There are 125 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Official Greg "the mad scientist" Roman Express

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by susweel:
f**k no do not want Turner he is way overrated as a OC.

That statment is so false, i dont even know what else to say. He is one of the best OC's ive ever seen. HC, not so much.

look at his offensive rankings
1991-Cowboys- PTS-10 YDS-13
1992-cowboys- PTS-2 YDS-1
1993-Cowboys- PTS -2 YDS-2
2001- Chargers PTS- 13 YDS-8
2002- Miami PTS-5 YDS-7
2003- Miami PTS-12 YDS-19
2007- Niners PTS-29 YDS-27

That I believe is every year he has been an OC. Those #'s are far from being bad. SF he was there one year, Had arguably no talent besides gore and a young QB, and look at how much beter the offense looked. The numers are deceptive when it comes to his stint ith the niners, as well as Chargers.

If you include his HC stints,

6 of his years in the league he ranked top three in rushing TD's. 9 seasons he was top ten in rushing TD's. 8 seasons a top ten rushing team in terms of yardage.

5 seasons he had a top five team in terms of Passing TD's. 11 years he had a top ten passing offense in Yards, 9 seasons a top ten team in terms of passing TD's

If you want to go net yards per attempt in the passing game, 10 seasons he had a top ten ranking. 8 of those were top five. 6 of those were top 3.

As far as rushing, he had a top ten yards per attempt team 9 seasons.

His head coaching stints have left a lot to be desired no doubt, but that is mostly because he isn't a great leader of men. But in terms of Offense, and being an OC, and running an offense to the best of its ability, there aren't many that are better in this league.

I thought Norv was here in 2006?
Originally posted by PTulini:

yes, sorry typo.
f**k no do not want Turner he is way overrated as a OC.

That statment is so false, i dont even know what else to say. He is one of the best OC's ive ever seen. HC, not so much.

look at his offensive rankings
1991-Cowboys- PTS-10 YDS-13
1992-cowboys- PTS-2 YDS-1
1993-Cowboys- PTS -2 YDS-2
2001- Chargers PTS- 13 YDS-8
2002- Miami PTS-5 YDS-7
2003- Miami PTS-12 YDS-19
2007- Niners PTS-29 YDS-27

That I believe is every year he has been an OC. Those #'s are far from being bad. SF he was there one year, Had arguably no talent besides gore and a young QB, and look at how much beter the offense looked. The numers are deceptive when it comes to his stint ith the niners, as well as Chargers.

If you include his HC stints,

6 of his years in the league he ranked top three in rushing TD's. 9 seasons he was top ten in rushing TD's. 8 seasons a top ten rushing team in terms of yardage.

5 seasons he had a top five team in terms of Passing TD's. 11 years he had a top ten passing offense in Yards, 9 seasons a top ten team in terms of passing TD's

If you want to go net yards per attempt in the passing game, 10 seasons he had a top ten ranking. 8 of those were top five. 6 of those were top 3.

As far as rushing, he had a top ten yards per attempt team 9 seasons.

His head coaching stints have left a lot to be desired no doubt, but that is mostly because he isn't a great leader of men. But in terms of Offense, and being an OC, and running an offense to the best of its ability, there aren't many that are better in this league.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/2006.htm
Although I really doubt it would happen, but what do you guys think about Reid becoming our OC if Roman leaves? I think Andy is done, I think he retires and I think Norv retires.
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Although I really doubt it would happen, but what do you guys think about Reid becoming our OC if Roman leaves? I think Andy is done, I think he retires and I think Norv retires.

If anything, I have a feeling he'll take a year off. I think his son's death had a lot to do with his struggles this season. He'll be a hot candidate to be a HC again in 2014.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/2006.htm

Yes, i already posted that it was a typo. Ya got me.

When reid leaves Philly he will be done, or look for a GM gig.

I think Norv will want to still coach. Dont think he will ever be a HC again though.
One thing I like about Norv Turner is that his offense is straightforward and rarely cute. The biggest downside is that it is also fairly predictable.

I think Andy replaces Norv as HC in San Diego personally. Change of scenery does wonders for a guy. I think Norv will be in tremendous demand as an OC and will have his pick of teams, especially those with younger quarterbacks. I think Seattle, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Dallas, Philly and other teams would take him in a heartbeat.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
One thing I like about Norv Turner is that his offense is straightforward and rarely cute. The biggest downside is that it is also fairly predictable.

That part I disagree with, watching him playcalling for the 49ers was about the only time since the late 90s that I remember this offense not being predictable, he was great at setting defenses up for big plays later on in the game, employing a lot of play action and doing really well to counter what the defense was doing on the ground, at THAT moment, even if it wasn't what he had gameplanned for during the week.

I think Norv will want to still coach. Dont think he will ever be a HC again though.

After 3 failed attempts, nobody will ever hire Norv to be a HC again. Any team that hires him is getting a long-term perma-OC.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

After 3 failed attempts, nobody will ever hire Norv to be a HC again. Any team that hires him is getting a long-term perma-OC.

yea i agree on norv. Reid im unsure of. there are teams that would want his services, but im leaning towards him looking for a GM job.
Everyone has their place in life where they excel Turner is a good OC and not a good HC.

He won't get another NFL HC offer and so i say Turner deserves strong consideration to take over from Roman who should be dumped.
Originally posted by mug0mug:
Gregg Rosenthal ranks offensive coordinators.

Guess who is at the top of the list.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000106844/article/atls-offensive-coordinator-power-rankings

That's just one person's opinion who happens to be completely out to lunch...

Roman - 25th in passing
Roman - 20th in 3rd down conversions
Originally posted by SkyGod:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Agreed. Coaches have bad days too and the playcalling against the Rams wasn't his best moment.

All these views about how we should root for him to find another job are shortsighted and knee-jerk. He's still one of the best OCs in the league.

Roman one of the best OC's in the NFL? lol

No he's not. He's got a lot of weapons and has still only produced the 25th ranked passing offense and the 20th ranked offense at converting 3rd down conversions...31st last year in case you missed it.

Cool story bro but a lot of people who know the game of football ain't buying the crap Roman apologists like u are selling.

Yes let's completely ignore the fact that we have the #11 ranked offense overall. Time to fire the OC for sure.