There are 208 users in the forums

defense has regressed

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
Originally posted by Method:
This year opposing teams are 5-5 in the red zone. Last year the 5th red zone td against us came in work 6. Regressed. (Per mike Sando).

And yet people would still like to talk about Alex smith.

is that right?? 5 for 5? that is...scary

you have to talk about smith...He's in the driver seat of the most important part of the team..the part that scores points

and we need him to score points..who care what the Defense does or doesnt
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Not sure why people are patting themselves on the back about Haralson.

( and this is coming from someone that wanted to keep him and his salary for one more season )

What we couldn't know... is that Aldon is much slower as a base 3-4 rush LB. Could be some fatigue... could be play recognition... I say it is a mix of both.

Most people talking about keeping him? The talk was keeping him as a valued # 3... not a starter on base downs. So you can stop the strutting and understand the distinction.
come on man. it is a serious topic but i for one was just trying to poke fun at myself for my meltdown I really did not understand why alot of people did gloss over this issue when he got hurt. I think we really messed up his replacement big time
To this point in the season, yes, the defense looks to have regressed a little bit. This is what EVERY analyst and reporter expected. Not because our defense isnt good....but because historically it is next to impossible to maintain such a high turnover ratio and what not.

Its just funny that in the offseason when myself and a few others made the claim "that our D will regress slightly and we need our offense (specifically Alex and the passing game) to improve" we were ridiculed by the Alex fan club.

Fast forward to present day, and what we were saying has come true (to this point). We need our offense and specifically the passing game to step up. That way we wouldnt lose to teams like the Vikings.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
This year opposing teams are 5-5 in the red zone. Last year the 5th red zone td against us came in work 6. Regressed. (Per mike Sando).

is that right?? 5 for 5? that is...scary

you have to talk about smith...He's in the driver seat of the most important part of the team..the part that scores points

and we need him to score points..who care what the Defense does or doesnt

Thats not entirely true. If our Defense was playing lights out holding people to say 15 or so and under i have complete confidence that Alex can lead this team to score more points. Our defense is the glaring point to blame here because most of our success and team identity is based around them. not Alex so we need to care what the defense does
Originally posted by kingairta:
And yet the team is 2-1 with wins against GB in GB and against the Lions.

And yet the team is 0-1 against the Vikings.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Not sure why people are patting themselves on the back about Haralson.

( and this is coming from someone that wanted to keep him and his salary for one more season )

What we couldn't know... is that Aldon is much slower as a base 3-4 rush LB. Could be some fatigue... could be play recognition... I say it is a mix of both.

Most people talking about keeping him? The talk was keeping him as a valued # 3... not a starter on base downs. So you can stop the strutting and understand the distinction.
come on man. it is a serious topic but i for one was just trying to poke fun at myself for my meltdown I really did not understand why alot of people did gloss over this issue when he got hurt. I think we really messed up his replacement big time

Perhaps so, but the issue now is that he is no longer an option to give Aldon competition as the base rush LB. Would some other option have been better to perhaps replace Aldon in base downs? Merriman? Who? .. and would be so quickly shove Aldon back down to Nickel D only anyway? I think not. I'm not overjoyed by our rush LB depth either... but we have to hope Aldon learns quickly (play recognition) because in base 3-4, he is slowed and forced to think... and it is affecting his QB pressure.
Blah blah blah complain complain complain,,, then after we smash the Jets, you'll be like "why arent we #1in the power polls?" there are some whiny dudes up in here! Sit back, keep calm- and Trust in Harbaugh.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Perhaps so, but the issue now is that he is no longer an option to give Aldon competition as the base rush LB. Would some other option have been better to perhaps replace Aldon in base downs? Merriman? Who? .. and would be so quickly shove Aldon back down to Nickel D only anyway? I think not. I'm not overjoyed by our rush LB depth either... but we have to hope Aldon learns quickly (play recognition) because in base 3-4, he is slowed and forced to think... and it is affecting his QB pressure.
i would have signed andre carter. well you asked actually aside from a small worry about pass rush i am ok with the defense. we just need to get back to tackling well like we did in the first two games,,, we do that and keep people in front of us and not drop picks, we are just fine
Originally posted by susweel:

Yes because asking a QB to carry a team ludicrous.

eli manning seems to do that every game lol, hes a one man team.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:
Blah blah blah complain complain complain,,, then after we smash the Jets, you'll be like "why arent we #1in the power polls?" there are some whiny dudes up in here! Sit back, keep calm- and Trust in Harbaugh.

I do not think anyone is over reacting. I just think many are voicing some minor concerns. I do not think those concerns are tragic, again we just need to get back to some things and play with energy and desire. those things were lacking in a fluke midwest time loss to the vikings. i do not think we were exposed in any area that can not be fixed

i would have signed andre carter. well you asked actually aside from a small worry about pass rush i am ok with the defense. we just need to get back to tackling well like we did in the first two games,,, we do that and keep people in front of us and not drop picks, we are just fine

I'm not even gonna lie or be quiet about it. I want the 4-3 incorporated. Sopoaga is hurt... Aldon sucks at play recognition as a rush LB.. we want to kick arse with this personnel? 4-3 and then Nickel for the extra WRs... ( unpopular, but Fangio is no stranger to the 4-3 )
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:

am really trying to talk about defense here. lets not let green do anything sunday, not get sucked in to anything like we did on the first score the vikings had last week. tackle well, no yards after the catch
Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:

I do not think anyone is over reacting. I just think many are voicing some minor concerns. I do not think those concerns are tragic, again we just need to get back to some things and play with energy and desire. those things were lacking in a fluke midwest time loss to the vikings. i do not think we were exposed in any area that can not be fixed

u keep saying "fluke" what are you going to say if the 49ers lose to the Jets, a double fluke?! or will you admit some things need to be fixed?

i hope ur right tho
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I'm not even gonna lie or be quiet about it. I want the 4-3 incorporated. Sopoaga is hurt... Aldon sucks at play recognition as a rush LB.. we want to kick arse with this personnel? 4-3 and then Nickel for the extra WRs... ( unpopular, but Fangio is no stranger to the 4-3 )
by the way how is big sop?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:

Tom Brady takes teams to the super bowl even with the worst defense in the NFL.
Share 49ersWebzone