There are 262 users in the forums

Week 3: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This was the first loss that I've watched over again just to confirm the criticism of Smith. Which is unfounded. Usually I don't even bother after a loss. Just too painful.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Bill Musgrave OC of the Vikes. Yes he's a former backup qb of the Niners. Props to him for a good game plan against us
In 1991 he had a passer rating of 133.8. Dude was a beast ;) Joe who? Steve Who?
Originally posted by 49erswillbeback:
Bill Musgrave OC of the Vikes. Yes he's a former backup qb of the Niners. Props to him for a good game plan against us
In 1991 he had a passer rating of 133.8. Dude was a beast ;) Joe who? Steve Who?

Prolly have like 10 superbowls now if he had started.
  • Jiks
It's not our mindset, but I sensed this from people that live in a mythical, magical, fantasy world of just expecting that game, that we would win. It just doesn't work that way. Your enemy has a vote on that and they played a very good football game and we got beat. So we've got to bounce back, that's on us, to work and prepare.

-Harbaugh
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
It's not our mindset, but I sensed this from people that live in a mythical, magical, fantasy world of just expecting that game, that we would win. It just doesn't work that way. Your enemy has a vote on that and they played a very good football game and we got beat. So we've got to bounce back, that's on us, to work and prepare.

-Harbaugh

lol Still love the "mythical, magical, fantasy world" phrase.
Great thread as always Marvin.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Alex Smith was off and he is the 49er QB so I support him. The Vikings deserve alot of credit for their game plan and execution. Feel bad for the Jets whom will pay for this last game.
I saw one very distinct similarity between two 49er players on Sunday. Both seemed sluggish and unmotivated on quite a few plays. In coach-speak, they were "halfa$$ing it" way to much. Those players? Randy Moss and Aldon Smith. Moss is well, Moss. Used to it when he isn't getting touches. Aldon? Well, maybe he should skip the up-all-night partying this coming off season and be in a little better shape for next. Of you want to be a starter Aldon, you need to pay the price. Maybe then you will be able to run down that slow quarterback who is rolling out away from you and you won't let up like you did Sunday.

It really seemed that the offensive imagination was gone for this game and the game plan was way oversimplified to the point where it was easy for Minnesota to defend. Defensively they seem overaggressive half the time and sluggish the other half.

My lone describer for the Vikes game if I had to pick one was FLAT. Hopefully this needless loss makes them a little angry.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

-Harbaugh

That was a f**ken awesome quote.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Let me start off by saying the sky is NOT falling. The below are just observations and not an indictment of any of the players. With that said.

1) Running Alex Smith Tally since Eagles game in 2010: 28 Games, 785 Att, 495 Comp, 5730 Yards, 38 Tds, 9 INTs, 96.4 QB Rating (not sure how that rating went up by 2 points. Redid it several times. May have miscalculated last week). Something I have noticed about Alex...he doesn't seem to play well in domes. It seems whenever he's in them the ball tends to sail on him. The same thing happened last year in Detroit and in St. Louis. The Super Bowl this year is in the Super Dome. Hrrmmm...

2) Vernon Davis: Counting playoffs, Vernons last 5 games: 26 Receptions, 461 yards and 8 TDs. I don't know why, but even in games when Alex seems a bit scattershot he seems to be able to hit Vernon just fine. If only he were as accurate throwing to everyone else.

3) D: That was frustrating to watch. There were a number of plays when they just couldn't get pressure and when they DID get pressure Ponder was able to move around and make a play. I think some credit has to be given to Ponder for a great game, but it is a bit alarming how well he was able to play and how he was constantly able to move around and find someone. Hopefully it's just a fluke, but I'm not betting on that.

4) Flat: Yeah, the Niners came out flat, but not as flat as peeps have said. I think it was more a case of the Vikings playing with their hair on fire. Gotta give it up to them, they got up for this game. The Niners didn't just lose this game. They were beaten in every phase. This was the worst game in Harbaughs 2 years in SF. I think in the long run this will look like the 40-8 loss to the Eagles in 1994. This is the game that they will remember all year. Looking back, this will be a good thing...or at least that's my hope.

5) Moss: Even tho he wasn't a huge factor, he WAS getting open. That's promising. Alex had alot of garbage around his legs on a number of throws, but so did Ponder and he was able to complete the big passes. Moss will be just fine and this is the same role he will play all year.

6) Whitner: There is one issue tho that concerens me and this stretches back to last year. Any time the Niners cover the TE with Whitner, that TE has a big day. It started with Witten last year. I like Whitner alot, but he can be a liability in coverage. Rudolph is no slouch and he'll be a good player in this league, but Whitner covering TEs is a problem. Then again most team won't have AP in the backfield for Willis/Bowman to worry about.

7) Kyle Williams: Gotta feel good for the guy. He will always be the guy gave up the ball twice in the NFCCG, but his returns SHOULD have made a difference yesterday.

8) Turnovers: Ug. Bad. Uncharacteristic of this team and one of the reasons I'm not really concerned. Frank is Going to fumble from time to time. It happens. Alex got blindsided and has been very good at protecting the ball. The INT tho....woah....that thing sailed on him.

9) Overall thoughts: This game was bound to happen at some point. Everybody losses at least once and good teams usually drop an unexpected game at some point to an inferior opponent. Give it up to the Vikings for a good game plan and playing well. I think the Jets are in trouble though. This team angry is a scary thou ght.

10) Refs: Bring. Real. Refs. Back. This is freakin' embarassing. I saw several holds of 49er recievers on third down. Then the whole challenge/timeout debacle at the end. I'm not gonna put the loss on the refs. The Vikings won that game, but the officiating is the worst I've seen on any level.

to everything in bold

False premise. Only effective on some drive. How about the 2 consecutive run call after the Williams kickoff returns that got us about 6 yards. And we were in a lot of 3rd& 6-8 that Smith actually converted. You don't run effectively that's why they were in those 3rd and long.

Its kind of hard to run the ball in the redzone when the safeties aren't giving your passing game any respect. Our QB had a bad game
DS PF call was BS!!!!!!
Originally posted by susweel:
Vikings previous 2 games their defense allowed

23/39 260 yards 2tds to Gabbert 2nd year player

20/31 224 yard 2td to Luck Rookie

and our boy Smith

24/35 204 yards 1td 1int

That vikings defense is straight crap and for him to be a 8 year pro and by some on this site called an elite qb(lol) he should have had a much better game.
Man, you are simplistic, lol.
This game looked a lot like the Singletary years:

1. Defense had good plays, and then gave up critical plays
2. Offense sputtered - Smith threw high, Sack-fumble with Staley giving it up, Gore fumbles.
3. Always hoping that just a couple of breaks could put them back in the game to pull out a win.

That was scary deja vu. Singletary was in the building! He jinxed us! LOL.

I just pray this wasn't the "regression to the mean" that everyone says happens. I pray we come out dominant and innovative against the Jets.

And the team leaving their mean - Arizona having a freakish start :(

I can't wait until next Sunday!
[ Edited by HearstFan on Sep 24, 2012 at 8:18 PM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
Thats the thing tho. It ISN'T the "same old Alex". He just had a bad game. All QBs have bad games. Hell, Peyton Manning threw three INTs in the FIRST QUARTER last week. Alex had an 81 rating yesterday and has a 102 rating for the season.

Lets just have some perspective.

PM is on a new team with new players and took a year off because of a severe injury. So that comparison doesnt work.

Only reason he has a decent rating is because he constantly checks the ball down. He passed 204 yards on 34 attempts and that 5.82 yards per attempt which is not good, so that qb rating really doesn't mean much. the fact is he only led the offense to 10 points and thats even with Franky averaging over 6 yards per carry. The first two games was against awful defenses, just look at what 2nd year player Jake Locker did to the Lions 29/42 378 yards 2tds....numbers alex hasn't even come close to.

Uh...yards per attempt is a BIG part of QB rating so the Rating DOES mean something.

Your right....Alex Smith didn't throw the ball 42 times. Sigh.

Ya know what? I'm done. I'm tired of defending Alex to peeps who just want to see him fail so they can be "right".

Moving on.
Exactly, why defend a man to someone who wants to see that man fail regardless of the consequences to the team. I wouldn't even call that person a fan.
Share 49ersWebzone