There are 172 users in the forums

After the first 4 games...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
What are the areas that the team needs to work on....

3rd & 1

The deep throw connection

I can't think of any other area that needs a lot work. Maybe red zone TD scoring. Having Jacobs back should help with the 3rd&short. Smith has been connecting with his receivers on short and intermediate passes with good percentage completions on them. I think this team is nearly complete to compete.

What's the evaluation after the first 4 games?
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Oct 3, 2012 at 5:20 PM ]
All I want to see is smith hitting that deep connection when he does throw it deep and Jacobs should help our short yardage situations.
like to see more pass TDs..i don't care how we get to the redzone..but it's tough to run the ball in RZ
We need more passing yards, running wild like we did vs the Jets will not work against the more elite teams.
Red zone offense was a big problem last year...........................................
Biggest is zone blocking with the OL. Protect your gaps above all.. help your OL buddy only if they are in bad trouble and you are free to do so...

Don't assume Staley can pass block on an island. Have backs chip block to help.. more block and releases for the backs.

OL play through the whistle.

Extra JUGS practice for our WRs.

Have our CBs practice press coverage (and even a bit of holding down the field) vs our WRs. Lots of deep routes for Alex and WRs to get in sync.

Teach all of our guys (particularly backs) to learn to cut block more efficiently.

Practice the f**k out of defending screens and reverse short flat passes vs quick RBs and WRs. I worry about Spiller and Jackson hurting us with this on Sunday.

Give Bowman some reps on the JUGS machine also.

Teach Tuku better on not false starting, and teach Miller to better locate someone to block as he leads the way.

Teach Alex to throw the ball out of bounds instead of taking a nasty shot when there is no target open. And let's get a bit more pump-fakes involved, Alex.

Show Goodwin the plays where he gets lazy and half-assed on his blocks... tell him he is not immune to being replaced.
DEEP completions and big chunks. Yes LONG methodical drives are great, but we still need to prove we're capable of getting big chunks and making explosive plays when we need too. Our explosive players are Vernon, Kyle, Hunter, and even Moss if we could get him some nice deep completions.
Still the third down, which I hope will be remedied when Jacobs comes back. Also, more shots downfeild on 2nd and short. The D, ST and O, have yet to play a complete game. Use of Moss downfield more.
I'd like to see Hunter get a little better with blocking in the backfield, a couple of of sacks Alex has taken could have been prevented with proper blocking, Hunter lunges towards the persuing defensive player a little too quickly killing his leverage.
I'd really like 2 see Moss have a good game vs. Bills. I think it would give the Giants a lot to think about in game planning against our O...

Bring back Sing as a red zone O coach because we were really good in the red zone with Sing
Originally posted by NYCNINER:
I'd really like 2 see Moss have a good game vs. Bills. I think it would give the Giants a lot to think about in game planning against our O...

The Giants already have enough to plan with for our D if Nicks is still out. But I get what your saying
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Third downs is still suckage.

Down field passing game is non existent.

Short yardage run game is hit and miss.

Pass rush seems a little weaker this year.

Special teams coverage units are not the same level as last year. Also Akers is not as automatic.

Biggest problems are still the same as last year third downs and lack of big plays in the passing game.
Originally posted by susweel:
Third downs is still suckage.

Down field passing game is non existent.

Short yardage run game is hit and miss.

Pass rush seems a little weaker this year.

Special teams coverage units are not the same level as last year. Also Akers is not as automatic.

Biggest problems are still the same as last year third downs and lack of big plays in the passing game.

All of this
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Biggest is zone blocking with the OL. Protect your gaps above all.. help your OL buddy only if they are in bad trouble and you are free to do so...

Don't assume Staley can pass block on an island. Have backs chip block to help.. more block and releases for the backs.

OL play through the whistle.

Extra JUGS practice for our WRs.

Have our CBs practice press coverage (and even a bit of holding down the field) vs our WRs. Lots of deep routes for Alex and WRs to get in sync.

Teach all of our guys (particularly backs) to learn to cut block more efficiently.

Practice the f**k out of defending screens and reverse short flat passes vs quick RBs and WRs. I worry about Spiller and Jackson hurting us with this on Sunday.

Give Bowman some reps on the JUGS machine also.

Teach Tuku better on not false starting, and teach Miller to better locate someone to block as he leads the way.

Teach Alex to throw the ball out of bounds instead of taking a nasty shot when there is no target open. And let's get a bit more pump-fakes involved, Alex.

Show Goodwin the plays where he gets lazy and half-assed on his blocks... tell him he is not immune to being replaced.

Agreed x2
Share 49ersWebzone