LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 413 users in the forums

Official Greg "the mad scientist" Roman Express

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Okay, Roman might not be the best OC ever, but he's hardly as bad as everyone makes him out to be. If he leaves after this year, I think we will lose some of our offensive creativity, even with Harbaugh.

Most are hating on him after one questionable call. More-so that playcalling was not executed at all. Personally, I believe people are just looking for excuses to not blame Kaepernick for the loss. Kaepernick, as well as Roman, are as much to blame for that loss.

That being said, I hope we can retain Roman for the 2013 season.

No, people are hating on him for idiotic play-calling on a regular basis. Throwing the ball when the run was working against Minnesota, running the ball when it wasn't working against Seattle and the Rams, not making necessary in-game adjustments, blowing out the pathetic teams and getting outcoached on the regular by good teams.
Okay, Roman might not be the best OC ever, but he's hardly as bad as everyone makes him out to be. If he leaves after this year, I think we will lose some of our offensive creativity, even with Harbaugh.

Most are hating on him after one questionable call. More-so that playcalling was not executed at all. Personally, I believe people are just looking for excuses to not blame Kaepernick for the loss. Kaepernick, as well as Roman, are as much to blame for that loss.

I've really never been a fan of his play calling, and against the Rams it was a hell of a lot more than just one call.

That said, I have no opinion about how he does the rest of his job. I don't know how much of certain things (like A. Smith's improvement) was him and how much is Harbaugh.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Yes let's completely ignore the fact that we have the #11 ranked offense overall. Time to fire the OC for sure.

Lets ignore the fact that those numbers are skewed due to the 49ers beating up on the cupcakes in their schedule and struggling mostly against actual playoff teams.

BRB....top NFL offense......scores 13 or less points in 4 games this season.
Originally posted by SkyGod:
That's just one person's opinion who happens to be completely out to lunch...

Roman - 25th in passing
Roman - 20th in 3rd down conversions

At issue is Roman called too few passing plays (the 49ers rank near bottom in pass attempts.) The offense already did better than average with YPA. No passing attempt means no yardage from passing, and that hurt the ranking.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

No, people are hating on him for idiotic play-calling on a regular basis. Throwing the ball when the run was working against Minnesota, running the ball when it wasn't working against Seattle and the Rams, not making necessary in-game adjustments, blowing out the pathetic teams and getting outcoached on the regular by good teams.

The games where I can think of the playcalling being mediocre or worse are against the Vikings, the Rams (x2) and the Giants. However, against the Seattle, we made some awesome half time adjustments with our run game. Frank was torching the Seahawks on the ground after the half. I credit Roman with sticking with the run game when it wasn't working.

However, Roman is hardly the best OC in the league. But he's not so bad. He's probably top10 though. For awhile there, our run game was unprecedented. I still feel we've got one of the best run games this league has seen in the past decade. And Roman as much as Gore get the credit behind that.

But you're absolutely right. We need to do something about these 3rd downs. 37% is not cutting it. I want to see it around 50%.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Yes let's completely ignore the fact that we have the #11 ranked offense overall. Time to fire the OC for sure.

Lets ignore the fact that those numbers are skewed due to the 49ers beating up on the cupcakes in their schedule and struggling mostly against actual playoff teams.

BRB....top NFL offense......scores 13 or less points in 4 games this season.

Should we discredit the Patriots and their offense because they play the Bills, the Jets and the Dolphins twice every season?
Interesting take on how the game plans are really devised: http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/12/inside-the-49ers/49ers-offense-not-really-greg-romans/

Third string quarterback Scott Tolzien said, "For the most part, Coach [Greg] Roman does the run game, [Wide receivers] Coach [Johnnie] Morton does the pass game and [quarterbacks] Coach [Geep] Chryst takes the red zone."

Later, Anthony Dixon confirmed Tolzien's statement for the Press Democrat, saying, "That sounds right."

So, when Harbaugh says it's "Greg Roman's offense," that does not seem to be entirely accurate. The offense is more of an amalgam. When discussing the pass game, apparently the questions should be directed at Johnnie Morton and not at Greg Roman.

This seems convoluted to me. I've always heard of assistants watching tape of the upcoming opponent and then, knowing their own personnel best (WR's, OL, RB, etc.), providing input into the overall game plan for that week but never assistants doing ALL of one part of a total game plan. I've always agreed with Gore that Roman does appear to be a genius in the run game (check his bio - it makes perfect sense) but have always questioned the overall game plan at times, and esp. the passing game and the RZ fails (BTW: have we passed INTO the EZ more than twice this year on a designed call?).

So how valuable IS Greg Roman overall knowing this (assuming its accurate)? This sounds way too compartmentalized to me and may explain the lack of "flow" and in-game and half-time adjustments. I'm assuming Roman signs off on the final game plan and reviews it with Harbaugh. And after Harbaugh signs off on it, it's them implemented on the practice field. In addition, he probable signs off on each play throughout the course of the game to.

So my question then is, how is the game plan devised and is it flexible? For instance, we continue to see plays where we clearly are running into a brick wall. The pitch back to Ginn...was that a call that was next up on the game plan but it didn't factor in the situational awareness (inside our own 15 with 4 minutes to go and with a lead)? Do they deviate from it? Have multiple plays for each snap...(rolls or kills) and if so, what types...run can be changed to pass and vice versa or both runs or both passes?

I know most great OC's have situational plays...if X then Y. If we're inside our own 20, up by 10 with 4 minutes to go then call from these plays.

This is all very significant...esp. if Roman leaves...or stays.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 7, 2012 at 1:11 PM ]
^ BUMP ^ Where are the fans at on this one? I'm very curious what you all think!
I have a few gripes with Roman, but would rather have him than any of the previous OCs we have seen lately.

The pitch was a very questionable call, but it was poorly executed as well. Had it been executed properly, I doubt it would have even done much. Jenkins was there immediately, and I bet Ginn loses yards. The questionable part is having an inexperience QB, the location they were at on the field, and playing in an away game. Remove any one of those 3 and it may have gone differently.

My main gripe the last few games has been the conservative playcalling near the ends of games. IT was especially noticeable in both Rams games.

1st Rams game - Offense was moving the ball very well with good mix of passes and runs in OT, and then we completely shutdown when we get in FG range. Akers misses the 40+ yard FG and we tie....

2nd Rams game - Same exact scenario in OT. On second drive, we go run, short pass, run, run short pass. Then Akers misses again. I knew at this point, there was no way Rams were going to tie again.
Dumbass Logic: "Oh we should be so happy with Roman because he's better than the previous OC's we had!" LMFAO

Originally posted by SkyGod:
Dumbass Logic: "Oh we should be so happy with Roman because he's better than the previous OC's we had!" LMFAO

Read post #415. Interesting eh?
  • Jiks
I agree with Roman. Plays should have been executed plain and simple. From every position. Walker catches the ball, Oline doesn't get penalized, Akers hits a FG in OT, and the QB makes three mistakes. How do you expect to win, when players do not execute? What's Roman supposed to call now? 3 runs up the gut, because his players probably won't catch a pass right in their hands, or that way his QB doesn't run backwards? Roman called plays that if properly executed we win. Players didn't. I put the blame on them.

I know many disagree, but I really don't see how I am wrong. If the players didn't mess the play calls up, we win.
Originally posted by NCommand:
^ BUMP ^ Where are the fans at on this one? I'm very curious what you all think!

What am I thinking? wow... and this ---->

You said it best here below...

This sounds way too compartmentalized to me and may explain the lack of "flow" and in-game and half-time adjustments.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

What am I thinking? wow... and this ---->

You said it best here below...

This sounds way too compartmentalized to me and may explain the lack of "flow" and in-game and half-time adjustments.

I can not BELIEVE this hasn't blown up NT today...screw the "old" QB talk. This IS the source of all our frustrations on offense in a nutshell.

It's no wonder our offense doesn't flow very well. How can you set up plays when 3 guys are calling them? This might be too much for the average fan to understand, or co-worker for that matter.

Edit: BTW I saw this yesterday and forgot to comment.
[ Edited by paperplanemedia on Dec 7, 2012 at 2:58 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone