There are 184 users in the forums

defense has regressed

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Not saying defense hasn't regressed some but that defense last year was one of the best in of the last decade in the nfl. It probably isn't realistic to think they could do that again. Anyways, 100 of the 150 yards rushing pretty much came after they gave up. Only gave up 193 yards passing. Not really that worried except about the pass rush. Other than that I am fine. I do think we might have to start playing press coverage and start blitzing to manufacture sacks because last year we didn't need to do that and could just send 4. I'd look at upgrading in the draft with a pass rusher DE and/or OLB and maybe a CB though.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by Bryant4everYoung:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
regressed all the way to #2
Lol
I hope we keep regressing

This thread was ridiculous from the start. A knee jerk reaction after the Minnesota loss which was our D's only off game.

'i would say this thread has some merit.

I agree. Our defense looks great vs teams with no running threat. But when teams attack with balance, it's a whole different story.
Dropped interceptions and the lack of passrush
Does anyone know how the Giants ran against us yesterday? Where was the breakdown? Guys ran through some pretty big holes. Where was Willis and Bowman, and is that performance based on run design or our guys getting flat out beat? That was very unusual.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Not saying defense hasn't regressed some but that defense last year was one of the best in of the last decade in the nfl. It probably isn't realistic to think they could do that again. Anyways, 100 of the 150 yards rushing pretty much came after they gave up. Only gave up 193 yards passing. Not really that worried except about the pass rush. Other than that I am fine. I do think we might have to start playing press coverage and start blitzing to manufacture sacks because last year we didn't need to do that and could just send 4. I'd look at upgrading in the draft with a pass rusher DE and/or OLB and maybe a CB though.

Saying we only gave up 193 passing is so misleading. Giants had short fields. No problem passing against us when needed, coulda been a lot more if they weren't able to run the ball so well and control the clock. Our pass defense was bad, don't sugar coat things.

And then saying no reason to worry other than pass rush ('its just pass rush')...umm..other than QB play, there might not be anything more instrumental to winning in today's league. HUGE CONCERN
[ Edited by BayAreaNinersFan on Oct 16, 2012 at 1:26 AM ]
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by Bryant4everYoung:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
regressed all the way to #2
Lol
I hope we keep regressing

This thread was ridiculous from the start. A knee jerk reaction after the Minnesota loss which was our D's only off game.

'i would say this thread has some merit.

I agree. Our defense looks great vs teams with no running threat. But when teams attack with balance, it's a whole different story.

sorry, but what a stupid thing to say
Originally posted by BayAreaNinersFan:
Saying we only gave up 193 passing is so misleading. Giants had short fields. No problem passing against us when needed, coulda been a lot more if they weren't able to run the ball so well and control the clock. Our pass defense was bad, don't sugar coat things.

And then saying no reason to worry other than pass rush ('its just pass rush')...umm..other than QB play, there might not be anything more instrumental to winning in today's league. HUGE CONCERN

I never said that. It's a big concern and the pass rush affects the other aspects of the defense. We will just have to manufacture it by blitzing more often and playing more press coverage. Last year we didn't have to blitz much because our front 3 or 4 did the job. As for their passing 15 out of 28 with a 6.9 yard average per pass. Like I said though 100 out of the 150 yards rushing was after we pretty much gave up when we were down 20. It's not like they ran the ball down our throats early on and we couldn't stop them so they didn't have to pass. They did a good job passing on 3rd downs though... eli had pinpoint accuracy. Yeah, the short fields did hurt their yardage though.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 16, 2012 at 4:18 AM ]
Our defense played fine last game. Before 4th they had given up just over 200 yards. By then though game was over and they gashed us on ground for about another 100.
  • Apone
  • Veteran
Last year Harbaugh and Co snuck up on everyone else, in a lock out year. There was no tape on the new guys. Nothing on the jumbo packages, 3 RB set, and the same on defense. NFL is a league that picks up things very quickly. After a year, with offseason teams have done there homework. They know what the 49ers are going to do (they're not being surprised), and let's be frank it's not an ultra complex offense or defense. I think it's more to do with other teams being better prepared than anything else

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Does anyone know how the Giants ran against us yesterday? Where was the breakdown? Guys ran through some pretty big holes. Where was Willis and Bowman, and is that performance based on run design or our guys getting flat out beat? That was very unusual.

If you look at the tape a lot of those big gashes came in the second half when the game was really out of reach. Under Harbaugh, that might be the first time where I saw the team look discouraged and to some extent the defense being tired.
Originally posted by Apone:
Last year Harbaugh and Co snuck up on everyone else, in a lock out year. There was no tape on the new guys. Nothing on the jumbo packages, 3 RB set, and the same on defense. NFL is a league that picks up things very quickly. After a year, with offseason teams have done there homework. They know what the 49ers are going to do (they're not being surprised), and let's be frank it's not an ultra complex offense or defense. I think it's more to do with other teams being better prepared than anything else

If you look at the tape a lot of those big gashes came in the second half when the game was really out of reach. Under Harbaugh, that might be the first time where I saw the team look discouraged and to some extent the defense being tired.

Thanks!

I guess for the first time someone else could say, "they quite."

...which is why last year was OUR year
Originally posted by Apone:

Thanks!

I guess for the first time someone else could say, "they quite."

Yes, they are quite a mess right now
[ Edited by Allx9er on Oct 16, 2012 at 1:41 PM ]
They were put in positions that they're not normally put in. We're not used to playing -3 in the take over game. Giants have short fields to work with, the luxury of a balanced attack and we end up with a poor defensive performance.

You look at the season so far and we held Green Bay, Detroit in check. Completely shut down Buffalo and New York. The defense is fine. You're just not going to have 16 shut outs.
Holy over reaction batman!!!

i dunno. it felt like Bradshaw was in check all game. i think the D finally just wore out in the 4th and they broke a couple nice runs. could be wrong, i don't wanna watch the game again.
Share 49ersWebzone