There are 177 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Vote Smith for Fedex Air player of the week

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Great Post Ol...er...Mac! Compare Smith's three interception game, where the entire team played poorly and NY was in control the whole day, with River's three interceptions turning an almost sure win into a loss. Romo? Same thing. And all QBs have "bad" days but most bad days include other players failing to support. VD mentioned this after the NYG game, that he felt bad he and others made mistakes that let Smith down.

But we know many on this board have an agenda that is more important than wins and losses. 5-2 and on our way to the playoffs!

... and Rivers also had a fumble that was returned for a TD (pretty sure) last week.

Alex's NYG game was killer with those TWO 3rd quarter INTs, but even the detractors have to admit that such killer INTs have been rare from Alex over the last 30+ games.

.. and you USED the smiley!!!! Love it! Enjoying my coffee right now, as it happens.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
... and Rivers also had a fumble that was returned for a TD (pretty sure) last week.

Alex's NYG game was killer with those TWO 3rd quarter INTs, but even the detractors have to admit that such killer INTs have been rare from Alex over the last 30+ games.

.. and you USED the smiley!!!! Love it! Enjoying my coffee right now, as it happens.

Finally figure out how to save and upload! LOL...I have some knowledge of computers but my brain is hopelessly analog...or is it nonalog!

Yes, Smith's three picks were very disappointing to me but then I started wondering how many pick sixes Smith has thrown versus other QBs? Just curious because, as you have said, he tends not to make disastrous decisions . Enjoying mine as well!

Thanks again for the smiley!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 20, 2012 at 8:22 AM ]
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
The difference with those guys and Alex is their passer rating comes from making real NFL throws and they are asked to be the focal point of the offense against other good teams. Alex's passer rating is based on simple reads and GRows play design. He's horrible (yes, horrible) when asked to execute without using a simple script. His completions are elementry school style.

Alex Smith has the #1 ranked defense. The number 1 ranked running game and plays against 8 and 9 man fronts. Yet, he still cant put up TDs against very solid defenses. He was absolute crap vs the Jets, Giants and Hawks.

In the words of Justin Smith: Stats are for losers. And before you go on to quote our TEAM record, answer this question: Is Smith WINNING his battle at QB? Is he scoring TDs and moving the chains? I'd say no. Luckily for him, the other pieces of the TEAM are playing at a high level.

don't think I care for your hostile attitude.. so I will answer nothing from such posts as this. It is a post like yours that lessens the WZ. All I will say is that if Alex was even remotely as horrible as you'd like to think he is? Then we must have a horrible HC/OC, and backup QB that can't replace Alex.

For the record, I felt zero hostility when posting. For me its just a matter of fact. I'm sorry you feel my presence on the Zone "lessens" the WZ experience (personal attack, btw- Mods he should be warned, right?).

Again, to clarify my use of the word "horrible." He is horrible in an offense with multiple reads and when protection isn't great. He's very good when the play design works and the defense that he reads pre-snap is the defense he sees post snap. But I stand by my use of the word in the context I explained.
Originally posted by ninermedic:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
The difference with those guys and Alex is their passer rating comes from making real NFL throws and they are asked to be the focal point of the offense against other good teams. Alex's passer rating is based on simple reads and GRows play design. He's horrible (yes, horrible) when asked to execute without using a simple script. His completions are elementry school style.

Alex Smith has the #1 ranked defense. The number 1 ranked running game and plays against 8 and 9 man fronts. Yet, he still cant put up TDs against very solid defenses. He was absolute crap vs the Jets, Giants and Hawks.

In the words of Justin Smith: Stats are for losers. And before you go on to quote our TEAM record, answer this question: Is Smith WINNING his battle at QB? Is he scoring TDs and moving the chains? I'd say no. Luckily for him, the other pieces of the TEAM are playing at a high level.

Agree with you in principle but not in degree. Alex does seem to need to be protected within the system because he's indecisive, gets tunnel vision when the play breaks down, won't put the ball up and let his receivers make a play on it. But even so he's not THAT bad. Top tier, elite? Probably not, probably never. But like you said, this team has the #1 defense, and the rest of the team is playing at a high level.

FOR THE MOST PART he delivers what we need and whole not stellar he is far from being in that Rex Grossman tier of QBs. Where he is, it's a long and difficult jump to that next level and the guys at that next level are rarely available.

Like I said to Oldman. I didn't say he was "horrible," I said he is horrible at somethings. Overall, I've recently come to the conclusion that he's a paper tiger QB. I like Alex personally, he seems like a great guy, but I think all things being equal he is in the bottom half of Qbs (maybe 16th or so).
I agree Alex is good working with a running game, but not when he has to carry the team like a gun slinger. Maybe some of the int's were influenced by his sprained finger, but some were poor decisions trying to force it. This is not a good combo when you are down and need to throw the ball like the Giants game.
Smith has had two of his lowest QBR games since injuring his finger...and is still listed at #8 among QBs. His game against Buff was quite extraordinary! Just for comparision, here are some other QB performances against Buffalo this year.

QBR against Buffalo:

Smith: 156
Sanchez: 123
Brady: 120
Cassel: 83 (remember how good he was compared to our QB)
Weeden: 65
Kolb: 64 (remember how good he was compared to our QB)

The good news is that the team can beat Seattle when Smith has an off game...bad news is they get trounced by NYG when he has a bad game. Good news is his finger should mend soon. Bad news is the schedule isn't getting easier.

Good news is the team being 5-2 and have been working in all the receivers except Jenkins and it's good to be a niner fan!
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home