There are 125 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

After the first 4 games...

• Chico
  • Veteran
YAC - haven't seen that in awhile
Whitner - catch the damn ball! You had not one but TWO interceptions for TDs!!!
Speed - we have nothing but possession receivers
Alex - QUIT HESITATING!!!
Originally posted by Chico:

agree with 1, 2 and 4. We have so much speed though. Kyle Williams,Ted Ginn, and Jenkins ARE FAST we just need to utilize them
There are many areas that we could improve in, but if we want the biggest bang for our buck, I'd say developing some sort of deep passing game. We should be taking about 5-7 shots per game. If we can just hit on about 2-3 of them (which isn't a great percentage at all), I'd say that could easily add an extra 7 to 10 points per game on the board for us.

I don't think that will change our identity. We can still run the ball as much as we'd like, especially with extra scores on the board, and keep Alex throwing about 20-30 passes per game. This will force defenses to not only cover every inch of the field, but also to decide who they want to cover because you can't double team everyone. I'd also like to see less rotation of the receivers during games. It seems like they could get into more of a rhythm if they didn't have to come out every 2 plays. Allow Moss, Crabtree, and Manningham on the field together, especially in the first half while we are trying to build up our lead.

Also, even though we haven't seen the deep connection yet, Randy Moss is NOT a possession receiver. You don't draw 3 defenders 30 + yards downfield if you are simply a possession receiver. You are a legitimate threat that opens up the run game, draws coverage away from Vernon Davis, and you open up underneath passes for the backs and Michael Crabtree.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
There are many areas that we could improve in, but if we want the biggest bang for our buck, I'd say developing some sort of deep passing game. We should be taking about 5-7 shots per game. If we can just hit on about 2-3 of them (which isn't a great percentage at all), I'd say that could easily add an extra 7 to 10 points per game on the board for us.

I don't think that will change our identity. We can still run the ball as much as we'd like, especially with extra scores on the board, and keep Alex throwing about 20-30 passes per game. This will force defenses to not only cover every inch of the field, but also to decide who they want to cover because you can't double team everyone. I'd also like to see less rotation of the receivers during games. It seems like they could get into more of a rhythm if they didn't have to come out every 2 plays. Allow Moss, Crabtree, and Manningham on the field together, especially in the first half while we are trying to build up our lead.

Also, even though we haven't seen the deep connection yet, Randy Moss is NOT a possession receiver. You don't draw 3 defenders 30 + yards downfield if you are simply a possession receiver. You are a legitimate threat that opens up the run game, draws coverage away from Vernon Davis, and you open up underneath passes for the backs and Michael Crabtree.

This is all I want for Christmas (hopefully, a couple months before).
Also, what nonexistent pass rush? Aldon has 4 1/2 through 4 games. I think people mistakenly thought his sack numbers would double or triple with more time out there lol.
Also, what nonexistent pass rush? Aldon has 4 1/2 through 4 games. I think people mistakenly thought his sack numbers would double or triple with more time out there lol.

He had .5 sack this time last year
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Unfortunately, he seems to be the only guy getting pressure this year. J.Smith seems to be playing like it's 2010 (which is very good, but not like last year) and Brooks doesn't seem to be getting much pressure either.

My feeling is we've focused so much on the pass (dropping guys into coverage) we are putting too much pressure on our front 3 or 4 to create pressure. They constantly have to play against double teams. I'd imagine it really starts to wear on them physically. We need more rotation or I feel like we are burning our guys out.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Oct 3, 2012 at 10:44 PM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Unfortunately, he seems to be the only guy getting pressure this year. J.Smith seems to be playing like it's 2010 (which is very good, but not like last year) and Brooks doesn't seem to be getting much pressure either.

My feeling is we've focused so much on the pass (dropping guys into coverage) we are putting too much pressure on our front 3 or 4 to create pressure. They constantly have to play against double teams. I'd imagine it really starts to wear on them physically. We need more rotation or I feel like we are burning our guys out.

Yeah guys keep running into double teams...gonna get injured doing that
Originally posted by dmax:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Biggest is zone blocking with the OL. Protect your gaps above all.. help your OL buddy only if they are in bad trouble and you are free to do so...

Don't assume Staley can pass block on an island. Have backs chip block to help.. more block and releases for the backs.

OL play through the whistle.

Extra JUGS practice for our WRs.

Have our CBs practice press coverage (and even a bit of holding down the field) vs our WRs. Lots of deep routes for Alex and WRs to get in sync.

Teach all of our guys (particularly backs) to learn to cut block more efficiently.

Practice the f**k out of defending screens and reverse short flat passes vs quick RBs and WRs. I worry about Spiller and Jackson hurting us with this on Sunday.

Give Bowman some reps on the JUGS machine also.

Teach Tuku better on not false starting, and teach Miller to better locate someone to block as he leads the way.

Teach Alex to throw the ball out of bounds instead of taking a nasty shot when there is no target open. And let's get a bit more pump-fakes involved, Alex.

Show Goodwin the plays where he gets lazy and half-assed on his blocks... tell him he is not immune to being replaced.

Agreed x2

All of these are great points! One thing I would add--throwing in fun plays (Passes to DLinemen, etc) is a double edge sword. When it works and the game is going well it raises the players and fans enjoyment level, but in a game like Minn (and the NYG playoff game) it distracts from and sometimes hurts the focus. I would guess it is worth the risk to keep everyone loose.

I still agree with you on much of this... but on that Moss bomb, we only had two legit receivers working the field as possible targets. (8 man max protect).. so the DBs could either cover deep on Moss or break away for Crabtree on a deep drag and never make it there in time.

( If Ck7 would have seen Crabtree running the deep drag, he had his CB trailing and beaten and would probably have been a 40 yard gain after the RAC )
Originally posted by Chico:

I remember 1 Whitner had vs. Minnesota? What's the other one?....
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I remember 1 Whitner had vs. Minnesota? What's the other one?....

2nd quarter vs NYJ... when Goldson pops the sh*t out of Holmes and the ball hangs up. Whitner dove for it, and it would have been a spectacular INT. Understandable that he didn't snatch it... but if he'd have just flipped/tipped it up? we had Niners in the area that would have had it.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
More screens.
YAC, 30+ yard throws caught in stride, Moss
Defensive penalties

WR's getting in the end zone (Crabs!)

3rd and short play calling. (Stop calling the sprint out to D Walker)