There are 70 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The completeness of our team

I was just thinking about it, and I highly doubt any team in history has ever had as complete a team at any point in a season after the first at least 5 games than where we stand right now. Highest rated passing game, by far the best running game (77 more total rushing yards and nearly a full yard per carry more than any other team), and the #1 scoring defense and yards per pass attempt allowed despite allowing 2 garbage time TD drives. Oh, and our run defense is OK too. Plus we got the clear-cut best kicker, punter, as well as long snapper. Kinda overwhelming if you think about it...it's almost goofy.
Agreed. I'd have to say, this is the most balanced team I've ever seen.

- Highly efficient quarterback play.
- Power running game.
- Versatile offense that can run power and spread out the defense with the pass. (Perfectionists say we still need to get better at the passing game though.)
- Highly disruptive defense that can stop the run, rush the passer, tackle the football, and force turnovers.
- One of the more consistent place-kickers, and arguably the best punter in the league.
- Excellent and steady return man.
- Coaching staff that is creative, can motivate, can gameplan, instills discipline, and makes great game decisions.
- Close-knit locker room where the players play for each other.

There's very very few chinks in our armor. I want to say that the only things we can't do is pass +60% of the time (who in their right mind would?) consistently, and our coverage units have been shaky this year.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Agreed. I'd have to say, this is the most balanced team I've ever seen.

- Highly efficient quarterback play.
- Power running game.
- Versatile offense that can run power and spread out the defense with the pass. (Perfectionists say we still need to get better at the passing game though.)
- Highly disruptive defense that can stop the run, rush the passer, tackle the football, and force turnovers.
- One of the more consistent place-kickers, and arguably the best punter in the league.
- Excellent and steady return man.
- Coaching staff that is creative, can motivate, can gameplan, instills discipline, and makes great game decisions.
- Close-knit locker room where the players play for each other.

There's very very few chinks in our armor. I want to say that the only things we can't do is pass +60% of the time (who in their right mind would?) consistently, and our coverage units have been shaky this year.

I'd say Akers is more than just consistent. He's spectacular. So many 50+ yard FG's and he has one of only two all-time non-altitude aided 63 yard kicks. Wouldn't trade him for any other kicker....well, except maybe that kid in St. Louis especially because he's also way younger, though he does have the advantage of kicking in a dome whereas Akers does it in the swirling winds of the Stick which makes what he does even more impressive.
Niners 83-84...Just saying
Special team coverage. Brad Seely needs to fix that ASAP.
Originally posted by RabidNiner:
Niners 83-84...Just saying

Possibly the most complete team of the salary cap era.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,814
I am not 100% convinced on our passing game yet, but a few more games like the Bills will win me over. I do remember the passing game not getting it done against the Vikings. But we are still a phenomenally balanced team. The Steve Young SB team is probably our best team, although special teams was much weaker than this team. But I can see this team surpassing that team, if our passing game can take it to the next level.
I'll say this; I can't speak on the 80's teams because I was born in 84. In 94, I understood the basic concepts of football bout I could not judge a team from top to bottom. So all I can say is in my adult life hood this is OBVIOUSLY the most complete 49ers team I can remember. As far as the whole NFL is concerned I honestly can't remember a team this scary where you had to worry about the defense and offense respectively punching you in the mouth and not looking back.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,814
The amazing thing about the Steve Young SB team (94 I think) was that if they scored only a Field Goal, it was surprising. You really expected them to score a TD on every drive. Defensively, I think they had Deion on that team, but I think this defense is still much superior to that team.
This team is very complete from top to bottom and has depth. An offense that has stepped it up this year. Teams now have more to worry about and not just our defense. Though I would like to have seen the defense shutdown the Vikings offense, although we did shudtown Adrian Peterson holding him below 100 yards and zero TDs. Keeping AP out of the endzone 3 times i a row which would lead to the Vikings going for it on 4th down and Ponder throwing a TD pass with Goldson in his face.
I was hearing that the Eagles may cut Nnamdi because he is aging and his contract is so big. Now that running to a supposed winner has bit him in the arse, do you think Nnamdi comes back home and plays for us on a discount for a chance to win a Super Bowl? I know he isn't the shut down corner that he once was but I think he easily has 5-6 good years left in him (comparing to Champ Bailey). That would allow us to do so much more defensively. I think if we can't work a deal with Goldson and he ends up going else where, why not spend half of what it would it take to get Goldson back and take a shot at Nnamdi? I'm up late and slightly tipsy and kind of rambling so I know this may be foolish but tell me what you think fellas. Am I way off course?
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Special team coverage. Brad Seely needs to fix that ASAP.

And people said losing Costanzo and Colin Jones wouldn't hurt. SMH
On other sites and facebook, people try to troll me about the Vikings loss (4-1 team might I add) but then on the same hand say "oh who cares that you beat the packers and lions, they suck this year". -_- it's lonely at the top.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
On other sites and facebook, people try to troll me about the Vikings loss (4-1 team might I add) but then on the same hand say "oh who cares that you beat the packers and lions, they suck this year". -_- it's lonely at the top.

That Vikings loss still stings, but others look at it as a wake up call and this team can't just expect a win over lesser teams.
This team was pretty good too:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/team?seasonId=1987&seasonType=&Submit=Go

Too bad it didn't end the way it should have.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home