LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

Vikings game in 720p

Shop Find 49ers gear online
will never ever watch lol
For those who say Aldon (or our defense) wasn't getting a pass rush:
19:32 - Aldon collapses the pocket, but the QB quickly floats a perfect pass over the shoulder of the WR.
21:32 - Aldon again. Immediate pressure up the middle, ending the drive.
34:22 - Immediate pressure right up the middle from Aldon, but quarterback scrambles to the left and runs for a first down.
36:22 - Aldon bites on the play action for a half second, but then beats his man and forces the quarterback to scramble yet again. Quarterback makes another big play.
39:46 - Aldon is forced to decoy inside on a designed stunt, where McDonald takes too long to get around the edge. Fangio's got to stop using Aldon as a decoy.
40:30 - Aldon destroys his man and is about to make the sack, but the quarterback makes the play of the game with his feet and runs through the entire defense for a touchdown.
54:05 - Aldon provides instant pressure again as he is unblocked. The quarterback looks to his hot read but they can't make the catch.
54:40 - A carbon copy of the last play. Aldon is instantly on the quarterback, but he finds the exact same hot read, this time he makes the catch for a first down.
55:48 - Aldon beats his man again and the quarterback has to throw the ball away. Aldon has been in the quarterbacks face the last four plays.
57:04 - This is becoming hilarious. Two plays later, Aldon AGAIN forces the quarterback to scramble to the right out of the pocket as he chases him. Ponder makes a perfect throw in tight coverage for a first down despite the pressure.

I don't really feel like going through the whole second half. The first half is where the Vicking's kicked our asses and won the game. They were kicking our asses despite enormous pressure being applied by Aldon Smith. Aldon Smith didn't get a sack, and that's what people care about, but man, please don't say Aldon or "the 49ers" had no pass rush in this game, because that would be blatantly false.
On the first drive Minnesota did nothing but either run, or get rid of the ball instantly on a quick pass. Aldon spent a lot of time in pass coverage. The only time they didn't get rid of the ball instantly was when Goldson was free running at Ponder, where Ponder ran backwards and made a perfect throw for a touchdown on 4th down.
Of the times Aldon actually rushed the pocket, I could only count 2-3 times where he DIDN'T apply big time pressure. He was really dominant in the first half.

A couple other notes:
26:49 - Boone should not have pushed Gore. He was on his feet, had blocks with no one around him, had to beat one man to break a huge play. You only push the running back into the endzone or if there are tacklers hanging on to him.
31:10 - Smith needs to see Gore in the left flat for the first down. He stays with his first read because it is open, but just being open is not good enough on 3rd down. you have to get the first down, which means you have to read the whole field and look for where the defense has opened up.
51:05 - Again Smith goes with his first read. He completes the pass on third down, but it's short of the marker and the other side had Vernon Davis open for a first down if he has a little more patience with the pocket. The "throw to the first open read" mentality is what is causing a lot of our problems on 3rd down. It's helping us on 1st and 2nd down, but we need a different, more bold approach on 3rd down.
I was out of town. Thank you!
Originally posted by BrianGO:
19:32 - Aldon collapses the pocket, but the QB quickly floats a perfect pass over the shoulder of the WR.
34:22 - Immediate pressure right up the middle from Aldon, but quarterback scrambles to the left and runs for a first down.
36:22 - Aldon bites on the play action for a half second, but then beats his man and forces the quarterback to scramble yet again. Quarterback makes another big play.
39:46 - Aldon is forced to decoy inside on a designed stunt, where McDonald takes too long to get around the edge. Fangio's got to stop using Aldon as a decoy.
40:30 - Aldon destroys his man and is about to make the sack, but the quarterback makes the play of the game with his feet and runs through the entire defense for a touchdown.
54:05 - Aldon provides instant pressure again as he is unblocked. The quarterback looks to his hot read but they can't make the catch.
54:40 - A carbon copy of the last play. Aldon is instantly on the quarterback, but he finds the exact same hot read, this time he makes the catch for a first down.
55:48 - Aldon beats his man again and the quarterback has to throw the ball away. Aldon has been in the quarterbacks face the last four plays.
57:04 - This is becoming hilarious. Two plays later, Aldon AGAIN forces the quarterback to scramble to the right out of the pocket as he chases him. Ponder makes a perfect throw in tight coverage for a first down despite the pressure.

I don't really feel like going through the whole second half. The first half is where the Vicking's kicked our asses and won the game. They were kicking our asses despite enormous pressure being applied by Aldon Smith. Aldon Smith didn't get a sack, and that's what people care about, but man, please don't say Aldon or "the 49ers" had no pass rush in this game, because that would be blatantly false.
On the first drive Minnesota did nothing but either run, or get rid of the ball instantly on a quick pass. Aldon spent a lot of time in pass coverage. The only time they didn't get rid of the ball instantly was when Goldson was free running at Ponder, where Ponder ran backwards and made a perfect throw for a touchdown on 4th down.
Of the times Aldon actually rushed the pocket, I could only count 2-3 times where he DIDN'T apply big time pressure. He was really dominant in the first half.

A couple other notes:
26:49 - Boone should not have pushed Gore. He was on his feet, had blocks with no one around him, had to beat one man to break a huge play. You only push the running back into the endzone or if there are tacklers hanging on to him.
31:10 - Smith needs to see Gore in the left flat for the first down. He stays with his first read because it is open, but just being open is not good enough on 3rd down. you have to get the first down, which means you have to read the whole field and look for where the defense has opened up.
51:05 - Again Smith goes with his first read. He completes the pass on third down, but it's short of the marker and the other side had Vernon Davis open for a first down if he has a little more patience with the pocket. The "throw to the first open read" mentality is what is causing a lot of our problems on 3rd down. It's helping us on 1st and 2nd down, but we need a different, more bold approach on 3rd down.

Boom!

A couple other notes:

It's not that we weren't getting pressure, it's that the defense just didn't have a good game.

2:55, second play of the game. Percy Harvin WIDE open.
4:15, fourth play of the game, Rudolph WIDE open.
7:05, eighth play, Rudolph open with space.
8:50, ELEVENTH play, slant, would have gone the distance had it not been a bad throw.
9:29, TWELFTH play, Rudolph WIDE open.
11:50, ENTIRE D bites on PA, Goldson drawn a step too far, corrects himself, hesitates, stumbles, Rudolph WIDE open. TD.
FIFTEEN play drive. 7 minutes 40 seconds.

It didn't get any better.
[ Edited by mkmasn on Sep 26, 2012 at 1:37 AM ]
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
how the hell can you guys watch this again? You guys are amazing

burn this thread

uhhh this
Nice, do you have a site or facebook page that updates when you release new videos?
Originally posted by mkmasn:
It's not that we weren't getting pressure, it's that the defense just didn't have a good game.

8:50, ELEVENTH play, slant, would have gone the distance had it not been a bad throw.
11:50, ENTIRE D bites on PA, Goldson drawn a step too far, corrects himself, hesitates, stumbles, Rudolph WIDE open. TD.

I understand we didn't play well, but some were talking about Aldon not getting pressure this year. "Is the full-time role too much for him? Making him tired?" Etc. So that was the egregious claim I was trying to address.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Doesn't help that there's always a free rusher on those plays..... Stupid O-line....

Alexcuses
Originally posted by mkmasn:

I understand we didn't play well, but some were talking about Aldon not getting pressure this year. "Is the full-time role too much for him? Making him tired?" Etc. So that was the egregious claim I was trying to address.

Fan gio being cute..like putting Willis on TE...minn took advantage of it and that left harvn easily run through the middle of the field

• THEB
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SmileyJetson:
Nice, do you have a site or facebook page that updates when you release new videos?

Nope i usually just post them here somewhere.
Originally posted by goldstandard333:
Doesn't help that there's always a free rusher on those plays..... Stupid O-line....

Alexcuses

Staley and Goodwin have really been the weak links so far this season tho...
Damn so the Qb can make plays even though there is a feroucious pas s rush?

I thought its best to just take sacks.
One thing that I missed when watching the game live that I was able to see with this coaches film is Alex missing yet another touchdown. On 3rd down after Williams big return, while Alex was rolling right, he had Crabtree open heading towards the sideline of the endzone. This is a play that NEEDS to be made. We (Alex) left multiple touchdowns on the field on sunday. This needs to not happen moving forward.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Yes lol I saw both these happen during the game. Was hilarious

Guess he thought Alex was slower or just a result of being a young lineman. The plays might have cancelled each other out. Still really happy with Boone and Davis who I have as .5 sacks combined on the year.

Oh, and TheB... thanks for sharing. Already watched it on Game Rewind though.

Goodwin and Staley have been the one's sucking ass so far

Staley is effen inconsistent. I wonder if we ever move Davis to the left? He just may be ready.
Don't we have staley lock up for cheap long term? I think we should try and chip more on his side with a tightend or a running back, rarely do we see davis knock someone on his ass before going out on a route!
Share 49ersWebzone