LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 165 users in the forums

Week 5: Thoughts after rewatching the game (twice) ;-)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
OK, only things I can think of to work on after this whoop'n are:
1. Roman...please, please no more kicking FG's at the 1 yard line after three straight unsuccessful runs (you get the idea)
2. Staying with that, have we EVER gotten a 3rd and short first down via run? LOL
3. Whitner still struggling in coverage and Brown/Rogers continue to play way off and give up EASY catches and then I see them often times two-hand touch their responsibility (vs. tackling them or trying to jar the ball loose). Its one thing to play 15 yards off your man and another to shy away from even trying to tackle them. DO SOMETHING! Annoys the crap out of me...
4. Harbaugh, after we scored again, give Kaep almost an entire quarter to play QB; stop with the running-crap. I wanna see this guy call and play, read a defense, make a pre snap read and actually throw a pass!
5. Horrendous penalties. Man, those were killlers!
6. Ginn looks tentative and slow esp with that first step.

PS: Had to find something here. On a side note, MONSTER props to Sopoaga coming back and playing amazing after that brutal looking knee injury and no dropped passes, extra kudos in the pass protection game, Gore/Hunter are unstoppable and nice to see WIlliams get some balls his way.

I think Colin will get to play when Harbaugh thinks he is ready to play.
Great Post!

Comment #5 - After the Championship game I was one of the Zoners that wanted him gone ASAP. Funny how hard work and determination can change one's perspective. Kyle Williams has heart.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
And my last thought is this... Walker has become a great blocking TE. I'm starting to think IF Walker will take a small enough deal that we could keep him and make him the #3/blocking TE and go out and get a tall pass catching Gronz/Graham style #2 TE. Doesn't have to be 1st or 2nd round... just somewhere in the draft. Might be too much tied up into the TE spot though. Walker probably wouldn't want to be #3 and he might want to much but think of the extra possibilities with VD, Tall Pass Catching TE and receiving threat/great blocker Walker. Of course the #2 guy would have to be able to block a bit as well. Can't give away our tell by throwing it every time he is in there.

For me with Walker? Yes, he has for the most part been hitting some good blocks for the run game.

Now that said, I still find him to be easily replaceable in the offseason. His blocks are solid, but not at all special. He's not mowing guys down.. he's just smart in knowing who to block and getting just enough of a pop on someone to help spring the RBs.

So really, we just need to draft or sign a smart, young TE that can learn his role and develop it further. DWalker is a FA, and unless he is willing to play for peanuts, I wouldn't want us really considering him back. (maybe if he catches fire down the stretch and starts catching everything)

I think it's about time to move on and develop a youngling. Both Walker and VD will be 29 yrs old next season.
Walker is "invaluable" in the run game. If they can resign Walker for a modest deal Im all for it!
I'd like to see Walker become a big factor this Sunday like he was against the Giants last year.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Wish Aldon got a sack to hit the record....seems a bit hot and cold right now.

1st part sucks, but I am not worried about the second part. Fitzpatrick gets the ball out REALLY fast, mostly because he doesn't care where it goes once he lets go of it.
I've always defended Walker but if he continues to drop passes the team can't afford him...at any price. Blocking TEs are easier to find than good receiving TEs. JH likes him because he knows the system really well and can play from all over the field but even he must be wondering. Five games and he is 4 catches on 10 targets, for 39 yards. That is really quite bad, even though they are concentrating on WRs. Most of those targets were in his hands.
Originally posted by barako:
Originally posted by English:
Special teams is a concern. Aside from that, life is good!

+1

The coverage team is so close to allowing a TD. It seems like the lost of Blake Costanzo is hurting us...

This is starting to scare me. Last year Our coverage team was the best in the league.

This year it seems as if we are always close to giving up a huge play.

I didn't think the loss of Colin Jones and Blake Costanzo would hurt this much but our coverage unit isn't even close to what it was last year.
Originally posted by KegBert:
This is starting to scare me. Last year Our coverage team was the best in the league.

I didn't think the loss of Colin Jones and Blake Costanzo would hurt this much but our coverage unit isn't even close to what it was last year.

Jets, GB, and Minn are all top 14 KR teams; Buff, Minn, Jets and GB are all top eleven PR teams and Det is #16. After five games it seems they are successful against other teams as well. SF is also fairly high in those categories...without Ginn for most games.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by KegBert:

Jets, GB, and Minn are all top 14 KR teams; Buff, Minn, Jets and GB are all top eleven PR teams and Det is #16. After five games it seems they are successful against other teams as well. SF is also fairly high in those categories...without Ginn for most games.

I don't have numbers on the return teams we faced last year but I would assume we probably faced some pretty good KR's. I know we played PP twice and he's no slouch.

We shut teams return games down last year, this year not so much. I'm not saying it's the end of the world. Just pointing out that the coverage units aren't continuing there stellar play from last year.

With our offense and defense having improved since last year though, our ST's doesn't have to be perfect.

Ther truly scary thing is it could easily have exceeded 700 yds (!) if not for those very costly penalties. Who woulda thunk it?
Alex Smith, Frank Gore powering 49ers' dynamic offensive attack
Anyone know where I can get a video of the game? My friends & I were on TV but can't seem to find the clip anywhere. Thanks!
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Great article
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Great article

If they think we are a conventional offense-- they are wrong. We throw multiple formations and multiple personnel at them to make their heads spin. Then hit 'em with brute force until they don't want no mo. Oh yeah -- almost forgot -- that's Alex Smith throwing a TD behind their mauled defensive fronts
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Oct 9, 2012 at 7:42 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone