LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 212 users in the forums

defense has regressed

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I'm not even gonna lie or be quiet about it. I want the 4-3 incorporated. Sopoaga is hurt... Aldon sucks at play recognition as a rush LB.. we want to kick arse with this personnel? 4-3 and then Nickel for the extra WRs... ( unpopular, but Fangio is no stranger to the 4-3 )
by the way how is big sop?

He's hurting and very doubtful for this game. Might even miss another or so. I like RJF enough as 3-4 NT, but our strengths are currently looking better with a 4 man line... mixing in Brooks as LE and LOLB depending on the offensive sets and down/distance.
Originally posted by susweel:
Tom Brady takes teams to the super bowl even with the worst defense in the NFL.

Can we haz him please? No? didn't think so. We can't haz the few "elitez"... so what now???
Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:
Blah blah blah complain complain complain,,, then after we smash the Jets, you'll be like "why arent we #1in the power polls?" there are some whiny dudes up in here! Sit back, keep calm- and Trust in Harbaugh.

I do not think anyone is over reacting. I just think many are voicing some minor concerns. I do not think those concerns are tragic, again we just need to get back to some things and play with energy and desire. those things were lacking in a fluke midwest time loss to the vikings. i do not think we were exposed in any area that can not be fixed

I hear ya,Good teams always have to make adjustments during the season. Teams study you, and you have to adjust. No big deal. I didnt think we'd go 16-0 im ready to beat those Tebows
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by verb1der:
u keep saying "fluke" what are you going to say if the 49ers lose to the Jets, a double fluke?! or will you admit some things need to be fixed?

i hope ur right tho
oh no. I have said many times,, if we come out and show the same "effort" and " execution" this weekend, then we have issues. i am convinced, the time change and just lack of energy made up a fluke loss. how else can you explain the fact we did everything and I mean everything wrong on one day that we usually do well. That is how i define a fluke. I do not believe in having to lose in order to learn but if you do not learn from a loss, thats a double negative
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:
Blah blah blah complain complain complain,,, then after we smash the Jets, you'll be like "why arent we #1in the power polls?" there are some whiny dudes up in here! Sit back, keep calm- and Trust in Harbaugh.

I do not think anyone is over reacting. I just think many are voicing some minor concerns. I do not think those concerns are tragic, again we just need to get back to some things and play with energy and desire. those things were lacking in a fluke midwest time loss to the vikings. i do not think we were exposed in any area that can not be fixed

u keep saying "fluke" what are you going to say if the 49ers lose to the Jets, a double fluke?! or will you admit some things need to be fixed?

i hope ur right tho

on a good balanced team through out the year both side will have to bail each other out in tough situations because $hit happens

With both side play great then that equals a blow out win

We are lucky to even have two wins..if it wasnt for the defense
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Our offense put up 9 scoring drives on the first two teams... many of them long drives.

Our defense allowed 6 scoring drives on the first two team...

Please don't act as if our D is doing it all.
[ Edited by oldman9er on Sep 28, 2012 at 10:35 AM ]
too much parity in the nfl for one team to be the overwhelming #1
on a good balanced team through out the year both side will have to bail each other out in tough situations because $hit happens

sounds fair to me!

oh no. I have said many times,, if we come out and show the same "effort" and " execution" this weekend, then we have issues. i am convinced, the time change and just lack of energy made up a fluke loss. how else can you explain the fact we did everything and I mean everything wrong on one day that we usually do well. That is how i define a fluke. I do not believe in having to lose in order to learn but if you do not learn from a loss, thats a double negative
If we beat the Jets convincingly then I'll accept it was probably a fluke, but even then I'm still concerned about this team getting "out physical'd" by some of the more physical teams in the league (Vikes, Ravens, Cards, Giants, etc...) whom we've all lost to in the Harbaugh era. On the other hand, finesse teams like Packers, Lions, Saints...are not to be worried about.
It's funny to look at a stat like this and extrapolate so much about the defense to the point of saying it's regressed.

For one thing...it's a small sample size along with the fact that there isn't a ton of points of interest over the course of the year to look at anyway. It's a stat that will fluctuate from year to year no matter who the team or coaching staff is because it just simple doesn't happen that often. Think of it like a defensive stat for outfielders in baseball compared to at bats for that same OF. Not the best comparison, but I think it makes my point.

Let's be honest, the 49ers were going to have a hard time mantaining their success in the redzone that they had last season, but at the same time, does anyone in their right mind think they will continue the same trend this season of giving up a TD on every single redzone trip.

I find it more interesting that the 49ers have only 5 redzone trips against them and 3 of those came against the Vikings. This is after playing the Lions and Packers who have pretty damn good offensive units. The Niners defense has not be as dominate last year, but some good things to look is also that they have not given up too many big plays either. I'm sure their has to be a stat for that. Teams are still having to work pretty hard to get yardage and into the redzone vs them.

I chalk it up to an anomaly this past week and move on.

And yes, not paying attention to the flaws on defense (and special teams btw) and looking straight at Alex Smith is just plain dumb.
[ Edited by elhebrewhammer on Sep 28, 2012 at 10:38 AM ]
It was one bad week.... if the Jets repeat what the Vikings did, then let the sky fall. But until then I'm of the opinion that the vikings won the lottery of luck on 3rd downs and the offense just came out with a horrible gameplan.

But god if we dont handle the Jets....

• cciowa
  • Veteran

ugh,. this is becoming such a tiresome talking point. as oldman has pointed out, this is not the case. If you could not see how well our offense did in the first two games and how much better we looked on those drives which ended up in touchdowns,,, there is nothing i can do for you and your agenda
I think its impressive that we've only allowed 6 touchdowns in 3 games, especially if you consider we played two elite offenses.

Also, its very impressive that in three games, opposing teams only entered the red zone 5 times.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Sep 28, 2012 at 10:51 AM ]

Our offense put up 9 scoring drives on the first two teams... many of them long drives.

Our defense allowed 6 scoring drives on the first two team...

Please don't act as if our D is doing it all.

ugh,. this is becoming such a tiresome talking point. as oldman has pointed out, this is not the case. If you could not see how well our offense did in the first two games and how much better we looked on those drives which ended up in touchdowns,,, there is nothing i can do for you and your agenda

with those comments..then the offense should take more of the blame for this last game ?

like it or not the Defense right now is giving giving up a low 20s point average..Which means we need to score TDs not FGs this year..and AS is in the driver seat
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Sep 28, 2012 at 10:56 AM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
Tom Brady takes teams to the super bowl even with the worst defense in the NFL.

Can we haz him please? No? didn't think so. We can't haz the few "elitez"... so what now???

We could easily have Brady if we just ask the Patriots. Same with Aaron Rodgers or even Brees. Our ignorant front office refuses to make a simple phone call though so we stuck with Smith.
Let's see...one bad game...two good ones. So, yeah, they're regressing, alright. Pa-leeze.
Share 49ersWebzone