LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 314 users in the forums

Week 4: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1) Alex Smith: No TDs or Picks, so won't update the Tally this week. Not a BAD game, but not one of his best. 0-5 on third down, but three of them were dropped. Had 3 or 4 big chances at big plays down the sideline to Manningham and Crabtree and missed them. Even his supporters would admit that pass isn't his strong suit. Manningham had a shot at one of them tho and may have actually been held on the other. The Crabtree pass tho was clearly overthrown.

2) Manningham: Even tho I thought he should have given a better effort on one of those sideline passes, that guy overall is playing very well. Quick, explosive, and very good with the ball in his hands. I think he's a guy they may be looking to extend after the season the way they did with Rogers this year.

3) Goldson: I've said many times that I'm not his biggest fan, but I have to give it up to him. He's playing very well this year. That pass breakup on the deep pass was one of the best plays in coverage I've ever seen him make.

4) Vernon: This isn't a criticism, its more of a concern. Is it just me or does he just not seem to be moving as well as he usually does (which for Vernon is still pretty damn well). I'm not worried that he's lost it or anything (nothing could be further from the truth), I'm just wondering if he's more hurt than the Niners are letting on. I know he acknowledged a foot injury when he missed the dunk in GB and he was on the injury report with a bad back, but he just seems a step slower than normal. Again tho, that would still make him the fastest TE in the NFL.

5) Kaep: Loved the packages he was in. Love his mobility, size, and arm. This is a great way to get him into games a prep him for the future. That future tho is still a long ways off. Lets not go crazy. He threw one pass and it was into triple coverage and it was incomplete. So Tebow is a big, strong athletic QB who can run and is a fine young man who happens to be very religious. Well I'll see you ALL of that and add tall, fast, big arm, and can actually pass. Kaepernick>Tebow.

6) Aldon: He's back. ;-) MONSTER in this game. 2 sacks, should have had 3 (one was wiped out by penalty), great against the run, tossed Tebow like a rag-doll. Outstanding.

7) O-Line: Dominant. Anthony Davis playing like a pro-bowler. Boone playing better than I ever could have expected. Iupati being Iupati. Goodwin solid. Staley is up and down. Very good in run game and then still gives up a sack. On the whole tho, very impressive.

8) Gameplan on O: Isn't it nice to have an offensive innovator by the Bay again? My only concern is losing Roman to another team. Sure, Harbaugh is fantastic, but these guys have something together. I hope we don't lose him too soon.

9) Lord Fangio: I hate to say it, but I think he'll be a head coach next year. My guess is that the Niners know that and they will be choosing between Ed Donatell or maybe even Jim Leavitt to replace him. Dunno...but Fangio has been stellar and the league will notice.

10) Again, adjusting expectations: I mentioned this a few weeks ago. This team has come a long way. Our Niners just went into New York and SPANKED the Jets 34-0 and the stuff that keeps sticking out in my mind are the missed deep throws, the dropped 3rd down passes, the missed field goals and the mercy slide at the end. Its a great time to be a Niner fan.
I'm curious to know whether or not the Option packages with Kaep were something they decided to install in the offense this past week, or whether or not that had been part of the offense for a while. My guess is they had been saving those packages for a while, in which case I believe it was a great place to bring them out on the road, and after the defeat in Minnesota. Seemed to give the team a much needed spark IMO.
Great review....was very much looking forward to it since I missed the game live and have only seen up to mid 3rd quarter so far....(when was that Goldson bomb break up?).

I can't put the Smith game into perspective until I see it or read about it in the Marv Report.

I like the Kaep packages and wouldn't mind seeing them in every game this year, if nothing else but to give D coordinators more to worry about.

BTW, my input on Alex Smith overall is that I think he elevates his play for the tougher competition (kinda like Eli). I'm a bit concerned now, but I think we will see steady improvement next week and perhaps some surprising play the week after. After all, he threw perhaps his greatest deep pass last season on Thanksgiving.
I just rewatched as well. Agree with everything except for #4.

When I first watched I thought Alex played worse then he did. Some of those obvious overthrows really stood out in my mind. After re watching I'm actually ok with how he played. He made some nice throws and did pretty well in the pocket.
Originally posted by The_Distort:
I'm curious to know whether or not the Option packages with Kaep were something they decided to install in the offense this past week, or whether or not that had been part of the offense for a while. My guess is they had been saving those packages for a while, in which case I believe it was a great place to bring them out on the road, and after the defeat in Minnesota. Seemed to give the team a much needed spark IMO.

They said its been in every week, used it in GB right before Akers kicked his 63 yarder and again used yesterday
good break down

1. Yea solid game and he missed on the deep balls. To me that's b/c they rarely try to go deep. They need more attempts before you see more connections.
2. Yea they need to get the ball in his hands more often. Or it was really bad tackling.
3. I'm not talking bad about him anymore unless he makes a bad play. He's balling, and won't be easy to replace..
4. Not a concern
5. agree
6. agree and Raymac was all over the place yesterday.
7. agree
8. i think some college will come calling but this offense isn't explosive enough for any NFL teams to come calling
9. doubt it. he's too old to get a head coaching gig. Teams would probably hire Ray Horton or a younger guy before him.
10. super bowl coming

Originally posted by The_Distort:

Just the 1st time they used them. We saw Kaep run some read options in the pre season. I think they have worked on these packages all off season. Let's not forget the run Alex made against the Saints. So I think they have had some qb runs/options in the playbook for awhile. Just haven't used them
Very impressed with the pass protection by the line. Couple of sacks on Smith looked like coverage sacks. Smith and Kaep had time in the pocket.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Oct 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM ]
#2 don't think we need to extend Manningham...pretty sure he signed a 3 year deal.
It was good to see Delani Walker get a bounce-back game. He's struggled early, but had a very good game.

This game was a little deceiving in terms of passing, as our running attack was so damn successful. Why would you thrown it when you can run it down their throats. But we did leave several big plays out there. Honestly, the Kaep to Moss pass was pretty damn close. I know Randy has made that catch in his career, good to see. And as you said, Manningham dropped one big pass and Alex overthrow two others.

Each game should be viewed separately. We played exactly how we wanted to in order to win. We just have to live with an underwelming passing attack. We are winning and that's all that matters.
Overall, looks good to me, Marvin.

Marvin,
Don't forget Goldson laying the wood once again to force a fumble. Dude is good.
[ Edited by Joecool on Oct 1, 2012 at 10:10 AM ]
Good observations as always Marvin. I would like to add to yours by adding in consistency as something the 49ers are building into this team. If the first four weeks are any indication, we kind of know what to expect of the 49ers and that is a combination of player talent AND coaching talent. We know the defense is going to be solid and, at the very least, keep games within reach. We know the Alex is going to efficient but not great (by Brady/Rodgers standards). We know the running game will be there and the special teams will make plays. This is nice to see because too often this team has been plagued by inconsistency all across the board. When people play the Packers or the Patriots they know what to expect but can they stop it? I'm glad the 9ers are entering that territory.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

3) Goldson: I've said many times that I'm not his biggest fan, but I have to give it up to him. He's playing very well this year. That pass breakup on the deep pass was one of the best plays in coverage I've ever seen him make.

They need to pay this man. The guy is the complete package, and IMO the best safety in the NFL (I don't care what anyone says about them dudes in Seattle), and you can bet that he's one of those rare players that WR's fear when they watch him on film. He fits the mold of good ol' #42
Originally posted by Jakemall:
#2 don't think we need to extend Manningham...pretty sure he signed a 3 year deal.

Hrmm...you may be right. For some reason I thought it was another 1 year deal.
Thanks for singling Manningham out for consideration. He appears to be the guy that will punish a defense for playing smart, competent football by upsetting their ability to compensate for VD/Crabtree/Moss. Moreover, his ability to break tackles and move the ball after the catch is a very welcome addition to the offense. To my mind, he looks like he's poised to be the guy that upsets the balance of opposing D's. I'm looking forward to seeing his further development within the offense.
[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Oct 1, 2012 at 10:15 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone