the first game is later in the season so Bowman is back.
Originally posted by NinerGM:

I look at what other teams in the NFL do rather than buying that the only viable run game is how the 49ers run. Only the 49ers insist on running regardless of the defense aligned against them. What you never see on 1st down; 3 wide runs or draws because despite V Davis being historically bad against certain opponents we don't even try, try something else. Totally willing to admit this can be a Harbaugh failing. At some point you have to be willing to try something outside of your normal routine when it's not working.

Well to be fair, we did AR McDonald for 1 catch and tried a James toss (kept it instead).

Seattle's DL was across the LOS on almost every run play, giving Gore nowhere to go. You beat aggression with screens, middle screens, and the short passing game. The niners succeeded with this to some extent but it is foreign to the team so they didn't seem to trust it enough to stick with it. Running Gore into a stack is their idea of a bread and butter play so...
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Seattle's DL was across the LOS on almost every run play, giving Gore nowhere to go. You beat aggression with screens, middle screens, and the short passing game. The niners succeeded with this to some extent but it is foreign to the team so they didn't seem to trust it enough to stick with it. Running Gore into a stack is their idea of a bread and butter play so...

Im sure all that stuff is in the playbook. Roman is just to smart to show all his cards. He is just saving some new wrinkles for next year.
Im sure all that stuff is in the playbook. Roman is just to smart to show all his cards. He is just saving some new wrinkles for next year.

Right. Or his next team.

LOL! Or the next decade? Have to pace themselves! One factor I am very much aware of is the readiness of the team to run various plays. They have to have the plays down in the playoffs or they will have their hats handed to them...as they did on many plays, particularly the last play. If you can't throw that pass high every time then you shouldn't run it. Kaepernick throws a low trajectory ball...dumb call in my opinion. They would have been much better off running crossing routes in front of the defenders and trust YAC and WR blocking. But...coulda, woulda, shoulda...
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Right. Or his next team.

so he thought
until all the positions got filled

guess he doesn't realize the more you don't do the more they say ok we don't want that. you can't go into an interview and say "trust me im not even doing what i could be with the niners.. there are so many more plays i will call when i get the job..you won't regret it"

LOL! Or the next decade? Have to pace themselves! One factor I am very much aware of is the readiness of the team to run various plays. They have to have the plays down in the playoffs or they will have their hats handed to them...as they did on many plays, particularly the last play. If you can't throw that pass high every time then you shouldn't run it. Kaepernick throws a low trajectory ball...dumb call in my opinion. They would have been much better off running crossing routes in front of the defenders and trust YAC and WR blocking. But...coulda, woulda, shoulda...

the middle of the field was wide open the entire 2nd half.
the seahawks were playing zone on their heels the entire final drive.
he had just completed a ball in the middle of the field to vd for a first time.

why wouldn't they do the same thing? it was open the same way.. the middle of the field was wide open in the intermediate area. they were protecting the outside.
but we had 2 timeouts so it doesn't matter where just get closer.

roman has proven at this point he can get us a field goal

if we need a field goal to win book it.

he cannot get us a touch down.

and we have needed touchdowns.

do you guys understand 3 plays from 5 yards away and we don't have a super bowl ring?
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
the middle of the field was wide open the entire 2nd half.
the seahawks were playing zone on their heels the entire final drive.
he had just completed a ball in the middle of the field to vd for a first time.

why wouldn't they do the same thing? it was open the same way.. the middle of the field was wide open in the intermediate area. they were protecting the outside.
but we had 2 timeouts so it doesn't matter where just get closer.

roman has proven at this point he can get us a field goal

if we need a field goal to win book it.

he cannot get us a touch down.

and we have needed touchdowns.

do you guys understand 3 plays from 5 yards away and we don't have a super bowl ring?

Hope your question is rhetorical because I doubt anyone in our 9er universe have forgotten this.
Hope your question is rhetorical because I doubt anyone in our 9er universe have forgotten this.

it seems like it.
that's why i continue to bring it up
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
it seems like it.
that's why i continue to bring it up

Pretty safe bet that the last drive in the super bowl is burnt into each one of our souls. Its also a pretty safe bet that you can stop bringing it up, and really should.
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by VDSF:
Originally posted by thl408:

OMG PATTON WAS WIDE OPEN TO THE LEFT FOR A HUGE GAIN!!!!!

Hunter was also coming open in the right flat. A nice touch pass to him might have scored or at least gotten down very close. Watch as he clears the LOS and the other LB has turned his back just before CK throws the ball.

Are we all watching the same gif? Hunter is the check down option here and is even facing CK waiting for the ball. The LB is three yards in front of him. A simple lob to the right or lead right down the middle of the field and he is gone. It's the easiest of all the passes b/c it's right in front of CK, is a simple short throw (lob) AND Hunter is the outlet if your primary read is not there and/or you are pressured. From the snap, Crabtree was locked up...Hunter would be the easy check down option here.

Yes. Lob it over the LB and that's an easy catch and run by hunter. Not sure if he would've made it into the endzone but he would've gotten close.

Disturbing, Crabtree blanketed and Hunter wide open. Hunter probably would have scored with a short simple pass.
Share 49ersWebzone