LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

The completeness of our team

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by goldstandard333:
Originally posted by RabidNiner:
Niners 83-84...Just saying

Possibly the most complete team of the salary cap era.

Have to say, 87-89 seems more complete and balanced to me. Although they were both very fine teams.
Originally posted by RabidNiner:
Niners 83-84...Just saying

They demolished the Dan Marino Dolphins in the Super Bowl. The Dolphins were 14-2 and Marino threw 48 touchdown passes in the regular season. The 84 and 89 teams rank among the Greatest of All-Time. During the Medieval Times of Erickson-Nolan-Singletary era I'd put on the 2nd quarter of the 84 Super Bowl and be in awe.
Just because some of those teams won Super Bowls doesn't make them more COMPLETE. No Super Bowl winning Niner team had an overall running game even close to as good as ours is now. Nor as good a defense, nor as good a kicker, nor as good a punter.
87-89 was very balanced and a powerhouse but they built it over a seven year period and it wasn't a surprise. This team went from outhouse to penthouse in a year...which shows how significant coaching is. Nolan gets credit for bringing in some excellent players and getting rid of troubled players but couldn't developed the offense. Under Singletary even the D seemed to falter.

This coaching staff seems to be equal to the 87-89 guys, though we won't know this for sure until they win a Super Bowl. How they come out in big games will be the difference and Walsh rarely was out-schemed in big games.

The power running game is a bit better now and the passing was better then. Defenses seem pretty even...though this is the better LB group versus a bigger named secondary then.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 13, 2012 at 8:52 AM ]
I would say our 2004-05 team was pretty balanced. We sucked evenly at everything.
Don't start sucking this team off yet. They did get there asses kicked by the Vikings. That is about the only good team they have played. The lions and packers aren't who they were last year. Its a good thing to beat the teams your supposed to but they need to show up in the big games.
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
Don't start sucking this team off yet. They did get there asses kicked by the Vikings. That is about the only good team they have played. The lions and packers aren't who they were last year. Its a good thing to beat the teams your supposed to but they need to show up in the big games.

THISx100
Originally posted by wolfpack52:

Just an example of a team not quite good enough to win when they are lackluster. Minn wasn't well regarded, or was at least under estimated, and the niners did not seem fired up to play them. Happens in the course of the year.

One thing the Minn game exposed is the lack of a pass rush this year. They seem a step slow in getting to the QB.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Special team coverage. Brad Seely needs to fix that ASAP.

This.
This team is good. But the stats arent to be trusted after the NYJ and BUF games.

Originally posted by marshniners24:
And people said losing Costanzo and Colin Jones wouldn't hurt. SMH

I hold my breath every time we punt or kick-off. The coverage unit is as bad as any other unit in the league.
We are one elite receiver away from being a good team....
Im pretty young (only 21) soo i didnt understand the details of football until I was 15. But I have never seen a team have a front seven and front 5 like this. It
They bully people
Lol the most complete team of all time now? Lets see them win a Super Bowl first. Right now this team has nothing on the 88 49ers
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
87-89 was very balanced and a powerhouse but they built it over a seven year period and it wasn't a surprise. This team went from outhouse to penthouse in a year...which shows how significant coaching is. Nolan gets credit for bringing in some excellent players and getting rid of troubled players but couldn't developed the offense. Under Singletary even the D seemed to falter.

This coaching staff seems to be equal to the 87-89 guys, though we won't know this for sure until they win a Super Bowl. How they come out in big games will be the difference and Walsh rarely was out-schemed in big games.

The power running game is a bit better now and the passing was better then. Defenses seem pretty even...though this is the better LB group versus a bigger named secondary then.

This team has been being built since 2005, which is 7 years
Share 49ersWebzone