There are 94 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The completeness of our team

Originally posted by lordfangio:
Speaking purely statistically, it's not even close. #1 rated passing game. Significantly more rushing yards and yards per carry than any other team, #1 scoring defense (despite allowing 2 long garbage time TD drives), the best pass defense in the league, a run defense that has been simply legendary going on quite a few years now, the best kicker, the best punter, and let's just throw the best long snapper in there for good measure. It's a joke.

Too early. Way too early.
this team's big weakness is still kicking field goals instead of punching in TDs in the redzone
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Or making a defense go... As much of a guru he is supposed to be he couldn't do much with the talent he collected on defense either. I am glad he was here though he drafted Vernon, Frank, Staley, Alex, Ray Mac, T Brown, Goldson, Soap, and acquired Justin Smith

Oddly, I though Singletary would be able to improve the D but I knew he was not ready to be a HC...just no background in coaching to speak of. Compare his resume with JH's and there is an obvious gulf between the two. There was no job too small for Harbaugh to immerse himself.
Good post.

Is there any team with as creative play calling as we are?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Oddly, I though Singletary would be able to improve the D but I knew he was not ready to be a HC...just no background in coaching to speak of. Compare his resume with JH's and there is an obvious gulf between the two. There was no job too small for Harbaugh to immerse himself.

Its almost unbelievable that the Yorks hired Singletary before interviewing anyone else after they made the biggest FO blunder in franchise history by making Mike Nolan the GM and head coach when he had absolutely no experience in either. At least Jed has righted the ship
This is a pretty good team, but we have more to show before we can seriously entertain this discussion. Many great 49ers teams have already been mentioned. In order to enter the discussion, we at least have to show our muscle against some of the powerhouse teams of 2012 and return to the NFC Championship game.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This is a pretty good team, but we have more to show before we can seriously entertain this discussion. Many great 49ers teams have already been mentioned. In order to enter the discussion, we at least have to show our muscle against some of the powerhouse teams of 2012 and return to the NFC Championship game.

Many people want Smith to prove himself by winning a SB but Harbaugh also needs to prove himself in that regard. Not everyone remains level headed and is able to be calm in a championship run. Some of the cute calls made in the NYG game last year may have lacked judgement as it was wet.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Many people want Smith to prove himself by winning a SB but Harbaugh also needs to prove himself in that regard. Not everyone remains level headed and is able to be calm in a championship run. Some of the cute calls made in the NYG game last year may have lacked judgement as it was wet.

Maybe you should go tell Harbaugh what its like to play on a wet NFL field
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good post.

Is there any team with as creative play calling as we are?
The Walsh offenses in the early to mid '80s just drove defenses nuts. He was so far ahead of his time that defenses just never caught up. Harbaugh is good but I wouldn't say he is that far ahead of the defenses.

The one area where this team is definitely inferior to the 84, 87 and 94 teams is in pass receivers. Vernon Davis could be in the conversation but he still does not do the basic things the Walsh offense required in pressure situations. As to WRs, well...let's just say that Michael Crabtree would be filling the Kyle Williams role on those other teams.

This is probably the best overall defense I have seen. Certainly the best front 7, however the Lott, Wright, Hicks and Williamson secondary was the best overall this team has had. Deion was a big flash but Lott and Wright were very close in their prime and both were far better tacklers than the Neon Man.
[ Edited by dj43 on Oct 13, 2012 at 4:40 PM ]



Hawkeye approves this subject.
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Maybe you should go tell Harbaugh what its like to play on a wet NFL field

I'm sure he would want my opinion but I never work for league minimum and Baalke won't budge!
Originally posted by dj43:
The Walsh offenses in the early to mid '80s just drove defenses nuts. He was so far ahead of his time that defenses just never caught up. Harbaugh is good but I wouldn't say he is that far ahead of the defenses.

The one area where this team is definitely inferior to the 84, 87 and 94 teams is in pass receivers. Vernon Davis could be in the conversation but he still does not do the basic things the Walsh offense required in pressure situations. As to WRs, well...let's just say that Michael Crabtree would be filling the Kyle Williams role on those other teams.

This is probably the best overall defense I have seen. Certainly the best front 7, however the Lott, Wright, Hicks and Williamson secondary was the best overall this team has had. Deion was a big flash but Lott and Wright were very close in their prime and both were far better tacklers than the Neon Man.

Eric Wright was nowhere near the player Sanders was in their respective primes, an argument can be made that Deion was the best player in the entire NFL at one time. The secondary from the 94 team was about as shut down as it gets as much as I love the 84 defense
[ Edited by DirtyP on Oct 13, 2012 at 5:24 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
87-89 was very balanced and a powerhouse but they built it over a seven year period and it wasn't a surprise. This team went from outhouse to penthouse in a year...which shows how significant coaching is. Nolan gets credit for bringing in some excellent players and getting rid of troubled players but couldn't developed the offense. Under Singletary even the D seemed to falter.

This coaching staff seems to be equal to the 87-89 guys, though we won't know this for sure until they win a Super Bowl. How they come out in big games will be the difference and Walsh rarely was out-schemed in big games.

The power running game is a bit better now and the passing was better then. Defenses seem pretty even...though this is the better LB group versus a bigger named secondary then.

I agree. Those 87-89 teams were stacked top to bottom. It was basically the core of the superstars from 81and 84, plus Jerry Rice and the epic 1986 draft class which is still considered to be one of the best NFL drafts ever by a single team.
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by dj43:
The Walsh offenses in the early to mid '80s just drove defenses nuts. He was so far ahead of his time that defenses just never caught up. Harbaugh is good but I wouldn't say he is that far ahead of the defenses.

The one area where this team is definitely inferior to the 84, 87 and 94 teams is in pass receivers. Vernon Davis could be in the conversation but he still does not do the basic things the Walsh offense required in pressure situations. As to WRs, well...let's just say that Michael Crabtree would be filling the Kyle Williams role on those other teams.

This is probably the best overall defense I have seen. Certainly the best front 7, however the Lott, Wright, Hicks and Williamson secondary was the best overall this team has had. Deion was a big flash but Lott and Wright were very close in their prime and both were far better tacklers than the Neon Man.

Eric Wright was nowhere near the player Sanders was in their respective primes, an argument can be made that Deion was the best player in the entire NFL at one time. The secondary from the 94 team was about as shut down as it gets as much as I love the 84 defense

Unless you're talking about hitting someone...then he would be compared to ballerinas! But returns and sticking to a receiver like glue...I agree, haven't ever seen anyone cover as well. But don't knock Wright...he was really good!
Originally posted by RabidNiner:
Niners 83-84...Just saying


That team didn't have as good a special teams as we had last year. But that team was so good at everything else that special teams didn't matter