There are 143 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

After the first 4 games...

Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Biggest is zone blocking with the OL. Protect your gaps above all.. help your OL buddy only if they are in bad trouble and you are free to do so...

Don't assume Staley can pass block on an island. Have backs chip block to help.. more block and releases for the backs.

OL play through the whistle.

Extra JUGS practice for our WRs.

Have our CBs practice press coverage (and even a bit of holding down the field) vs our WRs. Lots of deep routes for Alex and WRs to get in sync.

Teach all of our guys (particularly backs) to learn to cut block more efficiently.

Practice the f**k out of defending screens and reverse short flat passes vs quick RBs and WRs. I worry about Spiller and Jackson hurting us with this on Sunday.

Give Bowman some reps on the JUGS machine also.

Teach Tuku better on not false starting, and teach Miller to better locate someone to block as he leads the way.

Teach Alex to throw the ball out of bounds instead of taking a nasty shot when there is no target open. And let's get a bit more pump-fakes involved, Alex.

Show Goodwin the plays where he gets lazy and half-assed on his blocks... tell him he is not immune to being replaced.

Wow, I don't know if you missed a single thing! Nice work...really!

Hey, when it comes to our Niners, I haz an obsessed.

Alex looked great in the first 2 games but did not play very well in the last 2. I think the D will be fine and we'll run the hell out of the ball but the pass offense needs to gel if this team really wants to win the Superbowl. Having said that, If you told me in August 3-1 with 3 out of 4 on the road (2 east coast games and a trip to Lambeau) I'd sign up for it every time.
Originally posted by sachie23:
Alex looked great in the first 2 games but did not play very well in the last 2. I think the D will be fine and we'll run the hell out of the ball but the pass offense needs to gel if this team really wants to win the Superbowl. Having said that, If you told me in August 3-1 with 3 out of 4 on the road (2 east coast games and a trip to Lambeau) I'd sign up for it every time.

Yes, and the loss not being against the Pack is another bonus. If we get another shot at the Vikings (in the playoffs) I think we will take them to pieces.
Originally posted by verb1der:
We need more passing yards, running wild like we did vs the Jets will not work against the more elite teams.

As long as we are able to run the ball effectively, you won't see big passing yards. If you can do it, running is a much safer way to move the ball (lower chance of turnover, higher chance of gaining positive yards, better clock management, etc).

We are committed to the run because we do it better than pretty much anybody in the league. IF we happen to face a team that is able to shut down our running game, then you will see a pass emphasis in the game plan.
I really would like to see some quick score capability, which means deep balls. At some point we'll need it.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I really would like to see some quick score capability, which means deep balls. At some point we'll need it.

A key to Harbaugh's philosophy is that when you score quickly, you give the other team the ball. Unless you are behind, a long drive with a score at the end accomplishes much more. And if you are way ahead, just slide at the 5 yard line.
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:
A key to Harbaugh's philosophy is that when you score quickly, you give the other team the ball. Unless you are behind, a long drive with a score at the end accomplishes much more. And if you are way ahead, just slide at the 5 yard line.

It is a very simple concept, yet there seem to be some that just do not grasp it. It is called percentage football and it is a proven philosophy. The longer you are on the feild on offense the fresher your defense stays and the chances of your opponents offense getting into a rhythm. Guys seem to forget that when we have had to move the ball quickly under Harbaugh, we have been successful more often than not.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

It is a very simple concept, yet there seem to be some that just do not grasp it. It is called percentage football and it is a proven philosophy. The longer you are on the feild on offense the fresher your defense stays and the chances of your opponents offense getting into a rhythm. Guys seem to forget that when we have had to move the ball quickly under Harbaugh, we have been successful more often than not.
There's also another part of that philosophy that an offense is your best defense. (by Making other teams one dimensional)
Offense: 3rd down conversions, Deep ball chemistry, clean up shifts bc some guys actually false start.

Defense: Cycle the DL a smidge more even though it's DIFFICULT to take those guys out for a few plays
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

There's also another part of that philosophy that an offense is your best defense. (by Making other teams one dimensional)

We just need the ability to do both. We have yet to show a quick strike offense this year. Everything is slow and plodding. It also feels like the longer it takes us to move the ball down field, the more opportunity there is for error. When you're trying to drive 80 yards dinking and dunking all it takes is one false start or one bad play and we're punting. I'm not sure if the stats check out, but if feels like a 2nd and 15 is a drive killer for us.

At the end of the day, I'd like to see us play with a killer instinct. I know the Patriots dont have a D like ours, but they wont hesitate to put up a 50 burger on you if they can. They are a go from start to finish, which I think really helps in the big games. As far as I can tell, we are a "just do enough to win" type of team. I just dont think you can be great at big plays if you never practice in real games.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

We just need the ability to do both. We have yet to show a quick strike offense this year. Everything is slow and plodding. It also feels like the longer it takes us to move the ball down field, the more opportunity there is for error. When you're trying to drive 80 yards dinking and dunking all it takes is one false start or one bad play and we're punting. I'm not sure if the stats check out, but if feels like a 2nd and 15 is a drive killer for us.

At the end of the day, I'd like to see us play with a killer instinct. I know the Patriots dont have a D like ours, but they wont hesitate to put up a 50 burger on you if they can. They are a go from start to finish, which I think really helps in the big games. As far as I can tell, we are a "just do enough to win" type of team. I just dont think you can be great at big plays if you never practice in real games.

The way we are playing is great for Regular season...but then it leaves our player beat up from taking hits on these short plays (extended runs)

and thats why we didnt have anyone for the most important game (NFCCG)
Better on third and more than five. I know this is difficult for most teams, but it's an area where we can be more consistent. Also, there have been some drops. And the deep passing game obviously. Overall, we are all nitpicking and this team has been very solid all the way around.
Other than the 3rd down conversions, I don't worry too much about any of the other issues being brought up in this thread. They're all either very fixable or minor issues compared to our inability to consistently convert on 3rd downs....that's the one area that could come back to haunt us in critical games/playoffs if we don't correct it.
Originally posted by COD4:
I believe we are not getting the same pass rush with 4 lineman as we got last year....im part i think justin is a year older, and aldon is playing all downs and maybe is more fatigued when it comes to 3rd down. Ive noticed Fangio blitzing more in order to get pressure so far...

Did you know that Aldon Smith had 1 1/2 sacks last year at this time (after 4 games) and has 4 1/2 this year? could be 5 1/2 had it not been him losing a sack against the Jets due to a penalty...So How is it Aldon is slowing down? Could it be more teams are paying more attention to J Smith? and well not sure if you know this part but by him taking up more bodies getting less stats frees up guys like Bowman and Willis...
To be honest (And Ive said this before) As long as the Niners are winning who cares what they do...I mean would you rather have Alex Smith throwing for 200 yds a game with 1 Int every 4 games or would you rather have Cam Newton throwing 300yds a game and winning 5 or 6 games a year? If you'd rather have C Newton stats go become a Panthers fan...

Everyone here wants the 70 yd TD plays How many times did J Montana throw airing it out? Seriously... not too many most of his throws were intermediate throws jusat had guys like J Taylor or J Rice that could make a 10 yd pass into a 70 yd TD. I remember Taylor against the Rams score 2 TDs that werew 90+ yds in the same game each pass was like 5 or 10 yds...So you cant really blame low yd totals on A Smith.

Honestly I think the fans here would find something to complain about if the niners won the next 3 SBs
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home