There are 205 users in the forums

O-line: All 5 starters grade out in top 5 at their position, Boon and davis ranked 2nd

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Still regardless of the rankings, our ol is still above average at best at pass protection. I know sometimes our Wrs don't get open and Alex may take a sack or two but overall the pass protection can and better improve come playoff time or else no Super Bowl
Stats are stats.

We are a work in progress as far as the passing game goes but SUPERBAD in the run game.

Before the payoffs our pass protection will be much better
I swear, if this thread turns into an A Smith Thread, I'm banning someone.

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Stats are stats.

We are a work in progress as far as the passing game goes but SUPERBAD in the run game.

Before the payoffs our pass protection will be much better

Hey now... we are NOT the Saints! Shame on you!
Let's see, just about a week ago I gave a shout out to the OL with the thread: OL rocks...and rolls. I guess some other folks caught up with that sentiment. Good for them, but they could have just checked out our WZ and gotten the same answer.
Props to the OLine, for the tremendous job they're doing! they deserve the recognition.
Interesting. Football Outsiders has us ranked as the number 1 Running team and the number 29 pass protection team...

I'd love to see how they break down their analysis at PFF. I found this paragraph interesting and also perplexing:

After getting gashed on the ground last week against New England, the Bills face another difficult task in slowing the 49ers' power running attack. San Francisco has averaged 5.5 yards per carry this season as the offensive line has been dominant and running backs Frank Gore and Kendall Hunter have taken advantage of their work. The biggest improvement up front has been at right guard where Alex Boone has replaced last year's tandem of Adam Snyder and Chilo Rachal. The highest-graded 49ers lineman (+9.3), Boone has taken advantage of the first extended playing time of his career. The rest of the line has been fantastic as well, as all five starters are grading in the green and as a group they rank fifth in the league with a Pass Blocking Efficiency of 86.3. They've given up only five sacks , all charged to left tackle Joe Staley, so it's been a solid team effort up front for the 49ers.
I wonder how they are interpreting sacks? I'm guessing maybe sacks where there are no blitzes? Because, as we know the Niners have given up more than that. Does anyone have a link to how they determine their ratings?
Originally posted by kidash98:

THIS^^ had me rolling at work....hahahaha

whats wrong with Aldon?
Originally posted by jreff22:

whats wrong with Aldon?

Boone has solidified the left side, Anthony Davis? the sky is the limit. Iupati-road grader, Staley steady,and Goodwin no complaints. Looks like one of the best in the business. Scary fact for the rest of the league, they have only scratched the surface of how good they can become.
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Interesting. Football Outsiders has us ranked as the number 1 Running team and the number 29 pass protection team...

I'd love to see how they break down their analysis at PFF. I found this paragraph interesting and also perplexing:

After getting gashed on the ground last week against New England, the Bills face another difficult task in slowing the 49ers' power running attack. San Francisco has averaged 5.5 yards per carry this season as the offensive line has been dominant and running backs Frank Gore and Kendall Hunter have taken advantage of their work. The biggest improvement up front has been at right guard where Alex Boone has replaced last year's tandem of Adam Snyder and Chilo Rachal. The highest-graded 49ers lineman (+9.3), Boone has taken advantage of the first extended playing time of his career. The rest of the line has been fantastic as well, as all five starters are grading in the green and as a group they rank fifth in the league with a Pass Blocking Efficiency of 86.3. They've given up only five sacks , all charged to left tackle Joe Staley, so it's been a solid team effort up front for the 49ers.
I wonder how they are interpreting sacks? I'm guessing maybe sacks where there are no blitzes? Because, as we know the Niners have given up more than that. Does anyone have a link to how they determine their ratings?

Maybe they don't count sacks where the QB held the ball for a long time or ones where the QB stupidly ran directly at a defender for no apparent reason or ones where the QB somehow tripped himself? Can't really blame the O-line for those ones and that accounts for at least half our sacks if not more.
That's exactly it. They watch the game film and determine who is responsible for a QB hurry or sack. The O-line has only given up 5. The rest have been Smith or a TE or a RB.
Arizona Cardinals have the best O-Line!

Originally posted by dtcomposer:

You can pay $26 to find out how they do it...but I decided to look Neil Hornsby up and read an interview of him. A business consultant who loves football...you too can sign up to be a PFF consultant! Just email the site and fill out the form.

Not saying it's an inaccurate site but until I see a list of their analysts...

Edit: In the interview he mentioned that there are few good lines at the moment. Most teams are having difficulty. Didn't want to spend time comparing but I was wondering if any of you had the first four games this year versus last as far as sacks go?
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 5, 2012 at 6:56 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone