There are 139 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Has Tukuafu been an effective blocker?

I've been trying to see if Tukuafu has been doing a good job as a blocker, but I'm not sure. I could be wrong, but does it seem like every time Tukuafu is in blocking, one of the following happens?:

- Gore bumps into him and falls down.
- He dives head-first into a pile and doesn't actually get a block.
- The opposing defensive line seems to get tremendous penetration.
- He commits, or becomes dangerously close to committing, a false start.

I'm probably only noticing only the plays where he doesn't do a good job, but I kind of feel like having Bruce Miller in at fullback is still just as good, or even better.

Thoughts?
rather let Jacobs do it now
I hope Jacobs is back soon, we need a short yardage back badly. We need to rest Gore, and Hunter isn't a big back by any means. So we need Jacobs back, which may be this weekend, he said he off twitter for the season to focus on playing, so I guess that points to him being healthy now.
Originally posted by Wubbie:

Thoughts?

It's been real hit or miss with Tuku. Sometimes he pops someone yet doesn't destroy him like you'd expect such a large beast to do. Sometimes he blocks the wrong target. Sometimes he just clogs a rush lane a la Norris. Sometimes he gets a good one in.

So.. real hit or miss. I'd say he was better in the NYJ game than any other. Still needs some work.
Tukuafu is good in miso soup
  • mod
  • Veteran
I dont understand how he can be so dominant against Chargers but not so much during the regular season... is the twists, stunts and LB cross blitzes confusing him? Those are things he probably didnt see much in preseason.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I hope Jacobs is back soon, we need a short yardage back badly. We need to rest Gore, and Hunter isn't a big back by any means. So we need Jacobs back, which may be this weekend, he said he off twitter for the season to focus on playing, so I guess that points to him being healthy now.

I have a feeling next weekend Jacobs will be active, there have been some small reports of him being ready, and he has stopped all social media use to focus on the game now (or at least thats what im assuming).
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Wubbie:

Thoughts?

It's been real hit or miss with Tuku. Sometimes he pops someone yet doesn't destroy him like you'd expect such a large beast to do. Sometimes he blocks the wrong target. Sometimes he just clogs a rush lane a la Norris. Sometimes he gets a good one in.

So.. real hit or miss. I'd say he was better in the NYJ game than any other. Still needs some work.

Agree. Seems like he either blocks the backs lane or misses the easy block.
I agree. He is hit or miss.

But what do you expect from somebody who never played the position before?

Not everybody could be Bruce Miller.

I like to see Brand Jacobs there. We would have 2 choices to hand the ball to.
Defense has to watch out for 2 not just key off one.

Go 9ers!
No, he's not effective lead blocking.
There is a big difference between preseason and the real deal. If you noticed in the first game he whiffed on a ton of block because he was eager to hit, so defenders just sidestepped him, now he is trying to break down before the block and its making him slow. He was a fun toy, but Miller is much more consistent. The preseason experiments are fading away as the season gets more intense.
What's with Harbs infatuation with converting DE's into FB's
He was great in the pre-season against 2nd-stringers. He seems in over his head during real games. I'd rather have Miller 10 times out of 10.
I think he's too slow. He gets in the way. And doesn't get on his blocks fast enough. He's basically too big to be effective. I think Bruce Miller is better honestly as a traditional fullback. Because he has so much more speed and explosion. He gets up there fast. Everytime we use Tukuafu it almost always turns out bad. I just don't see the effectiveness at all. It's more of a gimmick.
i don't like that jumbo b******t. Those fat b*****ds just get in the way of the RB
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home