LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 297 users in the forums

49er/Minn Coaches Film Pass Offense Analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Just the opposite...I invite it! In fact, BrianGo did his research, watched the tape, pointed out a nice against-the-grain analysis of the pressure Aldon Smith provided and a few other points that stood out to him regarding a few plays we left on the field. I respect that. As to the "haters" it looks like a few of you are doing some tape-watching yourself and that is great. As long as ppl are objective and are not using it to match their pre-determined POV and providing insight, I'm all for it.

For instance, I'm not singling out Staley...but when you watch tape over and over over the years, you start to see trends; things start to stand out to you; jump out. And he was a player who started to jump out to me negatively. From him I started watching the OL (like oldman9er and others) even more closely and started to see how it has not only affected the play of Alex and the receivers, but the RB's and TE's (having to stay in to block), which lead to more jumbo/max-protection calls which apparently, has lead to a single-option receiving offense.

Yet, the "haters" are still blaming Alex for all of this. They see ONE person and focus their POV on him. They aren't seeing the big picture, the ripple effect, etc...in fact, they aren't seeing ANYTHING other than Alex errors and have impossible, Superman Madden/FF-like play expectations. And THAT makes them a "hater" in every sense of the word IMHO.

Heres the thing though, as much as you may be right about a few people, you cannot seriously tell me that you believe Staley was the worst performer in this game in particular, or the reason we lost. He was not. He was going up against Jared Allen who is probably the best pass rusher in the entire league and Staley had far more good plays than bad. Meanwhile, Alex Smith had probably his worst game since we lost to the cardinals last year and it was against a very pedestrian secondary. Our playmakers came out flat and Alex Smith couldn't do anything to spark the offense and get us rolling. However if anyone says such a thing you call them a hater whether their critique is accurate or not.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by mkmasn:
First Drive
1. Great kick return followed by 2 runs and a roll out. Davis had a designed outlet, but it looks like he let his block go to soon. Alex could have floated it over Gore and a defender to hit Crabtree in the end zone.

Thank you. Finally someone aside from me has posted about this. This is yet another easy TD that Alex missed against Minnesota. Everyone wants to b***h about the two runs after the big kick return, but fail to acknowledge that on third down, Crabtree was wide open in the endzone when Alex was rolling right.

This is a play that needs to be made 10 times out of 10.

Can someone then explain to me how Crabtree was open there with # 33 breathing down his neck? I have looked from TV to that linked thread and there is nothing showing exactly where # 33 was in relation to Crabtree... only that he had to be very close.

Seriously... convince me..

If having a 3 yard cushion constitutes "breathing down his neck," fine. Theres really no point in trying to convince you. You have your mind made up. Crabtree was open. He was around 10 yards away from Alex with a few yards of space away from #33. Are you saying that Alex isnt capable of making this throw? Because the opportunity was clearly there.
Did you see Crabtree's reaction after Alex went down? That says it all.
If having a 3 yard cushion constitutes "breathing down his neck," fine. Theres really no point in trying to convince you. You have your mind made up. Crabtree was open. He was around 10 yards away from Alex with a few yards of space away from #33. Are you saying that Alex isnt capable of making this throw? Because the opportunity was clearly there.

No. Not saying anything... what I am asking is.. what source is showing you where # 33 is when Alex is rolling right? When I first begin to see the area Crabtree is, I see # 33 in front of and sticking like glue onto Crabtree. So at what point is Crabtree actually open?

( I'm perfectly fine with believing that Crabtree was open at some point... but what I'm saying is there is no visual proof of this from either my recording or the play shown in that linked thread... so where's the visual on Crabtree being open? )
Did you see Crabtree's reaction after Alex went down? That says it all.

Yup. Does anyone think the WRs are slowly getting frustrated. A couple more losses and 180 yard passing days and it could get messy.

I've hear Manningham make comments. We know Crabs' prior comments. And sometimes it looks like Moss' coming off the field with an upset look.

No. Not saying anything... what I am asking is.. what source is showing you where # 33 is when Alex is rolling right? When I first begin to see the area Crabtree is, I see # 33 in front of and sticking like glue onto Crabtree. So at what point is Crabtree actually open?

( I'm perfectly fine with believing that Crabtree was open at some point... but what I'm saying is there is no visual proof of this from either my recording or the play shown in that linked thread... so where's the visual on Crabtree being open? )

The coaches film shows crabtree open pretty much the whole time. I'd say up until Alex is through 3/4 of his roll out. That's when Crabs has to slow down due to getting near the sideline.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
First Drive
1. Great kick return followed by 2 runs and a roll out. Davis had a designed outlet, but it looks like he let his block go to soon. Alex could have floated it over Gore and a defender to hit Crabtree in the end zone.

Thank you. Finally someone aside from me has posted about this. This is yet another easy TD that Alex missed against Minnesota. Everyone wants to b***h about the two runs after the big kick return, but fail to acknowledge that on third down, Crabtree was wide open in the endzone when Alex was rolling right.

Yup saw that as well. Dude needs to get quicker at making multiple reads instead of sticking to his first then bailing on the play if that gets covered

That's crazy. You don't float anything into the end zone except on a fade -- it will be picked off. A lot of defenders in small areas. The Vikings played that very well. Crabtree and Williams were covered. Gore in front for blocking. VD and Manningham trailing the play going to the right were covered also. The Vikings were disciplined. Staying in all the throwing lane underneath with at least one defender on each of our receivers
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 28, 2012 at 11:50 AM ]
Originally posted by Bootlegger:
There is definitive proof the ball hits Moss' hand. Watch the ball after moss stops running. It takes a different angle and comes out of the spiral. It starts going end over end.

The ball hit the cornerback's left hand not Moss' hand.

If that's the case, the ball would have had to go through Moss like in Madden, which would be a good throw. The DB is on Moss' back shoulder, perhaps a step off. He extends his arm which would have put his hand behind Moss' head.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
First Drive

Yup saw that as well. Dude needs to get quicker at making multiple reads instead of sticking to his first then bailing on the play if that gets covered

That's crazy. You don't float anything into the end zone except on a fade -- it will be picked off. A lot of defenders in small areas. The Vikings played that very well. Crabtree and Williams were covered. Gore in front for blocking. VD and Manningham trailing the play going to the right were covered also.

The only defender who could have made a play would have been the defender behind Gore. Gore was not a blocker, he was an outlet. Crabs was about 5 yards behind the guy with a decent enough angle where Smith could have drop it into.
The coaches film shows crabtree open pretty much the whole time. I'd say up until Alex is through 3/4 of his roll out. That's when Crabs has to slow down due to getting near the sideline.

where is that? is that in that 720 thread that I didn't see?

LOL at Crabtree being covered. Watch the coaches film.

where is that? is that in that 720 thread that I didn't see?

Coaches film thread. At the top.
First Drive

That's crazy. You don't float anything into the end zone except on a fade -- it will be picked off. A lot of defenders in small areas. The Vikings played that very well. Crabtree and Williams were covered. Gore in front for blocking. VD and Manningham trailing the play going to the right were covered also.

The only defender who could have made a play would have been the defender behind Gore. Gore was not a blocker, he was an outlet. Crabs was about 5 yards behind the guy with a decent enough angle where Smith could have drop it into.

Gore in front of Smith is a blocker incase Smith decides to get the 4 yards for the first down. Which Gore recognized. Blocked his guy but wasn't enough, because the defender got past Gore in time to stop Smith short. Makes no sense for Gore to be a receiver or outlet when he's 5 yards behind the first down marker, with Smith rolling out right behind him.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 28, 2012 at 11:55 AM ]

Wide open and easy pass. What happened is he wanted Gore on the roll out. It was covered and Smith failed to make the next throw. This was a theme throughout this game. What is most disconcerning is these short passes are taken in agame we are losing badly.

First Drive

That's crazy. You don't float anything into the end zone except on a fade -- it will be picked off. A lot of defenders in small areas. The Vikings played that very well. Crabtree and Williams were covered. Gore in front for blocking. VD and Manningham trailing the play going to the right were covered also. The Vikings were disciplined. Staying in all the throwing lane underneath with at least one defender on each of our receivers

He could have zipped it to Crabs near the sideline or floated it over the top. You can do that in this situation towards the sideline.

Crabs was wide open. Gore was running a route and was totally covered off the bat. Manninghan was covered.

But the play is easy to Crabs, can't believe he missed it. This was a great play design as well. Poor execution.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Sep 28, 2012 at 12:01 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone