LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 149 users in the forums

defense has regressed

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
It's only been 3 games. Calm down.

i agree,, however it would please me if we could get a little bit better pass rush moving forward. and please lets get back to good tackling which we got away from last sunday
Originally posted by Method:
Ok. It's not an issue. Brush it off. Our defense is sooooo good in the redzone, this stat is lying to us

Lol dude. Aaron Rodgers and Matt Stafford combined for two touchdowns against us. Take a chill pill
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
It's only been 3 games. Calm down.

The Packers and Lions are 2 of the most prolific offenses in football. I think Ponder is obviously a very underrated QB. I thought he was a star in college. It looks like he is coming along well. And they always play well in the dome. I think it will even out over time as we go.
It is too soon for this thread. Let's see what happens this Sunday. If a trend begins, then maybe it's time to start worrying.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
I just wish we actually HAD some rotation in our Outside linebacking core

Agreed. This is the biggest problem with our defense. The P. Haralson injury could prove to be one of the biggest losses of the season. You could tell that the Vikings were going after Aldon. Without Haralson rotating in, Aldon Smith is just an average every down player.... not the dominant pass rushing force that he was last year.

I said it in the offseason. And everyone bashed me. Lol at the people who thought releasing Haralson would've been the right thing too
Originally posted by marshniners24:
I said it in the offseason. And everyone bashed me. Lol at the people who thought releasing Haralson would've been the right thing too

Aldon Smith has been excellent against he run and has 2.5 sacks in three games

Agreed. This is the biggest problem with our defense. The P. Haralson injury could prove to be one of the biggest losses of the season. You could tell that the Vikings were going after Aldon. Without Haralson rotating in, Aldon Smith is just an average every down player.... not the dominant pass rushing force that he was last year.

He's pass rushing great. Check the stats and watch the games....

Now in coverage he sucks and gets burned for TD's. That's a completely separate and different issue. And as an every down player they can line up guys on that side to challenge him in coverage. He doesn't seem fast enough and has bad hand skills to knock the ball down. They take advantage of him in coverage like the Vikings did. Run stopping he looks surprisingly pretty good overall.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

i waas right there with you in this regards and I was very critical for the botched way they handled his replacement process. Of course I was accused of putting to much stock into a back up linebacker. since the two kids we drafted at number one and two are not doing anything,,, maybe we should have picked hill in the first round as a wide out and then got a linebacker defensive end guy in the second round. not valuable now to talk about but still...
I haven't seen excellent pass rush. I've seen glimpses of good pass rush. But you have to admit, being an every down player this year, his pass rush dominance has diminished.
I blame Alex Smith

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DirtyP:
you are corrrect, I think some of us are just a bit worried about lack of depth here and it would be nice if we had a guy who could come in from time to time to rush the passer. In looking back now i sort of wished they would have spent a higher pick on one of these types of guys instead of waiting till late in the draft to get our two backers . They got hurt and yes you can not foresee that. I am just a bit worried about our pass rush over all. not tragic but just a titch worried
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Yeah, but we shoulda taken J.J Whatt. He's been great, and we coulda put him in for that Justin Smith guy.

Woulda made a big difference.

Seriously, the rest of the league has seen our defense for a year, and have made some adjustments on how to attack it.

I'd like to see Fangio mix it up a little more, throw in some more blitz packages, etc. He obviously knows what he's doing, tho, and adjusts the defense to address the strengths of whatever offense he's facing every week.

I hope Ian Williams gets activated this weekend, with Soap out, and gets some snaps. He looked really good in preseason.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
I blame Alex Smith

Me too! I mean, Alex Smith is limited.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
I blame Alex Smith

Me too! I mean, Alex Smith is limited.

THis
There is no such thing as "Perfect" especially in the NFL.

Teams have tons of film on us and they are doing their homework.

Just the fact that we beat 2 VERY good teams with basically the same D is most impressive.

Personally, I can't wait for the blitz packages I believe Fangio is holding in his hand.
Share 49ersWebzone