There are 254 users in the forums

Is Randy Moss a late season secret weapon ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by rk1642:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Moss would be a weapon if smith actually knew where he was out there. he's over looked moss on a few sure TDs this season but none as glaring as that one last week, gore had time to point him out to smitha nd he still didnt see him

That is correct but doesn't take into any other factors durning the play.

Who was the 1st, 2nd and 3rd reads? If Moss was anything other than the 1st read, its a moot point that he was open. Alex only had time for his #1 read then had to scramble and once your qb scrambles all bets are off.

I would love it for our OC to dial up better pass plays with a 2 deep jet or the like. Or how about using Crabtree to rub off a db and let Moss come clean? I see other teams using this tactic all the time to great effect but not us?

So, you are telling that if the coverage is man, and Moss isn't Alex's original 1st read, it is the OC's fault that Alex doesn't care if it is man coverage and takes a shot at Moss?

Are we forgetting that the QB is the one with the most power once that radio is turned off?

And please tell me Roman or JH will be super pissed if Alex makes the decision to throw to Moss when he reads man coverage. I'm sure that won't be the case.
Moss was jammed at the line last week.....actually very well contained (with some serious holding and PI) but just because he's 1v1 doesn't mean it is always a lock. Sitting and waiting is a great way to get a coverage sack or force something.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Moss would be a weapon if smith actually knew where he was out there. he's over looked moss on a few sure TDs this season but none as glaring as that one last week, gore had time to point him out to smitha nd he still didnt see him

Who was the 1st, 2nd and 3rd reads? If Moss was anything other than the 1st read, its a moot point that he was open. Alex only had time for his #1 read then had to scramble and once your qb scrambles all bets are off.

I would love it for our OC to dial up better pass plays with a 2 deep jet or the like. Or how about using Crabtree to rub off a db and let Moss come clean? I see other teams using this tactic all the time to great effect but not us?

So, you are telling that if the coverage is man, and Moss isn't Alex's original 1st read, it is the OC's fault that Alex doesn't care if it is man coverage and takes a shot at Moss?

Are we forgetting that the QB is the one with the most power once that radio is turned off?

And please tell me Roman or JH will be super pissed if Alex makes the decision to throw to Moss when he reads man coverage. I'm sure that won't be the case.
Moss was jammed at the line last week.....actually very well contained (with some serious holding and PI) but just because he's 1v1 doesn't mean it is always a lock. Sitting and waiting is a great way to get a coverage sack or force something.

No, if a QB knows it's man coverage and a deep ball is a possibility, then it won't take longer than 2 seconds to let that ball go...so, no coverage sack. Also, some WR's get the respect of officials if there's the slightest contact and Moss is one of them.

But Alex will never know this because it wasn't written on the chalkboard.
Originally posted by jreff22:

No, if a QB knows it's man coverage and a deep ball is a possibility, then it won't take longer than 2 seconds to let that ball go...so, no coverage sack. Also, some WR's get the respect of officials if there's the slightest contact and Moss is one of them.

But Alex will never know this because it wasn't written on the chalkboard.
Randy being held at the line doesn't = a deep ball TD. If he cant get free Alex is throwing a ball up for the hell of it...? No thanks with Earl Thomas sitting back deep.

Wrong on the second point, Moss got raped by their DB's and nothing was called.

I said this during and after the game that the PI was VERY BAD and NEVER CALLED!!

Jim agrees
http://www.king5.com/sports/Niners-coach-Seahawks-physical-play-175259521.html
come on guys it would not matter if we had jerry, TO, and randy in their prime cause alex can't throw any of them any kind of ball anywhere on the field with any consistency. we could have skeletons on the field (7 on 7) and alex would either miss high or overthrow by 7 yards. its not hard. no one is effective when the QB consistently misses throws an above average NFL QB can make and misses reads an above average NFL QB can make. so no harbaugh is not saving anyone except maybe tolzien or kapernick for late season dominance....muuaaahhhhhh mmmmmuuuuaaahhhhhhhhhh
  • dj43
I wish I had seen something from Moss that indicated he will be a late season weapon. He clearly no longer has the speed he once had. He was clearly getting mugged by the Seattle DBs but he wasn't running free against the Giant DBs either. If he is to be a weapon, he has to be able to do it against the top teams. This offense is capable of winning against weak and mediocre defenses without Moss but cannot win against the top tier with the receivers this team has. Moss might be a hope but a more realistic addition would be the emergence of AJ Jenkins.
Originally posted by dj43:
I wish I had seen something from Moss that indicated he will be a late season weapon. He clearly no longer has the speed he once had. He was clearly getting mugged by the Seattle DBs but he wasn't running free against the Giant DBs either. If he is to be a weapon, he has to be able to do it against the top teams. This offense is capable of winning against weak and mediocre defenses without Moss but cannot win against the top tier with the receivers this team has. Moss might be a hope but a more realistic addition would be the emergence of AJ Jenkins.

i think its more the following.....
moss has seen smith attempt to throw to him a couple times with the majority of them being insanely uncatchable and 1 underthrow (the 55 yarder) that was caught. so i think moss is dogging it knowing that even if he wins the battle at the line and gets open the qb can't get the ball to him and thus why bother trying. i think that is where moss is and we know he has done that before in his career. we have good wrs. ginn is our worst receiver for sure. crabs, moss, manningham, kyle, VD, Delaine are better than what many teams have. you can't keep blaming the wrs.
Originally posted by ninersush:
Originally posted by dj43:

i think its more the following.....
moss has seen smith attempt to throw to him a couple times with the majority of them being insanely uncatchable and 1 underthrow (the 55 yarder) that was caught. so i think moss is dogging it knowing that even if he wins the battle at the line and gets open the qb can't get the ball to him and thus why bother trying. i think that is where moss is and we know he has done that before in his career. we have good wrs. ginn is our worst receiver for sure. crabs, moss, manningham, kyle, VD, Delaine are better than what many teams have. you can't keep blaming the wrs.

He's been getting open, the guys on the pregame show Thursday showed it. So dj's insinuation about his speed and ability is incorrect. We would not have acquired him if he was not fast.

I do think he is beginning to get that thinking that his efforts are beginning to not be worth it. To a point where it seems as though his frustrations are somehow finding their way onto another WR.
Share 49ersWebzone