There are 115 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Loyalty Discount Players

Getting the entire defense back this year was a tremendous stroke of luck for the team. Yet, it did require using the franchise tag on Goldson in order to make it happen. The team is strapped with cap space and several of the players integral to success are going to be up for new contracts within the next year or two.

My question is, what players do you think will take the money and run and which ones may be willing to stay at less than market value to "keep the band together".

Goldson, I totally see running off to the highest bidder and I don't fault him for that. But a guy like Bowman, who has grown very close to Willis so much that they are involved with one another's families, I could see cutting a deal.
This will be the key to holding this team together. Too many guys on defense that are top 10 at their position. Goldson seems like a candidate. Hopefully he will go the Carlos Rogers route and give a discount.
I don't think any guy will take less than market. And they shouldn't.
I think all these guys would give the hometown discount. All these guys love playing for Harbaugh.
Originally posted by sacniner:
I don't think any guy will take less than market. And they shouldn't.

Not if their agent is doing his job anyway.

I will say this though. Look at the Redskins and the Albert Haynesworth experience. Guy got paid and went to a team that didn't run his style of defense and now his career is sh!t.

More close to home, Nate Clements got big money and just never jived in the new location. I'm sure he doesn't regret the money but years of mediocre play meant he got walking papers and turned out to be a bargain for the Bengals. There's something to be said about trading success for money and honestly, I think you subtract any of these players and sub them in on another squad and they don't have near the impact they do on this unit that's playing so well together.
[ Edited by jesserdumas2 on Oct 8, 2012 at 4:14 PM ]
with Goldson...his decision might have to be..

be rich and be with the team that drafted him and is loaded everywhere and ready to win multible superbowls?

or be little more rich and be with a team where he might be needed to do much more...and might get injured trying to do too much to make up for lack of talent with his new secondary.

however, the Ravens might be willing to out bid us when they are ready to move on from Ed Reed...or the Steelers are ready to move on from injury bugged Troy P.

then that might change things.
Maybe Bowman might sacrifice some money to stay
Originally posted by Afrikan:
with Goldson...his decision might have to be..

be rich and be with the team that drafted him and is loaded everywhere and ready to win multible superbowls?

or be little more rich and be with a team where he might be needed to do much more...and might get injured trying to do too much to make up for lack of talent with his new secondary.

however, the Ravens might be willing to out bid us when they are ready to move on from Ed Reed...or the Steelers are ready to move on from injury bugged Troy P.

then that might change things.

1 name needs to be used to illustrate that, Mario Williams.
I'm thinking Soap and Bowman will sacrifice.

On the other hand, I think Ginn, Moss and Haralson are going to giv eup some cap space.
The only guys who play for less are the ones with unfinished business, or the ones who feel comfortable with how much they have already made. After that, it's all about making every last dollar you can for you and yours, because you never know if the next snap might be your last.

Everyone associated with the league understands that. Most fans do too, or at least they should.
Bowman will stay, I almost guarantee it

He and Willis are far too close

I can see Goldson bouncing, I really hope we resign him though. He's been awesome and he's homegrown talent (i.e. we drafted him)
Sopoaga. Polynesians are some loyal mf's
Some of these guys might not play nearly as well elsewhere. The 9ers are loaded with great coaches and the players should be able to recognize this. That said, if someone has a chance to really set themselves up for life...they owe it to themselves to jump on it. Was just listening to a player talking about the NFL taking years off their lives...so they know what they're in for in retirement.
If they get rings this season then they all cash out for the highest bidder. Guys who will retire here for sure are Gore, Willis, Alex Smith, Vernon Davis. Those guys wont go anywhere but wont be discount. Other then that if they get rings I bet any of our guys has their price.
Originally posted by BayArea:
If they get rings this season then they all cash out for the highest bidder. Guys who will retire here for sure are Gore, Willis, Alex Smith, Vernon Davis. Those guys wont go anywhere but wont be discount. Other then that if they get rings I bet any of our guys has their price.

Not many will cash out....Goodwin really didnt.