There are 96 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Week 4: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) Alex Smith: No TDs or Picks, so won't update the Tally this week. Not a BAD game, but not one of his best. 0-5 on third down, but three of them were dropped. Had 3 or 4 big chances at big plays down the sideline to Manningham and Crabtree and missed them. Even his supporters would admit that pass isn't his strong suit. Manningham had a shot at one of them tho and may have actually been held on the other. The Crabtree pass tho was clearly overthrown.

I was SOOOOO happy to see those plays called! I know that Alex slightly overthrew both Crabtree and Manningham. But all of them were just a couple of feet from being big gains or even TDs. Those are tough throws and I expect we will see more of them completed as the season goes on. I thought there was some illegal contact from the Jets on some of them.

In any case, they will keep practicing them and will get better as the season goes on. Bottom line... those plays will not go unnoticed by our upcoming opponents.
Originally posted by blm7754:
In any case, they will keep practicing them and will get better as the season goes on. Bottom line... those plays will not go unnoticed by our upcoming opponents.

Originally posted by natrone06:
I just rewatched as well. Agree with everything except for #4.

When I first watched I thought Alex played worse then he did. Some of those obvious overthrows really stood out in my mind. After re watching I'm actually ok with how he played. He made some nice throws and did pretty well in the pocket.

I agree. I rewatched last night and Alex did not play nearly as bad as I originally thought.

On a separate note, 23 seconds left in the 1st half, to call a designed bootleg to set up Akers while still possessing a timeout and not throw it into the endzone is a real headsscratcher.
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Oct 1, 2012 at 10:48 AM ]
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Marvin,
Don't forget Goldson laying the wood once again to force a fumble. Dude is good.

I've always thought he was a good safety but never an elite one...his weakness being coverage. He keeps playing like this and I may have to reassess my opinion. He's been looking really good.

Two years ago, he was playing hurt and did not complain about it. This was mentioned by both the Matts. Goldson was not healthy AT ALL throughout 2010. He showed he can cover last year.
Originally posted by susweel:
1) Alex Smith: No TDs or Picks, so won't update the Tally this week. Not a BAD game, but not one of his best. 0-5 on third down, but three of them were dropped. Had 3 or 4 big chances at big plays down the sideline to Manningham and Crabtree and missed them. Even his supporters would admit that pass isn't his strong suit. Manningham had a shot at one of them tho and may have actually been held on the other. The Crabtree pass tho was clearly overthrown.

come on man really

Dude has stunk it up the last two weeks big time. Missing wide open player constantly and taking unnecessary sacks but I guess its not BAD by his standard. lol

They won by 34 points and 3 of his third down passes were dropped.

Jeez dude, get some new material.

come on man really

Dude has stunk it up the last two weeks big time. Missing wide open player constantly and taking unnecessary sacks but I guess its not BAD by his standard. lol

I know they won 34-0 but it wasn't because of Alex. They could have have 50-0 if he had played a semi decent game but whatever.

come on man really

I know they won 34-0 but it wasn't because of Alex. They could have have 50-0 if he had played a semi decent game but whatever.

SMH.

come on man really

SMH.

seriously Marv, he doesn't know those were great 120 yards passing
marv's monday morning review

A win doesn't always equal good QB play. Alex Smith's passes tend to be dropped more because his ball placement isn't where it needs to be.
Kendall Hunter ran really well I thought.

All 4 LB's had very good games across the board.

Secondary played well.

Special teams had their best game.

Offensive line played well, plenty of time to throw and the run blocking was effective.

Only negative was the down field passing, not being able to throw beyond the 15 yard range is going to impact the running game. Alex needs to stop sucking at the longer throws.
Originally posted by DirtyP:

A win doesn't always equal good QB play. Alex Smith's passes tend to be dropped more because his ball placement isn't where it needs to be.
if it hits your hands you catch it
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DirtyP:

wow, when i saw crabs drop three in the chest vs the saints last year I should have known it was the fault of alex and "ball placement'. how come you were not around here after the first two games of the year talking about the horrid ball placement of alex? if it is the scurge of the niner team like you say it is, I would think the media or JH would address this. I guess they are just not dialed in like you are
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Don't get excited, Walker dropped more than he caught.
thank you,, I knew I was getting to excited
Originally posted by jreff22:
if it hits your hands you catch it

Uh actually players in the NFL drop passes that they can get they're outstretched hands on all the time.