LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 400 users in the forums

Penalties

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Gotta keep chasing that perfect game, or as near as possible to it.
Originally posted by ace49ers:
Gotta keep chasing that perfect game, or as near as possible to it.

Cue the litany of Harbaugh cliche's right here...............

"Let's move on with humble hearts and find a way to get 1% better every day."
"There is still magic left in the Niners franchise and we showed that today."
"Who's got it better than us.............."
need to fix this ASAP
Originally posted by jreff22:
need to fix this ASAP

yep. killed us last night.

I am sure all of the offsides were b/c w were chomping at the bit to molest their like and kill Skelton, but still.
[ Edited by notsoempty86 on Oct 30, 2012 at 10:10 AM ]
Have been KILLING our drives and momentum all year long...and they always seem to be critical ones too.
Usually penalties early in the game lately also. When you need the early success to take control of the game.
Originally posted by notsoempty86:
yep. killed us last night.

I am sure all of the offsides were b/c w were chomping at the bit to molest their like and kill Skelton, but still.

Yeah, I didn't care about Brooks/Aldon jumping off; game was already in hand and they were trying to pad stats. LOL. Seriously...
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Woulda scored on the first drive, but we got a penalty. Our O isn't good enough to recover from penalties against top D's, so it is an issue. It didn't hurt us b/c it was the Cards and they were never gonna score against us anyway, but we still need to get that rectified.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Have been KILLING our drives and momentum all year long...and they always seem to be critical ones too.

exactly

Jim needs to get to work
Following up: Raye was the 49ers' coordinator under former coach Mike Singletary. The 49ers are tied with Seattle for most delay penalties this season. The Seahawks have cut down on those penalties recently. The 49ers have suffered a recent spike. Smith entered the NFL in 2005. His 28 career penalties for delay are the third-highest total since 2005. He ranks second only to Carson Palmer if we eliminate from consideration the 2008 season, which Smith missed entirely (Palmer missed all but four games that year). Those cumulative stats "favor" quarterbacks with staying power. All the players listed have been starters regularly since 2005. Others might have committed more penalties per game. Also, quarterbacks aren't solely to blame for all delay penalties. The fact that Smith ranks so high on the list does make this a legitimate subject to pursue, however.

2005-2012 Delay Penalties by Player

Rank QB Penalties
  • 1 Philip Rivers 34
  • 2 Carson Palmer 32
  • 3 Alex Smith 28
  • 3 Eli Manning 28
  • 5 Drew Brees 20

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/80430/49ers-should-read-this-item-without-delay

Seems like most of our real bad penalties come from our O-line.

A lot of these false starts and holding penalties are killing some good drives.

Overall though our line is kicking butt. Just need to clean up those penalties.
exactly

Jim needs to get to work

Yep, we aren't a team that can usually recover from 1st and 20 or 2nd and 15. We aren't meant to be in those situations. False starts are bad enough but the 15 yard penalties or even holds (haven't been too many of them) those will kill our drives and it's usually when we are rolling along. I'm surprised we aren't a little more disciplined with that. We are doing much better with the holds than last year... offense has been pretty good with the false starts compared to last year but still has those bad games where it seems to come in clusters... thought ahmad had the offsides bug fixed but that came back in the last game. Man was he bad for the past few years... We are doing really well with PI on defense, we have too many personal fouls though... too many delay of game.

As for delay of games... it would be intersting to see how many we had with turner compard to guys like jimmy raye. I think a big part of that was the communication and then I'm glad we finally put a wrist band on him, that helped. We still do it under harbaugh though... not nearly as much. One point I heard people mention that is totally legit is we don't really line up until late and we like to shift and eat the play clock because it slows the game down, gives our defense more of a rest and doesn't give the defense time to study our formation as much when you are lining up late and/or shifting. Some of the more hurry up (well, not hurry up but quicker) offenses come out with 20 or so. I think we are more of a come out at 15 or so, set, adjust, snap the ball under 10... we go down to 2 or so a bunch as well. Some teams it's come out, setup, go with 15, 20 left on the clock... they don't worry about slowing the games up.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Nov 3, 2012 at 4:26 PM ]
Drive Killing penalties!!! I'm tired of seeing them week end and week out. It's soo hard to sustain drives and momentum we have a bonehead play or two or three! every game. We could have whooped up on the Saints more if it hadn't been for penalties!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

of course this is the truth. they kill our drives and they extend drives for the other team.. sure i love our team but come on,, you guys have to see this is a problem and it goes alot deeper than,,"the refs are picking on us". we have to get this under control
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lordfangio:
Anybody know where we rank in the league? Week after week we get some stupid calls and some obviously warranted. But I dont remember this being a problem last year? Still not a complete game until we get this crap under control!!

You'll never be satisfied will you? If our game today was not a complete game than there has never been a complete game in the history of organized sports. What's wrong with you man, why can't you just sit back and enjoy an obliteration? So annoying how unless we win infiniti to negative infiniti, you'll be here b***hing
if you can not see this is a problem area ,, despite our record,, you are just whistlling past the end zone my friend
Share 49ersWebzone