1) Alex Smith: No TDs or Picks, so won't update the Tally this week. Not a BAD game, but not one of his best. 0-5 on third down, but three of them were dropped. Had 3 or 4 big chances at big plays down the sideline to Manningham and Crabtree and missed them. Even his supporters would admit that pass isn't his strong suit. Manningham had a shot at one of them tho and may have actually been held on the other. The Crabtree pass tho was clearly overthrown.
2) Manningham: Even tho I thought he should have given a better effort on one of those sideline passes, that guy overall is playing very well. Quick, explosive, and very good with the ball in his hands. I think he's a guy they may be looking to extend after the season the way they did with Rogers this year.
3) Goldson: I've said many times that I'm not his biggest fan, but I have to give it up to him. He's playing very well this year. That pass breakup on the deep pass was one of the best plays in coverage I've ever seen him make.
4) Vernon: This isn't a criticism, its more of a concern. Is it just me or does he just not seem to be moving as well as he usually does (which for Vernon is still pretty damn well). I'm not worried that he's lost it or anything (nothing could be further from the truth), I'm just wondering if he's more hurt than the Niners are letting on. I know he acknowledged a foot injury when he missed the dunk in GB and he was on the injury report with a bad back, but he just seems a step slower than normal. Again tho, that would still make him the fastest TE in the NFL.
5) Kaep: Loved the packages he was in. Love his mobility, size, and arm. This is a great way to get him into games a prep him for the future. That future tho is still a long ways off. Lets not go crazy. He threw one pass and it was into triple coverage and it was incomplete. So Tebow is a big, strong athletic QB who can run and is a fine young man who happens to be very religious. Well I'll see you ALL of that and add tall, fast, big arm, and can actually pass. Kaepernick>Tebow.
6) Aldon: He's back. ;-) MONSTER in this game. 2 sacks, should have had 3 (one was wiped out by penalty), great against the run, tossed Tebow like a rag-doll. Outstanding.
7) O-Line: Dominant. Anthony Davis playing like a pro-bowler. Boone playing better than I ever could have expected. Iupati being Iupati. Goodwin solid. Staley is up and down. Very good in run game and then still gives up a sack. On the whole tho, very impressive.
8) Gameplan on O: Isn't it nice to have an offensive innovator by the Bay again? My only concern is losing Roman to another team. Sure, Harbaugh is fantastic, but these guys have something together. I hope we don't lose him too soon.
9) Lord Fangio: I hate to say it, but I think he'll be a head coach next year. My guess is that the Niners know that and they will be choosing between Ed Donatell or maybe even Jim Leavitt to replace him. Dunno...but Fangio has been stellar and the league will notice.
10) Again, adjusting expectations: I mentioned this a few weeks ago. This team has come a long way. Our Niners just went into New York and SPANKED the Jets 34-0 and the stuff that keeps sticking out in my mind are the missed deep throws, the dropped 3rd down passes, the missed field goals and the mercy slide at the end. Its a great time to be a Niner fan.